Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM

115 posts, read 230,759 times

Advertisements

I am 24, and graduating from law school next year. I have lived my whole life in Georgia (raised in Atlanta, school in Athens).

I need to get out of Georgia for a year (after I pass the bar) to get some perspective, grow as a person, and have some fun as well.

My criteria:
1.) Major city that is very different from Atlanta
2.) Good weather
3.) Good nightlife

I was initially interested in Denver, but the more research I have done, the less appealing it appears.

I am very intrigued by San Diego now. I am just wondering though, as a slow-paced suburban city, will it be too similar to Atlanta? I want a total 180 degree change.

Also, any natives who have lived in San Diego, or any San Diego natives living in Atlanta, or anyone who has spent time in both cities, do you think this a good choice?

Thanks in advance!

(By the way, I am also considering: Portland, OR, and Austin, TX)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times
I'd go for LA, it fits your criteria. San Diego is nice, but it's no LA. With LA as your base you could still skip on down to San Diego, about a two hour drive. Plus Vegas is a short plane ride or a manageable 4 hour drive. Portland is ok, naturally beautiful place, but not much else, IMO. Austin is cool, but I feel if you're looking for something totally different from the college and city life of Athens and Atlanta, Austin wouldn't be my first choice.

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 05-24-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
If you can handle the numerous drizzle days there, Seattle. The West Coasters will have you eating granola, recycling cans, composting and singing Kum-Ba-Ya within weeks.

Seriously, it's a nice city but VERY different vibe than Atlanta (other than the number of bums downtown). You won't be far from Portland or Vancouver Canada living there as well, and both are pretty cool places in their own way.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
In my honest opinion, the only area in the United States that will give the closest thing to a true culture shock is the big apple. To get the real deal though, you would really need to go live abroad somewhere otherwise you'll just be getting a change of scenery.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Why not move out of the country?

Seriously, if you grew up in Atlanta you won't be *shocked* culturally by anything. There might be cities that are more this and less that, etc, but nothing that really jolts your sense of being.

But if you were to move to South Africa...could be very interesting. Or Namibia. They speak English there so it wouldn't be too difficult. If you want to learn Portuguese, move to Mozambique. And if you REALLY want culture shock, move to Angola (Portuguese) or Mali (French).

But I can't imagine there's anywhere in the US that's sooooo different you'll feel like you're in a different world, so to speak.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Hey, Adric and I had the exact same idea (I was still writing mine when his/hers posted).

Even NYC won't give you culture shock...not really.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Hey, Adric and I had the exact same idea (I was still writing mine when his/hers posted).

Even NYC won't give you culture shock...not really.
It won't really. It might be stressful for a while for someone who's not used to the break-neck pace it moves at but that's about it.

Culture shocks aren't all that fun actually. They can lead to depression. I did a three month stint in Japan back in 2005 and after about three weeks, I was depressed and felt isolated. The secret though is to not fight the culture and instead accept it and go with it. Once you do that, it's much better.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I'd go for LA, it fits your criteria. San Diego is nice, but it's no LA. With LA as your base you could still skip on down to San Diego, about a two hour drive. Plus Vegas is a short plane ride or a manageable 4 hour drive. Portland is ok, naturally beautiful place, but not much else, IMO. Austin is cool, but I feel if you're looking for something totally different from the college and city life of Athens and Atlanta, Austin wouldn't be my first choice.
Thanks for the advice. I have already ruled out San Francisco (too "out there"--my friend lives there and says there are no normal people), but I hadn't really thought of LA. It has such a bad rep. But I think I am going to add it to the list. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
If you want culture shock, San Diego is definitely the place to accomplish that coming from Atlanta.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
If you can handle the numerous drizzle days there, Seattle. The West Coasters will have you eating granola, recycling cans, composting and singing Kum-Ba-Ya within weeks.

Seriously, it's a nice city but VERY different vibe than Atlanta (other than the number of bums downtown). You won't be far from Portland or Vancouver Canada living there as well, and both are pretty cool places in their own way.
That's the thing, I don't think I could. I am a very moody person, and I think rainy weather would make it worse. A lot of times rain makes me wonder why there are mosquitos or get annoyed by people coughing.

Also, I have heard of the "Seattle freeze." I would like a place where it's easy to meet people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta