Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 PM

75 posts, read 552,627 times

Advertisements

Just curious...is there such a thing as squatters rights in Georgia? Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,358,888 times
no

Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 AM

371 posts, read 1,551,037 times
Yes, they have the right to be shot.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Thanx. I have a friend that lives in a relatively new subdivision and she suspects that squatters may have taken over a house a couple doors down from her. Who can she notify to investigate this? Someone told her that there was nothing she could do but wait it out until whatever bank owns the property is aware that there are people living in the house. Can you call the sherrif?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess View Post
Thanx. I have a friend that lives in a relatively new subdivision and she suspects that squatters may have taken over a house a couple doors down from her. Who can she notify to investigate this? Someone told her that there was nothing she could do but wait it out until whatever bank owns the property is aware that there are people living in the house. Can you call the sherrif?
Sure, if they do not live there they are breaking and entering.
Is there a neighborhood watch in this development?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 PM

247 posts, read 1,285,670 times
Yes, there is absolutely squatters rights in GA. We live in an aflluent neighborhood but that didn't stop a family of 6 low life scuzzy butts (trying to be nice here...) from squatting in a house. The house was bank owned. I went walking past while walking my dog one day and there were 2 sheriff's cars. I asked what was going on. One officer asked me if I saw any strange people living there. At the time, I didn't. He said to call them if I did. Sure enough a few days later I saw them. Living it up like it was their house. I called the listing agent and told him. He thanked me but said he was told the only way to get them out of the house was to get a court order. WHAT?!?!?!? How can that be? He said technically they had rights and you can't use force to get them out. Several weeks later, they got their court order and the scuzzy butts moved out. No before tearing up the house. Isn't that awful?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Thanx...I will relay the information...not sure if there is neighborhood watch or anything.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,698,858 times
The thing is, why would squatter have any rights at all? This problem is not limited to Georgia. If they are in a house without permission. The police should kick them all out. I currently live in Oregon and we have had that problem over here. I knew someone whose neighbours house was vacant after the tenants moved out but the owner lived in Florida and squatters came in a practically destroyed the house before he could legally get rid of them. Squatters should be arrested on site. If your not there legally then you should have no rights to be there. Sounds like a nightmare to me. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:02 AM

371 posts, read 1,551,037 times
If they are all out of the house and the house is secured at this time then they have no rights to go back in, if the owner enters the house while the squatters are all out and they return it would then be a home invasion. However if the squatters are occupying continuously then you need a court order to evict them, personally I would encourage them to leave but I cannot recommend that solution to others, plus it is the owners responsibility. If you take action as a neighbor then you run the risk of falling foul of the law yourself, tread carefully.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,358,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
Yes, there is absolutely squatters rights in GA. We live in an aflluent neighborhood but that didn't stop a family of 6 low life scuzzy butts (trying to be nice here...) from squatting in a house. The house was bank owned. I went walking past while walking my dog one day and there were 2 sheriff's cars. I asked what was going on. One officer asked me if I saw any strange people living there. At the time, I didn't. He said to call them if I did. Sure enough a few days later I saw them. Living it up like it was their house. I called the listing agent and told him. He thanked me but said he was told the only way to get them out of the house was to get a court order. WHAT?!?!?!? How can that be? He said technically they had rights and you can't use force to get them out. Several weeks later, they got their court order and the scuzzy butts moved out. No before tearing up the house. Isn't that awful?

BULLCRAP

court order = 1 page paper from your local probate court drawn up on the spot for like 75-100 (the owner of the property has to do that. if its a company in another state, that might be a problem) the real estate agent is not the owner and cannot request eviction. then you walk over to the sheriffs office with the paper and bring with you some backup and kick everybody out.

if you are the owner resident you can just shoot them if returning from a vacation or whatever as they are felony breaking and entering if they offer ANY resistance (up from simple tresspass)

please dont twist things.

there are no squatters rights in this state, as previously said numerous times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta