Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
We're not asking to bulldoze E. Atlanta so OTP people can get to the airport quicker here. The people who live in Midtown wholeheartedly believe in an urban Atlanta as the future. A mega club w/ minimal parking on a main through street surrounded by 2,000+ homes within 3-4 blocks isn't necessary for a vibrant and successful city. I could have bought a 5bdr home in the 'burbs for less than what my condo costs. I could have also bought a new Lexus to sit in traffic in with the fees and taxes I get for living inside city limits. Very few of the few thousand fellow condo dwellers thought...gee there's no better way to make my condo worth more than to put a nightclub downstairs.

This place opening is a foregone conclusion but I'm sure residents are already prepping for a prolonged fight to shut the place down. The first littering, excessive noise, illegal parking or violence and the place will wind up w/ a ridiculous number of complaints, citations, and police calls that it'll be moved quickly enough.

This isn't a Marta extension to Gwinnett Place or Towne Center Mall we're talking about. It isn't demolishing the connector and building an effective transit system to the outer counties to make the city more viable. It's an oversized nightclub in an old decrepit building located too close to residents. It's of minimal benefit to the neighborhood while incurring huge costs of added security, congestion, and litter.

Ask yourself which adds more value to the city...450 new households of tax paying Atlantans who've paid over $300k for a home in the city or a $4M nightclub that drives down property value and requires extra police patrols just to deal w/ a poorly planned traffic/parking situation?
A few people seem to be making some rather large assumptions about the type of people this place will attract and about the problems those people will cause. None of this is factual information...and just because the old Visions crowd caused problems doesn't necessarily mean that the new club's patrons will cause the same problems or even be the same patrons.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A few people seem to be making some rather large assumptions about the type of people this place will attract and about the problems those people will cause. None of this is factual information...and just because the old Visions crowd caused problems doesn't necessarily mean that the new club's patrons will cause the same problems or even be the same patrons.
Exactly. And where's the evidence that they even did cause problems? I went to Vision on numerous occassions, and as a college educated, Master's Degree having Ivy Leaguer, I'm appalled by the misconceptions about the crowd there. I never saw the mess people are adamantly saying surrounded Vision. Most of the crowd and activity hung around back on Crescent Ave anyway.

And, hello, Shout AND Whiskey Park are both off of Peachtree practically on the same block. But where's the hub-bub about that?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
How old is DeaconJ? Based on some of thier responses they seem to be somewhere in the 13-15 yrs. old range.

Anyway, im assuming Shirley will definitely approve the club based on this picture I found on another webpage (shirley holding club owners nephew):

Gidewon franklin image by BlackPix2007 on Photobucket

Maybe the new mayor could shut the place down once they got in office... Does anyone know the process for that type of thing?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
Whiskey park is in W hotel. Shout can get loud and the neighbors behind the restaurant have complained, but Shout is really a restaurant, not a club. Actually I wish the owner would update it-the look and menu is a bit dated.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:38 PM

183 posts, read 230,736 times
People want nightlife but don't want it in the areas where is should go. I wemt to visions also and never so the mess people talk about. Those who are complainging need to live in the suburbs. Midtown is about to become the urban shopping club hopping district

Old 10-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Whiskey park is in W hotel. Shout can get loud and the neighbors behind the restaurant have complained, but Shout is really a restaurant, not a club. Actually I wish the owner would update it-the look and menu is a bit dated.
While there might have been neighborhood disputes for these two bars, the dispute with Vision is among the loudest I've ever heard of for any nightclub establishment in the city. The fact that Shout is not actually a nightclub is more reason why it's odd you don't hear as much about it as you do with Vision. Shout has a cover and dance floor like any other club. Whiskey Park, regardless of its location in a hotel, attracts traffic and noise as well and is closer to Peachtree than the crowds that gathered near Vision.

For both, their driveway's placement on or near Peachtree is actually more disruptive than that of Vision, which had parking in the back and most of its traffic on Crescent near all the other bars. Whatever crowd Vision attracted on Peachtree was mostly the quiet line in the front for entry.

Vision hardly affected the main Peachtree artery, which is the biggest complaint.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
People want nightlife but don't want it in the areas where is should go. I wemt to visions also and never so the mess people talk about. Those who are complainging need to live in the suburbs. Midtown is about to become the urban shopping club hopping district
Folks complain about sprawl, but when opportunities come up to put things in the city and make things centralized, the suburban mentality rears its head once again.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
Vision was loud, but Kyma, which was there before Vision, was more laid back. Vision was just too big. If this new club were smaller and more of a lounge, like a jazz lounge, maybe there would not be an uproar.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
City leaders and residents seem to have forgotten that Atlanta's reputation for its nightlife contributed greatly to its robust convention and tourism industry over the past 30 years. It's not a coincidence that major sporting events and conventions chose to have a venue in a city known for its clubs, bars, entertainment options--and yes, even gentlemen's clubs. Let's face it, the very active nightlife here is part of this city's reputation. It's not like we have scenic snow-capped mountains or a beautiful shoreline near Downtown.

That being said, the City really shot itself in the foot by rolling back the bar time from 4am, as well as shutting down the 24-hour clubs. Over the past five years, I've heard murmurs from folks elsewhere that Atlanta is a boring city, which I find striking considering the fact that growing up in the Midwest, one knew of Atlanta's reputation for partying and fun. Even before the current economic downturn, the convention and tourism industry here in Atlanta began to decline a little as people became less and less interested in what the city had to offer. To be quite honest, when businessmen come to Atlanta for conventions, they want to be able to cut loose a little while being a way from home--going to an aquarium or fusion bistro ranks a little lower on the totem pole.

I'm not saying that we should have no standards in regards for our expectations in the types of establishments that open in our town and the type of behavior we expect visitors to exhibit. But we should be very frank and honest with ourselves in what has made Atlanta appealing for visitors and migrants over the past few decades.

On a final note, if you buy a condo in a highrise building in the city center, on the busiest street in the city--don't complain if you find it a bit noisy. You knew what you were getting yourself into. There are plenty of other neighborhoods, even inside of the city, that are much quieter and laid-back.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
City leaders and residents seem to have forgotten that Atlanta's reputation for its nightlife contributed greatly to its robust convention and tourism industry over the past 30 years. It's not a coincidence that major sporting events and conventions chose to have a venue in a city known for its clubs, bars, entertainment options--and yes, even gentlemen's clubs. Let's face it, the very active nightlife here is part of this city's reputation. It's not like we have scenic snow-capped mountains or a beautiful shoreline near Downtown.

That being said, the City really shot itself in the foot by rolling back the bar time from 4am, as well as shutting down the 24-hour clubs. Over the past five years, I've heard murmurs from folks elsewhere that Atlanta is a boring city, which I find striking considering the fact that growing up in the Midwest, one knew of Atlanta's reputation for partying and fun. Even before the current economic downturn, the convention and tourism industry here in Atlanta began to decline a little as people became less and less interested in what the city had to offer. To be quite honest, when businessmen come to Atlanta for conventions, they want to be able to cut loose a little while being a way from home--going to an aquarium or fusion bistro ranks a little lower on the totem pole.

I'm not saying that we should have no standards in regards for our expectations in the types of establishments that open in our town and the type of behavior we expect visitors to exhibit. But we should be very frank and honest with ourselves in what has made Atlanta appealing for visitors and migrants over the past few decades.

On a final note, if you buy a condo in a highrise building in the city center, on the busiest street in the city--don't complain if you find it a bit noisy. You knew what you were getting yourself into. There are plenty of other neighborhoods, even inside of the city, that are much quieter and laid-back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta