Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:08 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Well that is not the case in 2009 in Atlanta. I live intown and there are huge numbers of whites and other groups here. I certainly don't feel like a minority (and in many intown neighborhoods I don't believe its majority african americans) but I am also not caught up in race so it doesn't really matter to me. And living in town, trust me white suburban folks come in to town all the time to enjoy the city.
I realize what it's like now. A lot has changed since the Olympics, but I was just explaining that it's not something new for crime within the city limits to be a worry. Unfortunately, it's been a constant for some time.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,602,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
here in Idaho we deal with the issue of a small handful of Aryan Nation racists who were run out of here over a decade ago but it's still affecting people's misperceptions of North idaho as a "haven for neo-nazis" when in fact where I lived and worked in Socal had exponentially more racism and racial tension, and up here while we don't have racial diversity (it IS 99% white), we DO NOT have issues with racism like ANY US metro area I've ever visited, and people are "just folks" here...
That's good to know. Idaho is a state I've always wanted to visit, but once I heard about the neo-nazis hanging out there I changed my mind. Glad to know y'all got rid of them.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,772,690 times
neo-nazis exist in EVERY state, and for that matter, in many countries aside from the U.S. There are any number of racist groups in this country and the world (white against black, black against white, N. Korean against S. Korean... the list is endless). But for the record, whether the original question was a legit one or not regardless of the way it was worded, the topic is basically Atlanta's racial make up - not how many hate groups are here or in Idaho.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,427,994 times
This was a lame experiment that sounded like a much better idea last night while having a few mixed drinks.. I hope i didnt offend anyone, and I am pleasantly suprised at the responses..

There was a corresponding thread titled "Just how white is Idaho" which brought this on..

Note to self: No more posting under the influence..

Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,094,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
So then the fact is the blacks run the media or it's just focused around the blacks?

That new reality show seems to focus itself around the blacks.
I think I used the wrong word. I meant to say that the mainstream entertainment industry only acknowledges the black side of Atlanta. Movie plots and tv show plots are usually only set in Atlanta if all the characters are black. You never hear the city mentioned in songs unless its a rap song. For example, could you ever imagine a Real World Atlanta? And the Real Housewives is a perfect example because all but one of the wives are black.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 AM

815 posts, read 2,126,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I think I used the wrong word. I meant to say that the mainstream entertainment industry only acknowledges the black side of Atlanta. Movie plots and tv show plots are usually only set in Atlanta if all the characters are black. You never hear the city mentioned in songs unless its a rap song. For example, could you ever imagine a Real World Atlanta? And the Real Housewives is a perfect example because all but one of the wives are black.
*Disclaimer*
Not saying this is the reason nor is this is my opinion, but from what I have heard from a friend who works for MTV is that the white social scene in Atlanta is looked upon by MTV as one of two things "either real country and slow, or real frat boy-ish" and MTV wants a more "hipster" type of feel for the show. On the other hand the black social scene is looked upon as very progressive, upscale, and basically the complete opposite of the white social scene. And being that MTV does not want a Real World dominated by black people, it will be a long time until they do a Real World in Atlanta. Like I said, thats just what I have heard.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 AM

815 posts, read 2,126,015 times
Please note my disclaimer, thats not what I said or think. I have a friend who works for MTVla (MTV latino) in Miami and thats the reason that she said MTV has not had a Real Word show in Atlanta yet.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,772,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Actually, that's a good example, but it's not just Atlanta that this happens with. And yes, if someone who didn't know better were to base their thoughts about a city on the TV shows, you would think there is little to no diversity in most major cities at all.

If you watch the home selling show "House Hunters" on HGTV, 8 out of 10 times they do an Atlanta show, the home buyers are black. The other 2 out of 10, white. According to the show, a Latino or anyone from any Asian country, east Indian, etc., has never, ever, bought a home in Atlanta , even though they've done a sizable number of Atlanta shows. But then, when they do shows based on Miami, everyone seems to speak English as their second language, and in the Texas shows, everyone has a "drawl" , is white, and have 3-4 kids. Once again - Of course, the "Housewives" shows are completely stereotyped. The Orange County shows are all about fake boobs and flighty women, the NYC show is about neurotic jewish women, and the New Jersey women all seem to be part of the Mob. Again - it's the world of media but not to be believed in terms of reality.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,602,208 times
I'm well aware of that. But it's actually part of their mantra that they want that entire region as part of a white homeland. If you read their literature they make it clear that they believe they are entitled to Idaho, Washington and Oregon. Clearly they had a greater stronghold in that region than in other areas. That's not to say that the people in that region were any more inclined to that belief system than anywhere else, but certainly the groups had a greater affinity for that area.

And since the OP himself made it clear that the question relates to his question about the racial makeup of Atlanta I do think it's relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
neo-nazis exist in EVERY state, and for that matter, in many countries aside from the U.S. There are any number of racist groups in this country and the world (white against black, black against white, N. Korean against S. Korean... the list is endless). But for the record, whether the original question was a legit one or not regardless of the way it was worded, the topic is basically Atlanta's racial make up - not how many hate groups are here or in Idaho.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 AM

16,631 posts, read 29,306,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Actually, that's a good example, but it's not just Atlanta that this happens with. And yes, if someone who didn't know better were to base their thoughts about a city on the TV shows, you would think there is little to no diversity in most major cities at all.

If you watch the home selling show "House Hunters" on HGTV, 8 out of 10 times they do an Atlanta show, the home buyers are black. The other 2 out of 10, white. According to the show, a Latino or anyone from any Asian country, east Indian, etc., has never, ever, bought a home in Atlanta , even though they've done a sizable number of Atlanta shows. But then, when they do shows based on Miami, everyone seems to speak English as their second language, and in the Texas shows, everyone has a "drawl" , is white, and have 3-4 kids. Once again - Of course, the "Housewives" shows are completely stereotyped. The Orange County shows are all about fake boobs and flighty women, the NYC show is about neurotic jewish women, and the New Jersey women all seem to be part of the Mob. Again - it's the world of media but not to be believed in terms of reality.
Very good post and very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta