U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,986 posts, read 3,350,590 times
Reputation: 2353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by average dave View Post
Only if you really, really believe that you are not in the wrong. I received a ticket for crossing the diagonal yellow lines a few yards prior to reaching the left turn lane. I mean really, so what? It's not like I ran a red light or ignored a stop sign. So, I planned to go to court to plead that my traffic infraction deserved, worst case scenario, a warning. Got to Johns Creek court, and there were like 100 people there. I was expecting me and the judge. It took up several hours of time and it would have cost me more (court costs) and with almost complete certainty would have been futile to argue it. Technically, however insignificant, I did break the law, so that's that. Minimum traffic fine is $175, which I had to pay! Brilliant PR for our brand new Johns Creek police department.
Sadly I have also been to Johns Creek traffic court. Oh yeah, the cops issue a lot of tickets in this town! I don't know if you tried it, but I asked to speak to a prosecutor. It took a bit longer, but she dropped two charges, and reduced the third charge to something with no points and a smaller fee. For something like what you describe a prosecutor may have been lenient. All you have to lose is your time, right?

While I was waiting to talk to a prosecutor I listened to two other parties plead their cases with one of the prosecutors. One easily had the charges dropped: she was issued a ticket for parking in a handicap spot when she in fact has a handicap tag (it just wasn't hanging in the car at the time). The second tried to argue his way out of an illegal left turn in to a parking lot by claiming things like "there was no sign" or "the sign was new" or other random nonsense. When he finally described the location the prosecutor about blew a gasket. "I know that exact area you are describing. I pass by it every day. The no left turn sign has been there for years and there is a cement island at the entrance to discourage exactly what you did. Turning left there is a serious hazard to other traffic, which is why it's not allowed." He didn't get a reduction on his ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 AM
 
3 posts, read 13,344 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Apparently it wasn't. But the OP still wants to blame the cop for issuing the ticket.
This is what I said:

" Maybe it was wrong for me to drive with expired tags, but the plates ... no."

Please read before making responses like the one above. It's disrespectful.

As I said, I'm paying both tickets because even though all I have to lose is time by going to court, my time is worth way more than $260.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,986 posts, read 3,350,590 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia88 View Post
This is what I said:

" Maybe it was wrong for me to drive with expired tags, but the plates ... no."

Please read before making responses like the one above. It's disrespectful.
Not "maybe". It was wrong for you to drive with expired tags. Period.

As for the ticket for out of state plates, it has already been mentioned here that you could be successful getting out of that one as long as you can show that the car is registered to someone else and that you were just borrowing it. But of course that means sitting all day in traffic court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Acworth
1,352 posts, read 3,771,419 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Sorry, but if the tags are expired then you can't drive the car. Doesn't matter if they are "less than 30 days expired" or that the new tags are "in the mail", they're still expired and you were still breaking the law.



Apparently it wasn't. But the OP still wants to blame the cop for issuing the ticket.

on that note i once got pulled over because my tags were about to expire in a week. It was an illegal stop since they can't fish based on precrime (i love that term now). A short exchange later and i was on my way. Since that incident that specific cop looks the other way (we see each other weekly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
 
16 posts, read 24,791 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia88 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll just pay the $260 fine. Court seems like a mess. It's not worth my day(s).

Freedom Parkway is a traffic trap. At any given time, 2 cars are pulled over. Guess my number was up. It's nice to know that in this neighborhood, my car can be broken into 3 times in the same month that my bike was stolen from my garage. Also, when I thought I saw a dead guy on Ponce and called 911, I was put on hold for 10 minutes. Then the operator asked me to go back to the scene. At least the cops are writing tickets. I feel so safe.

For those of you who are curious, it is not my car. I was watching it for my mother. The tags were less than 30 days expired and literally the new tags were in the mail. They arrived 2 days later, forwarded from my mom's OOS address. The car was properly and timely registered and I had proof with the receipt. The cop didn't want to see it and added the OOS plate ticket without knowing who the OOS owner was. Then he asked if I had insurance, as if he were shopping for more tickets to write. I swear he walked around the car, looking for more.

I know that this bankrupt city made a directive to write as many tickets as possible to generate revenue. I know that the cops are just following orders, but this seems unlawful. He knew that I will not get a lawyer nor waste 2 days for 2 court appearances. Maybe it was wrong for me to drive with expired tags, but the plates ... no. I don't own it, can't title it, therefore, can't get plates. I'm pretty sure it's legal for a GA resident to drive her vacationing OOS mother's car.

Now that I'm all riled up, I'd like to add that the cameras at the intersections are not turned on because they were not generating enough revenue. The cameras save lives, but who cares?

Maybe Clark Howard should run for mayor.
There is so much BS in this post. You might want to educate yourself on GA Traffic Law before guessing what is legal and what is not. Also, there is not a directive from the city to write tickets, in fact, most APD officers I know absolutely hate writing traffic tickets.

Your story doesn't add up. If you're having OOS tags mailed to you, it's a reasonable assumption on the police's behalf that you are keeping a car in GA and it's in your mother's name OOS so you can avoid the ad valorem tax. THIS IS ILLEGAL. Hence the ticket.

Expired tag? The charge is 40-2-8, Operating a Vehicle w/ Expired Registration. Were you OPERATING the vehicle? That's what I thought. When you run a license from anywhere in the US, the computer provides the exact date your tag expires, and if, as you claim, you had already purchased the new tag and it was in the mail, then it would already be in the sytem and your tag WOULD NOT have come back expired.

He probably walked around your car looking for violations after you lied to him about your tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,986 posts, read 3,350,590 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
on that note i once got pulled over because my tags were about to expire in a week. It was an illegal stop since they can't fish based on precrime (i love that term now). A short exchange later and i was on my way.
Years ago when I was living in Illinois I got pulled over for expired tags. I will never know how that guy saw the color of a 1" square sticker when he was sitting still and I was doing highway speeds. Nonetheless he saw it and pulled me over. I had the new sticker in the glove compartment and just hadn't taken the time to put it on the plate. When I told him that he said "well you need to put the sticker on." And he stood there. So I asked, "Now?" He said "Now."

So he watched as I got out of my car and put the new sticker on the plate. He didn't write a ticket and we parted company.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Acworth
1,352 posts, read 3,771,419 times
Reputation: 466
well after that incident i didnt put the sticker on for 3 months (im a rebel). was never questioned about it, got bored if waiting and put it on. irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 PM
 
1,856 posts, read 2,893,875 times
Reputation: 1155
georgia...regardless of any situation....if you are pull over with an expired tag...suspended registration, no proof of insurance....YOU are held responsible and you will pay as though it IS your car....

just pay the ticket and be careful next time.


Georgia is really serious when it comes down to traffic violations and its costly.

I also think that you should check to see if you HAVE to go to court because if you do and you dont show up the will issue a warrant for your arrest.

comes from personal experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,597,708 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
He can if the plates are expired or the vehicle is improperly registered. If you move to GA (or any state), you have 30 days to change the plates. There must be more to the story than we're being told.
How would the cop ever know if you have been here 30 days or 30 years? I drove on my Illinois plates a whole year here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,519,804 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
How would the cop ever know if you have been here 30 days or 30 years? I drove on my Illinois plates a whole year here.
The law in just about every state is that you are a legal resident after 30 days, with the exception of college students and military personnel. Depends on specifics, and he may not know, although if you have a GA drivers license or other facts point to you having a residence here, he can put 2+2 together. Sometimes they just ask and the driver spills the beans. Some people like you will break the law and get away with it and think it's OK. Others like the OP will get caught.

Bottom line is that the law requires you to do many things. Some of us follow the law, and some of us don't. In my case, following the law was not only the correct thing to do, but it was the less costly thing to do. I switched plates as soon as I legally had my new GA address.

A better question for you is: why wouldn't you switch out your plates and DL when you move to a new state? I see people in our building at work that I know live in GA and have been driving on OOS plates for months, sometimes with obviously expired plates. Is it laziness or do you just feel you're above the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top