Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times

Advertisements

It's interesting that the train vs. car debate has turned into Atlanta vs. New York.

Go to DC. Their Metro is a dream. Everything Marta gets wrong (in other words, every single thing), the Metro has gotten right. We should set our sights high, and not just say "Atlanta traffic isn't so bad because the subway in New York is crap, too."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 09:05 AM

21 posts, read 89,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's interesting that the train vs. car debate has turned into Atlanta vs. New York.

Go to DC. Their Metro is a dream. Everything Marta gets wrong (in other words, every single thing), the Metro has gotten right. We should set our sights high, and not just say "Atlanta traffic isn't so bad because the subway in New York is crap, too."
I agree about the Metro. It was a pleasure riding it. It was clean, ran well, no problems. I wasn't saying that Atlanta traffic wasn't bad. I was just saying riding the trains and buses in NYC is not fun.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:27 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjan View Post
I wasn't saying that Atlanta traffic wasn't bad. I was just saying riding the trains and buses in NYC is not fun.
I know what you mean, but no city in the U.S. is similar to New York City, so the comparison holds no water.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 AM

465 posts, read 2,422,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking Greg
Guys, I think she's speaking of cleaner streets maybe, not the smog. I see the smog in L.A. when I'm landing at LAX. I don't think it's as bad here. I've never seen smog hanging over the city of Atlanta, altough I don't doubt the statistics atlantagreg. And she's right, there's more greenery and better housing cost; and that's for sure!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 PM

663 posts, read 1,858,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Guys, I think she's speaking of cleaner streets maybe, not the smog. I see the smog in L.A. when I'm landing at LAX. I don't think it's as bad here. I've never seen smog hanging over the city of Atlanta, altough I don't doubt the statistics atlantagreg. And she's right, there's more greenery and better housing cost; and that's for sure!
I've definitely seen smog over Atlanta area while landing last June. I could barely make out some of the key buildings/roads.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 27,969 times
Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I've definitely seen smog over Atlanta area while landing last June. I could barely make out some of the key buildings/roads.
I drove to Atlanta a few weeks ago and it was relatively smoggy there. I'm used to not dealing with smog so I could definitely smell it also. But hey... that's part of the charm!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:01 PM

60 posts, read 322,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicaluv View Post
As a native New Yorker I can tell you without question NO sitting on the train for 40 minutes is not easier than sitting in traffic. The train system here for one thing is way worse than Atlanta's MARTA...sure NYC transit is more frequent but it is no walk in the park.

I agree that anywhere it depends on your situation, its really all about where you live and work anywhere.

You can live anywhere in NY and be in the city relatively painlessly. The MTA (and NJT) is one of the great things about New York.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,529 times
I wish there were comparisons to chicago. Can anyone offer door to door travel times for comparison?

When I lived off of diversey and the lake I'd bus it to work on lakeshore drive and it took 50 minutes door to door. About a 4 mile commute

When I lived in Rogers Park I'd take the red line and it took an hour. About a 10 mile commute

When I lived 5 minutes from the brown line off of Irving Park it was a 40 minute commute down town. About a 5 mile commute.

From the northwest burbs (schaumburg) I had a 20 minute commute to my train and an hour and 10 minute train ride, then a 10 minute walk. A 35 mile commute.

When I drove in from Schaumburg to the blue line I'd have roughly a 30 minute drive to the blue line, a 30-40 minute el ride, and a 5 minute walk.

When I drove in from schaumburg I had an hour and 40 average minute drive then $15.00 parking.

When we moved south of the city I traveled to work on 294 northwest to elmhurst through 20 miles of highway construction and averaged an hour and 30 minute commute. On a saturday I can make the trip in 30 minutes. On the way home it was consistently over 2 hours due to the 290/294 interchange. The interchange is 4 miles from my work and it regularly took me 40 minutes to get to it. When it rained my commute to work was over 2 hours and my commute home over 3 hours. I had enough of that and got a new job back in the loop.

I now live 35 miles from downtown. When I drive during the summer (school's not in session) it takes me an hour. For the other 9 months of the year the drive is an hour and a half average. I take the train. My train ride is 40 minutes in (50 minutes door to door).This is about as good as I can ask for in chicago. I've been doing it for 15 years.

I'd love a half hour commute from the quiteness of the suburbs. IS this possible in atlanta? That's all I care about. Can I get a 30-40 minute consistent commute if I lived in Atlanta?
Thanks!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:10 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,084,537 times
These threads always get off topic

Old 02-03-2009, 02:52 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,363,071 times
Yes it really is THAT bad. Last year while travelling about i was able to cross every major city on the way in 15 - 20 minutes in rush hour.

Even miami moves. You get pockets of gridlock but then it gets moving again. Atlanta is just gridlock door to door, mostly due to inept drivers and completely arbitrary road markings and lanes. Frankly unless you know the road you will get confused, which causes the 200 cars behind you to put up with you while you figure it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta