U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:44 AM

16 posts, read 70,262 times

Advertisements

If you live in ormewood park
more than a block east of moreland and north of confederate...

How is the crime in your opinion?
Do people break into people's crawlspaces?
If I leave a bag of pretzels on the seat of the car on the street, will it be broken into?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,741,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPdesign View Post
If you live in ormewood park
more than a block east of moreland and north of confederate...

How is the crime in your opinion?
Do people break into people's crawlspaces?
If I leave a bag of pretzels on the seat of the car on the street, will it be broken into?

I lived in OP from 97 until 08. Crime drove us out. We lived on Woodland Ave -- north portion of the street. Last summer saw an all time high. Our tires were slashed on our truck, my car was broken into and 5 neighbors on my block had their homes broken into in the span of one week. We started hearing about home invasions and kidnappings so that sealed the deal and we left.

If it weren't for the crime, you couldn't find a nicer neighborhood -- I still really miss my neighbors a bunch. People are really vigilant about looking out for each other.

We sold our house for far less than we would have a few years ago... it's a buyer's market if you're looking to buy.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM

I have checked both the Atlanta PD and the spotcrime websites. They both show that the crime in the area should be less than where I am now (just off Piedmont Park - $800k houses all around me).

I guess I am looking for an apples to apples comparison of where I am now and Ormwood Park now.

I live just off the park now (just off Piedmont Park - $800k houses all around me) and I have these conditions (which realistically are not bad)...
1) If I left an ipod on the carseat, I would expect it to be broken into.
2) I would not mind my wife jogging alone around the block during the day.
3) If I left my car on the street every night for 3 years, I would expect something to happen to it.
4) If I didn't have cameras up, a dog, and a fence around the whole house, I would expect things to be stolen off the porch every once in a while.
5) I generally do not think that the house would be robbed.
6) I generally do not think that the crawlspace or basement would be robbed.
7) My trash is checked regularly by the locals for anything they can find.
8) I am close to Ponce - so the craziest of the crazy wander down my road every once in a while.
9) Have had bikes and BBQ grill on the back porch for years with no problems.

I have heard that in kirkwood, reynoldstown, and cabbagetown:
1) Cars on street will get broken into regularly if you leave a bag of chips out on the seat.
2) The crawlspace and anything in the yard will be broken into if you go out town for a weekend.
3) Not sure if I would want my wife to jog around the block alone during the day.

So, what can I really expect if I move into Ormwood - within a block or 2 of Beuah Bible - maybe on Berne Street or Warwick, at least 2+ blocks off Moreland where there are a few crazies (only slightly disturbed compared to the crazies Ponce at Monroe crazies and not nearly the same quantity)

Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 AM

426 posts, read 1,264,267 times
I am a former Kirkwood resident. Sold my house there and looking for something larger in Ormewood (among other areas). My take on your apples-to-apples is that your perception of Kirkwood is off-the-mark and that Kirkwood and Ormewood are about the same in terms of crime. Lived in Kwood for eight years. I would not leave an ipod on my carseat (are you crazy?); but had no uneasiness about jogging alone in the neighborhood as a thirty-something woman. My house/crawlspace/storage shed were never broken into. Nothing every "walked off" my porch. I lived on a busy street, so there were occassional kooks and drunks, but I would guess far fewer than you get now. There have been sprees of car and house break-ins in recent years; but in no way would I say that crime is something you would just expect living in either neighborhood.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks you gumboula.
What is an intersection in Kirkwood near where you lived. I drive through and may have not found the right areas in Kirkwood.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,660 times
MPDesign, just a lurker and not a poster on here but I wanted to give you some insight on the best kept secret hood in Atl.
I have lived in Ormewood Park for the past 5 years. Actually off of Warwick St. I love the neighborhood and can't imagine living anywhere else in Atlanta. Okay, maybe Inman Park. Yes, we do have our crime but nothing different from the rest of Atlanta.
Last summer was the worst we had in terms of crime but the neighborhood pulled together and created the Trolley Patrol which has helped in terms of break-ins. Yes it costs money to join but it is nice to have when you are out of town to have someone swing by your house to check on things.
Here are some answers to your questions.....
1) If I left an ipod on the carseat, I would expect it to be broken into.
Yes, just like in Midtown. Don't leave valuables visible in your car and in your house.
2) I would not mind my wife jogging alone around the block during the day.
Of course your wife can jog around the block during the day. After work and on the weekends folks are everywhere with their kids and dogs. My girlfriend goes running around the hood to Grant Park at lunchtime all the time without any trouble.
3) If I left my car on the street every night for 3 years, I would expect something to happen to it.
I don't have a driveway and park on the street and I had one window broken into once during 5 years. Nothing to take in my car since I never leave anything in there.
4) If I didn't have cameras up, a dog, and a fence around the whole house, I would expect things to be stolen off the porch every once in a while.
Hmmm...maybe, it all depends on where your house sits. I have a dog and no cameras but an alarm and an easy accessible crawlspace and nobody has touched my house.
5) I generally do not think that the house would be robbed.
I rarely think that my house will be robbed. Just don't leave your blinds open so people can see and see your flatscreen.
6) I generally do not think that the crawlspace or basement would be robbed.
I would have thought my crawlspace would have been broken into by now but nothing has happened so far.
7) My trash is checked regularly by the locals for anything they can find.
No, we have some crazies cruising the hood but they usually get called on by the trolley patrol pretty quick. I have never seen anybody in my trash.
8) I am close to Ponce - so the craziest of the crazy wander down my road every once in a while.
Some crazies around but nothing like Ponce and Monroe.
9) Have had bikes and BBQ grill on the back porch for years with no problems.
I have my grill and other tools on my back porch and nothing has been stolen from me.

Ormewood is a great area to live in. Great highway access to anywhere in the city. Great home prices for intown Atl. Great nightlife in EAV and Little 5. Great restaurants nearby and awesome people all around. Nearby to Grant Park...I can go on and on.

I would def. keep looking in the area. Don't let the occasional break in keep you away from Ormewood.

If you don't mind me asking which house are you looking at around Warwick?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM

426 posts, read 1,264,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPdesign View Post
Thanks you gumboula.
What is an intersection in Kirkwood near where you lived. I drive through and may have not found the right areas in Kirkwood.
I lived on Sisson, just south of Wisteria. Definitely not the best street in Kirkwood, either.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 AM

129 posts, read 340,610 times
Ormewood is pretty solid, but like everyone else has pointed out, you cannot be oblivious to your surroundings.

Keep track of Atlanta crime stats here:

Atlanta Police Department | Crime Mapping (http://www.atlantapd.org/index.asp?nav=crimemapping - broken link)

Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia4400 View Post
If you don't mind me asking which house are you looking at around Warwick?
Right in front of Beulah Bible. If you are in the area, you know where I am talking about.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 PM

25 posts, read 62,975 times
i live on cameron st, 3 houses north of berne & 2 blocks west of beulah...we've lived there since 11/2007

the only crime we've experienced so far was an attempt to steal the catytic converter from our truck...now we park it in the driveway...the other car has had no issues parked on the street every night. there has been some crime around us. crime was tangibly bad in december/january...like daily occurrences of cars/homes broken into; mostly flat screen tv theft...and some worse. two houses directly across the street from us were broken into and there was an attempted robbery at gunpoint in front of our house. but - this only lasted ~2 months, and it seems to have completely quieted down in our immediate vicinity since.

i now feel completely safe and have no expectations that my house will be broken into, nor do i feel unsafe when my wife or myself jog. there are people and kids and babies all over the place -- there are plenty of single women jogging. just keep an eye out for suspicious characters and put up blinds on the front of your house, especially if you have a flat screen.

i have heard of some criminal activity going on very recently around berne/eloise/parkside ... a few blocks from beaulah bible ... but it sounds like it's one group of kids and that the n'hood patrols have noticed and are getting more vigilant.

if you want a better idea of what's going on in OP -- go to eavbuzz.net and read through the public safety forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or