Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM

173 posts, read 471,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Atlanta is the 33rd largest city in America. Tucked between Tucson, AZ and Albuquerque, NM. It is not a major city. It is a major *metro area* but not a major city.
So I guess DC isn't a major city either? Because it has 591,000 residents (to Atlanta's 537,000)? What about Boston? (606,000)

Your reasoning breeds absurd results.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The population within the arbitrary city boundaries is not what makes a city "major". So you're trying to say that the city of Atlanta is on the same level of importance as Tucson? By your logic, Atlanta isn't nearly as "major" as El Paso, Jacksonville, or Columbus. This is obviously not the measure of a major city.

Your opinion about living in the city is not a popular one. How is it that most of us understand what urban living means? Noise and traffic (both auto and pedestrian) is something you are going to have to live with if you choose an urban area.
I have lived in a city my entire life (save 4 years at college), first Manhattan and now here. I know what is acceptable and what is not. I would say your opinion of about living in a city is an incorrect one based in ignorance.

Population absolutely is what makes a city major. It is what makes a city a city and not a village or a hamlet. Again and it is getting boring typing this so this will be the last time I make this point. Atlanta is a major *metro area* it is only major because of the suburbs. Take the suburbs out and Atlanta is no better than Albuquerque or Tucson.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
So I guess DC isn't a major city either? Because it has 591,000 residents (to Atlanta's 537,000)? What about Boston? (606,000)

Your reasoning breeds absurd results.
No it is not. Neither of them are. Like Atlanta they are suburban heavy. Look at New York, LA, Chicago. All 1M+ those are major cities.

Quote:
Good Lord...this club doesn't have ANY effect on the Midtown Mile or it's success. It will only register as negative with a very small number of people. The rest of us don't mind or don't care.
Because of the rest of you don't live here! If I wanted to open a similar establishment two blocks from your house would you be ok with that? We'll do a trial run, I will drive around your block with my car stereo turned up full blast at 3AM and I will dump take out food on your lawn. It seems you would be OK with that. So let me know when to show up.

It will end the concept of a midtown mile. Who is going to want to put high end retail or restaurants in an area with a club like that? And have to clean up trash every day? High risk of getting broken into? No. The Midtown Mile is done until this place closes.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Because of the rest of you don't live here! If I wanted to open a similar establishment two blocks from your house would you be ok with that?
I lived in midtown before NYC, in part because I wanted walkable nightlife.

As for your definition of city, your reasoning mandates these conclusions:

1) Boston, D.C. and ATL aren't cities, but San Jose, Phoenix and San Antonio are.
2) Charlotte and Memphis can more aptly be called major cities than than Boston.
3) Nashville is more of a city than D.C.

Perhaps that doesn't give you any pause at all about your myopic definition. But for most people, it would.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:51 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
I have lived in a city my entire life (save 4 years at college), first Manhattan and now here. I know what is acceptable and what is not. I would say your opinion of about living in a city is an incorrect one based in ignorance.

Population absolutely is what makes a city major. It is what makes a city a city and not a village or a hamlet. Again and it is getting boring typing this so this will be the last time I make this point. Atlanta is a major *metro area* it is only major because of the suburbs. Take the suburbs out and Atlanta is no better than Albuquerque or Tucson.
Oh, okay...you're the only person in this discussion who has lived in the city. My bad! Come on, you don't really thing that everyone is ignorant on the subject - except you?

Population IS NOT what makes a city major...talk about ignorant. By your logic, all of these cities are more important than Washington D.C. - Nashville, Louisville, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Milwaukee, El Paso, and Memphis. I know you're tired of typing your nonsense, but can you PLEASE explain to all of us how this is possible?

Sweetie...you're wrong, on all counts. It's not wrong to have an opinion and I respect yours, but don't continue to debate such ridiculous notions.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
No it is not. Neither of them are. Like Atlanta they are suburban heavy. Look at New York, LA, Chicago. All 1M+ those are major cities.

Because of the rest of you don't live here! If I wanted to open a similar establishment two blocks from your house would you be ok with that? We'll do a trial run, I will drive around your block with my car stereo turned up full blast at 3AM and I will dump take out food on your lawn. It seems you would be OK with that. So let me know when to show up.

It will end the concept of a midtown mile. Who is going to want to put high end retail or restaurants in an area with a club like that? And have to clean up trash every day? High risk of getting broken into? No. The Midtown Mile is done until this place closes.
Who are you and who told you I don't live here!!!! How dare you assume such things...don't be childish.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
Actually I think the midtown mile is about to explode and in a good way. I can think of 4-5 restaurants that have opened or are about to open on the mile and the first big retailer has announced they will open next year. This just as they added several hundred thousands of square feet for retail in the last year. Rumors abound about Apple and others moving in.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Actually I think the midtown mile is about to explode and in a good way. I can think of 4-5 restaurants that have opened or are about to open on the mile and the first big retailer has announced they will open next year. This just as they added several hundred thousands of square feet for retail in the last year. Rumors abound about Apple and others moving in.
I agree. It has only been temporarily derailed by the economy...just like pracitcally every other large development in the world. If the economic downturn didn't put an end to the Midtown Mile, I highly doubt that a nightclub will do it either.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
It's going to be amazing. Retail, residences and nightlife coexist in South Beach and SoHo. They can coexist in Midtown too.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
And guess how many of these so called comparable cities have a subway system. Almost none.

San Diego has 372 miles in its city limits, much greater then Atlanta. I would bet the same goes for most high up on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta