U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,406 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband has accepted a job in Duluth and we will be moving very soon from PA. It's a big move and since I haven't spent much time in Atlanta, I'm very nervous about choosing the right area.

I will be attending John Marshall law school downtown in Atlanta and will be commuting daily. Classes typically begin at 9 am and end by 3 pm. We are boaters and would like to be near Lake Lanier and have considered Buford or Cumming. Any honest opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. What time is the traffic the worst? To be at law school by 9, what time would I need to leave my house?

If you were me with a spouse working in Duluth, where would you choose to live?

I really enjoy walking, hiking, biking, etc and would like to be in an area that supports this. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 12:32 PM

985 posts, read 5,289,993 times
The question is already answered in this thread. Very long commute if you live in Cumming or Buford.

Commuting from Cummings to Downtown Atlanta?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,406 times
Thanks Ok, so if Buford and Cumming are out, any recommendations on where we should live?

Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM

269 posts, read 791,028 times
I'd live as close to your school as possable...heading north to Duluth your husband would be bucking traffic and generally the most walkable areas are inside the peremater..also more expensive though.

you may not be close to the lake, but it will be worth your sanity....

Old 04-25-2007, 04:39 PM

59 posts, read 312,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
I'd live as close to your school as possable...heading north to Duluth your husband would be bucking traffic and generally the most walkable areas are inside the peremater..
I second that. If you were to live in Doraville, you could catch MARTA to downtown and your husband would head north opposite rush hour traffic to Duluth.

How long will you be in law school? If you intend on staying in the area after you graduate, then consider renting while you are in school. Once you're done and you know where you will be working, then consider a more permanent situation.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 PM

I agree other posters. Reverse commuting is so much better. You should consider intown house if possible.

Just want to add something a little difference. There is small lake community called Berkeley Lake http://www.berkeley-lake.ga.us/ which is next to Duluth. If you don't mind a little more commuting, that community is very nice. Commuting for your husband is minimum.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,823,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I agree other posters. Reverse commuting is so much better. You should consider intown house if possible.

Just want to add something a little difference. There is small lake community called Berkeley Lake http://www.berkeley-lake.ga.us/ which is next to Duluth. If you don't mind a little more commuting, that community is very nice. Commuting for your husband is minimum.
jxu is right I havent seen it but I have heard it is nice there

Old 04-25-2007, 05:52 PM

279 posts, read 355,658 times
you will be commuting much less than your husband, so i would live between the doraville subway station and his duluth job...the closer to duluth the better. The marta train lets you out a block from john marshall at the arts center station. Getting a parking space at doraville is the tricky part, you have to get there very early...maybe you could get to school early to study.
Lake Lanier is a short ride from that area.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:53 PM

279 posts, read 355,658 times
by "commuting much less" i mean school is not usually in session year round, however maybe law school is different.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM

If you want to be close to Doraville station, West Norcross is also very nice neighborhood. Search under Simpson elementary. I would say that's only ten minutes to train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or