Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 PM

225 posts, read 714,924 times

Advertisements

Try Decatur !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Alpharetta is a very affluent and pretentious suburb that panders to the rich and famous...unfortunately it totally lacks elegance and historical context. Yet another run-of-the-mill-outer-ring-upper-income suburb, much like you'd find in the third ring of any large city in America.
]
What are you basing your opinion on? Mostly, it's bogus. Yes, there are some very high end developments, but the bulk of Alpharetta is down-to-earth, and as someone else said, very family friendly. It also has more diversity than those not in the know give it credit for. Add great schools, varied housing price points, and low crime to the mix, and it's certainly worth consideration, especially since that's where the jobs are.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What are you basing your opinion on? Mostly, it's bogus. Yes, there are some very high end developments, but the bulk of Alpharetta is down-to-earth, and as someone else said, very family friendly. It also has more diversity than those not in the know give it credit for. Add great schools, varied housing price points, and low crime to the mix, and it's certainly worth consideration, especially since that's where the jobs are.
Ever hear of a dry sense of humor?

I was kidding whilst trying to make a point...

The post I quoted [post number two in this thread] very summarily dismissed Little Five Points and pointed the OP to Alpharetta with little to no consideration given to either area.

Alpharetta was noted as being "wealthy", as if that in and of itself makes one neighborhood/location better than all others, whereas Little Five points was noted to be a 'grungy artsy fartsy place', as if that is something bad.

These inferences are made in consideration of the post's summation: "why don't you just move to Alpharetta?"

My post was a protest against the aforementioned post, which I quoted as a leadin to my post... sorry you didn't get it.

My apologies to all lovers of Alpharetta, and similiar suburbs, whom I may or may not have offended. I will admit, I am not a lover of suburbs, but I do recognize some people [such as my husband] like the suburban sort of lifestyle. Live and let live, to each their own... except for my husband - sorry love, but you ain't gonna live in any suburb anytime soon!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:41 AM

102 posts, read 389,354 times
I live in Decatur and love it... but the commute to Alpharetta from there would be even worse than from the L5P area so I can't recommend it.

I could swear that there are some hippish areas in downtown Roswell... check it out. Also, Sandy Springs is working very hard to create a town center. I haven't been up there lately, but maybe it is something to take a look at to see how it is coming along.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,603 times
Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! We have narrowed it down to Candler Park and Virginia Highland.( top two places we could actually agree on!) As it stands, Alpharetta is out( an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure, in my book) We are planning to rent our first year, anyway, so there is always an opt out to find the "perfect" area for us. We will be going down there in a month to check out the areas and do a mock commute with my girlfriend that lives down there. She also suggested Virginia Highland as a compromise, so we shall see! Thanks again to all, we will keep you posted!

Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM

109 posts, read 329,313 times
I live in Alpharetta and it's not all that great. There is no night life and money doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone. I can't wait to move out of here.

Do yourself a favor and think twice about this state. It is run by the good ol' boys and the southern hospitality is a joke.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 AM

145 posts, read 361,497 times
My thoughts are that if both of your jobs are in Alpharetta, you should live in Alpharetta or Roswell. One of the above Posters who mentioned the Roswell are is right--Historic Roswell, the sort of "town center" area there, is eclectic and fun, for a non-Intown area. I am a Real Estate Agent who mostly works INTOWN now, BUT for years I was a Real Estate Appraiser, and I worked in Roswell, very near Alpharetta. SO, I know quite a lot about Intown and the area where you need to live. I don't care what anyone says...the commute to and from an Alpharetta job fif you live Intown will suck the Life out of you. DO NOT DO IT. Try to find something in Roswell and join local clubs that are likely to have like-minded individuals, do some volunteering, find the cool places to hang out, and you will make friends. You could live in any Alpharetta suburban neighborhood and if you try to find like-minded people, you will. You will not see like-minded people inside your car as you sit in traffic on a Hellish commute that leaves you so sapped that you don't even want to leave your bungalow in Little 5 Points. When I worked in Roswell for those Appraiser years, I lived Intown, so I know. And I have had many Clients go through it, insisting on the Big House in Alpharetta though the job is Intown, and vice-versa like you are asking about. Just don't think it's a good idea. Come Intown on the weekends and get your "flavor", or in the evenings. But live near where you work. Good Luck!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:42 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomommy13 View Post
I grew up in a wealthy suburb of Cleveland, my husband is more of an artsy- fartsy guy, know of a good compromise?!
Actually, yes. Check out Mountain Park...a little oasis of quirkiness on the western edge of Roswell.
I went househunting with a friend there and fell in love with it.

www.mountainpark-ga.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta