U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM

985 posts, read 1,430,879 times

Advertisements

I agree, but whether the cops had a legitimate right, or not is going to be irrelevant to the judge in traffic court. This is a lose/lose proposition. If you challenge your chances of success is minimal, I'm guessing 5% even with an attorney. Traffic court is a revenue generator, there is NO presumption of innocence or due process. I had the same ticket and I looked at it this way, my vacation day cost more than the fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 13,354 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll just pay the $260 fine. Court seems like a mess. It's not worth my day(s).

Freedom Parkway is a traffic trap. At any given time, 2 cars are pulled over. Guess my number was up. It's nice to know that in this neighborhood, my car can be broken into 3 times in the same month that my bike was stolen from my garage. Also, when I thought I saw a dead guy on Ponce and called 911, I was put on hold for 10 minutes. Then the operator asked me to go back to the scene. At least the cops are writing tickets. I feel so safe.

For those of you who are curious, it is not my car. I was watching it for my mother. The tags were less than 30 days expired and literally the new tags were in the mail. They arrived 2 days later, forwarded from my mom's OOS address. The car was properly and timely registered and I had proof with the receipt. The cop didn't want to see it and added the OOS plate ticket without knowing who the OOS owner was. Then he asked if I had insurance, as if he were shopping for more tickets to write. I swear he walked around the car, looking for more.

I know that this bankrupt city made a directive to write as many tickets as possible to generate revenue. I know that the cops are just following orders, but this seems unlawful. He knew that I will not get a lawyer nor waste 2 days for 2 court appearances. Maybe it was wrong for me to drive with expired tags, but the plates ... no. I don't own it, can't title it, therefore, can't get plates. I'm pretty sure it's legal for a GA resident to drive her vacationing OOS mother's car.

Now that I'm all riled up, I'd like to add that the cameras at the intersections are not turned on because they were not generating enough revenue. The cameras save lives, but who cares?

Maybe Clark Howard should run for mayor.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,524,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia88 View Post
The tags were less than 30 days expired and literally the new tags were in the mail. They arrived 2 days later, forwarded from my mom's OOS address. The car was properly and timely registered and I had proof with the receipt. The cop didn't want to see it and added the OOS plate ticket without knowing who the OOS owner was. Then he asked if I had insurance, as if he were shopping for more tickets to write. I swear he walked around the car, looking for more.
Not sure I fully understand what you're saying, but assuming the plates were NOT actually expired on the day you were pulled over, and the registration was valid, and you have an official registration that proves that fact, then I would go to court and the judge should dismiss it.

If it was just a matter of not having the new paper registration or the correct sticker on the plate, then you should be OK. Of course the cop should have been able to look it up via computer.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 PM

66 posts, read 113,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
A cop can't just pull you over for not having GA plates. Thousands of OOS plates pass through everyday, so please elaborate what really happened so this makes sense.
I was wondering the same.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,772,944 times
Quote:
A cop pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for not having GA plates even though it was not my car. I believe he was wrong to do so, but how much of a hassle is it to go to court? Would I have to wait all day until my case is called?
ill skip the whole you already admitted guilt to receive that ticket so why would you even bother your time is better spent going to the dmv and getting your ga plates

-whew what a long sentence-

and i'll go to the court part. Typically you will sit there all day before you are even allowed to enter your plea. then they will reschedule you for the actual hearing at a later date. all in all 2-3 day affair.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,772,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
A cop can't just pull you over for not having GA plates. Thousands of OOS plates pass through everyday, so please elaborate what really happened so this makes sense.

he got pulled over for something (usually nothing), cop asked him where he lives, he said GA. cop asked him how long.. he probably said 300 days or something.

you have 30 days to get GA plates and 60 days to get a GA license/change address on a GA license after a move.

it's classic bait and fish.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:27 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,543,068 times
I had a similar thing happened to me in FL. I was living in FL looking for work but driving my dad's GA car. I got a similiar ticket. I just mailed in a copy of the ticket, the registration with my dad's name on it and a letter of explanation with mine and my dad's contact information on it in case they had any questions and it was all taken care of. I didn't have to pay a fine or go to court.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,524,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
he got pulled over for something (usually nothing), cop asked him where he lives, he said GA. cop asked him how long.. he probably said 300 days or something.

you have 30 days to get GA plates and 60 days to get a GA license/change address on a GA license after a move.
If the car was/is legally registered to someone out of state (and you can prove it), and you were just driving the borrowed vehicle, then there should not be a problem. If that's not the story, and the vehicle was illegally registered out of state when it should have been registered in Georgia, then the cop was right...pay the ticket and get Georgia plates.

This isn't rocket science. Either the vehicle was legally registered out of state or it wasn't. If it was...go to court and prove it.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,352,226 times
Quote:
The tags were less than 30 days expired and literally the new tags were in the mail....
Sorry, but if the tags are expired then you can't drive the car. Doesn't matter if they are "less than 30 days expired" or that the new tags are "in the mail", they're still expired and you were still breaking the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
This isn't rocket science. Either the vehicle was legally registered out of state or it wasn't. If it was...go to court and prove it.
Apparently it wasn't. But the OP still wants to blame the cop for issuing the ticket.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 25,894,061 times
You can pay the ticket and be done with it or you can go to court and contest it. Even if the court finds in your favor you are still liable for court costs. So. they'll stick it to you one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or