Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 27,935 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's traffic is bad but that's when comparing it to other southern cities which are mostly much smaller.

Atlanta is just still growing so fast I don't even think they know what they are doing with the road system there.

Last edited by zuuu; 04-24-2007 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,060,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Sometimes I'll run a yellow light, but that's as aggressive as I get. Overtakeing vehicles is not even within the realm of possibility considering I have a four cylinder automatic transmission.
BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Boy do I remember those days driving a Toyota Carolla. I couldn't over take anything worth a damn.... Can't say the same for now

Old 04-24-2007, 11:57 AM

111 posts, read 594,620 times
[quote=atlantagreg30127;615679]_________________________

Cleaner than L.A.? I'm sorry for you guys. Yikes.

QUOTE]

Atlanta is cleaner than L.A. Keep in mind that I flew from Atlanta to L.A., and when I got off the plane in L.A., it was an eye opening experience of just how dirty L.A. is compared to Atlanta.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,514,616 times
No.

It's the most over-rated aspect of this city. Just be smart about where you live, when you drive, and when you drive and you can navigate traffic pretty easy. As I said on another thread - at least Atlanta traffic is predictable and there are decent sized windows of "breaks" during which you can drive across town as much as you want without touching the brakes on the interstates. Generally, the time frame of 8-10am and 3-7:30pm are the "no go" windows for me on the busy sections of road. I strategically picked my residence so as to go against traffic, given I don't drive at peak times (ie, 9am or 6pm). I live 15 miles from work, outside the perimeter, and my commute time is 30 minutes.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 PM

23 posts, read 164,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I don't think the problem in Atlanta is really the highways. It's the back roads and the fact people live 40 miles from their jobs and there is no transit system to get them into town. Most back roads are two lanes and their is no alternative route. It often takes 5-10 minutes just to get through one light every single day because they back up forever, and there is no alternative. Plus the fact people live 40 miles out. In NY you can take a train into the city. Sittting on a train for 40 minutes is a lot easier to deal with then fighting traffic for 40 minutes. Sure the highways suck but they aren't any worse then most big cities, it's the distances people travel and the back roads that are the problem.

I'm not going to argue that traffic in Atl is worse then NY or LA, it's just different. Parts of each system or worse and parts of each system are better. It just depends on your situation.
As a native New Yorker I can tell you without question NO sitting on the train for 40 minutes is not easier than sitting in traffic. The train system here for one thing is way worse than Atlanta's MARTA...sure NYC transit is more frequent but it is no walk in the park.

I agree that anywhere it depends on your situation, its really all about where you live and work anywhere.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:57 PM

185 posts, read 751,843 times
Default That's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuuu View Post
Atlanta's traffic is bad but that's when comparing it to other southern cities which are mostly much smaller.

Atlanta is just still growing so fast I don't even think they know what they are doing with the road system there.
There are no 5 to 10 year master plans for building in the suburbs of Atlanta. Houses are going up all over and the infrastructure cannot handle it.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:22 AM

42 posts, read 203,864 times
Nothing will ever compare to LA traffic...which is always at a standstill... Atlanta traffic is not bad. You can still get everywhere you need to get in 30-45 min.....

Old 04-26-2007, 09:53 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,082,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvettecritney View Post
Nothing will ever compare to LA traffic...which is always at a standstill...
Atlanta traffic is not bad. You can still get everywhere you need to get in 30-45 min.....
The only people I've known who could say that with a straight face were real estate agents.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:50 PM

21 posts, read 89,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicaluv View Post
As a native New Yorker I can tell you without question NO sitting on the train for 40 minutes is not easier than sitting in traffic. The train system here for one thing is way worse than Atlanta's MARTA...sure NYC transit is more frequent but it is no walk in the park.

I agree that anywhere it depends on your situation, its really all about where you live and work anywhere.
I agree. As a native New Yorker as well, riding the New York City transit system is no walk in the park. It is terribly overcrowded, half the time you have someone's armpit in your face and forget about trying to get out of the station. It's like a herd of elephants trying to get out. Nobody lets you move. There aren't enough stairways for all the people to move. For the past 6 weeks there was construction on my line and it was horrible. Not to mention a couple of years ago when they were out on strike. The buses were so crowded, two women were clawing each other's eyes out trying to get on the bus. My commute is an hour an fifteen minutes on an average day and I have to take two trains and a bus. At least in Atlanta, I'll be in the comfort of my own car. After more than 20 years riding the subways and buses, I'm ready for a change.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,323,851 times
The biggest reason most people prefer trains over cars is because that hour commute on a train is almost always going to take one hour. If you're driving in Atlanta your hour long commute in an average 5 day work week is going to take one hour one day, 1:25 the next, 1:15 the next 1:30 the next and two hours on the last (assuming thats friday). Trains are much more predictable then roads (especially in Atlanta). What drives me crazy is when I can't predict my commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta