Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 PM

184 posts, read 511,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Wow, that was eye opening.
What was eye opening? Had it never occurred to you that not paying attention could lead to a serious collision causing injury and possibly death?
[/quote]

Distracted driving is a big problem, but there are already laws in place to address it. We don't need more useless legislation, we need to enforce the laws we already have. While driving, you are responsible for paying attention and maintaining control of your vehicle. If you fail to do so it shouldn't matter if it was because you were using a cellphone, were reading, fell asleep, or anything else, the consequences should be the same and should be severe. We don't need a law specifically for phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
"Film to Stop Texting and Driving" - BBC

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Film to stop texting and driving

I did'nt really see this has been published anywhere here yet, but the BBC had this posted on their website on August 16, 2009. Hope it is a good illustration. Also it is very graphic and real to illustrate the point.
Personally, I think every parent should sit their kids in front of the computer and make them watch that video (and the parents should pay attention, too).

Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Personally, I think every parent should sit their kids in front of the computer and make them watch that video
Just did earlier with my 13 year old and my 15 year old.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 AM

82 posts, read 250,208 times
I think one point your missing is the fact that the phone has to be held in hand. How do you turn a wheel in a hurry to avoid an issue with a phone in hand. At some point the driver has picked up the phone to answer it, looked at it to see who it was thats calling, or the person going thru contact lists, hanging up the phone, placing the phone down etc. So eyes and both hands are not totally on driving. Believe me you would understand if you had lost a family member in a car accident from some idiot trying to dial a number. If you need a real life incident (such as mine), and not one from the New York Times, pls let me know.

My apologies for being blunt here, but there is no excuse for placing another person's life in jeopardy for talking or texting.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:07 AM

150 posts, read 369,830 times
People will make the case for hands-free devices. But then the conversation itself requires brainpower, even more than a conversation with a passenger. When you're on the phone, you're required to listen harder. Another passenger is more likely to be watching what's happening on the road, while the person on the other end of the phone has no idea.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:10 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmama View Post
People will make the case for hands-free devices. But then the conversation itself requires brainpower, even more than a conversation with a passenger. When you're on the phone, you're required to listen harder. Another passenger is more likely to be watching what's happening on the road, while the person on the other end of the phone has no idea.
Maybe you should ban listening to the radio as well.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
Maybe you should ban listening to the radio as well.
No way!

I'm just stating what National Safety Council research says. They say the radio doesn't engage a driver in the same way a phone conversation would. A previous poster was right... screaming kids are as much a distraction, probably more. (I've been hit in the back of the head by a book, had a balloon float in my face, etc.)

Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmama View Post
No way!

I'm just stating what National Safety Council research says. They say the radio doesn't engage a driver in the same way a phone conversation would. A previous poster was right... screaming kids are as much a distraction, probably more. (I've been hit in the back of the head by a book, had a balloon float in my face, etc.)
When you give it some thought, it makes sense that phone conversations are apt to be much more distracting than radio listening and low-key in-car conversations (screaming kids excepted, of course).

I sympathize with the hands-free enthusiasts, but I think they're engaging in wishful thinking because they don't want to contemplate making an inconvenient lifestyle change and junking the devices they've paid for. Obviously hands-free phoning is safer than hand-held phoning, but that doesn't make it safe enough. I've written it before (post #36) ... either the phone conversation is not important enough to be distracting, in which case it would be OK (maybe not as convenient, but tolerable) to put it off until after driving, or else the phone conversation is important enough to be distracting, in which case it's not safe.

I'm for an outright ban on telephone use of any kind by people driving cars (and trains, trucks, aircraft, etc.), in the interest of public safety. People drove for decades without phoning while doing it. It wouldn't be that hard to go back to that "primitive" condition.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 AM

I don't know much about anything, but I have the unique experience to be able to comment on the research in this topic. I'm an instructional designer, and in the past year, I've worked for both a major wireless provider AND the National Safety Council as a writer for the defensive driving course :-)

Driving is dangerous. There are multitudes of distractions and risks when you're out on the road. The driver's age, mental state, the amount of sleep they've had... and yes, other distractions like kids, phones, food, smokes, the radio... all of it makes a difference in how much attention a driver can give to the road. Defensive driving is not just about not CAUSING an accident, it's about AVOIDING one that might be looming, whether it's an idiot driver or an animal in the road. Minimize as many distractions in your own car as you can, and you improve your chances of getting to your destination safely.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Eventually, there will be laws passed either through the States or on a Federal level, but I do think they will make concessions and write it in such a way that yes, hands-free devices will be allowed, but not holding a phone while driving. I don't think they'll ban it for all uses/devices - just the old style. Speakers or "ear buds/blue tooth" devices will be allowed.

Here's the reality: A sizable number of cell phone users are now addicts. Yes, addicts. They pick up their cells and start making calls and/or texts even before they have pulled out of their driveways in the morning. They're talking on them when they pull in at night. They start dialing out when they leave the shop and store parking lots. They're talking/texting on them IN the shops and stores.... the list goes on. A fair number of "users", are on these things sun up to sun down with only breaks in-between to pee, eat, and say a few words to family or coworkers.

Most people who behave this way will laugh at the very suggestion that they are an "addict", but, take their phones away from them and what would you get? Irritation. Anxiety. Nervousness. Even panic or mild panic attacks for some. In other words, some of the EXACT same symptoms that other types of addicts start to get when you take away their liquor, or cigarettes, or drugs.. etc.

I honestly have no idea how many studies may have been done on this, or if they're ignoring them because they realize the problem is already far too ingrained in too may people to do anything about it. But they realize that if they were to completely ban ALL texting/talking on phones while in cars, the addicts would react by filing tens of thousands of lawsuits against it, saying their "rights" (translation - "drugs") were being taken away from them. The stuff would be tied up in courts for a decade or more. So no, they will never completely ban cell use when driving. They'll just tell people HOW to be a more responsible addict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta