U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,483,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
HMMM..... Let me think...... Move Atlanta to North Carolina, cut out the horrible traffic, crime and extensive metro, keep all the amenities within the city limits instead of spread out all over the metro and change the name to Charlotte. JUST KIdding!!!!!!---- On a serious note: EXPAND MARTA!!I loved using MArta when we lived in Midtown, however we hated to fight through traffic to get other parts of the metro.

HMMM do A time laps rewind Atlanta back to the 80s and Pow You Have Charlotte 2010 without heavy rail.... Just kidding!!!!. Marta isnt going to be expanded in our lifetimes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,483,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wasn't really offended. I kind of figured there might be some truth to that. There are some residents who oppose MARTA coming into Atlanta. I see this sentiment in Cobb County. I knew it had been a problem since 2005. It came mainly out of a desire to get around. I brought it up with a few students living in the Cobb County area. Some of the responses I got from it were disturbing. One common phrase I heard was "It will bring in crime". Personally, I would have never thought of such a thing. I thought of it as "I don't have a car and everything is so spread out. Besides, every city ought to have a decent mass transit system. Cities like Montreal, New York, Chicago, and Tokyo have this stuff. Why doesn't Atlanta have as good a transportation system? What is the matter with Atlanta?" Some of the other persons I inquired about it looked at it as "mass transit brings in crime and other problems".

The older I got, the more cynical I got about people who thought that way. Alot of people have their own self-interests in mind. For some of the persons In asked, it isn't a matter of "what will happen to me?", rather, "what about us". I recently had a falling out with some people. The phrase used was "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one". In short, the message was "You're a liability, we don't need you, and you or your needs don't count". I think that is the message I have been getting in terms of mass transit.
The Same reason why A ton of americas Large cities dont have good rail systems.. This is not just a Atlanta thing

Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM

969 posts, read 1,068,597 times
Quote:
There should be a plan that connects all of the metro Atlanta counties. Unfortunately, it doesn't help when the governor(of which I did not vote for) refused to fund MARTA. I voted AGAINST Perdue in the 2006 governor election. Perdue won anyway. I felt like Perdue was taking this state backwards. It is like you were saying. There are politicians in this state who have some backwards attitudes. It doesn't shock me that many of the residents don't care either way about mass transit. It was announced that CCT bus service in Cobb County was proposing to cut some routes and raise fares. I tried to let other people know about it. Few people seemed to care.
Like I said, this is just one piece of a whole plan. If you look at NYC metro transit, the Long Island Railroad serves the Long Island Corridor... it doesn't connect to Westchester County, NY directly... you have to transfer in NYC at a main terminal. It's not any different hereL The "Brain Train" serves the Northeast Corner of the metro and out to Athens with the main terminal in Downtown Atlanta. I know Cobb has a study for light rail, I know Gwinnett has light rail plans, and I know there is a plan for light rail along 285 in the Perimeter area... and I'm sure there is a plan to eventually connect them all together. I guess we'll see what happens with the vote in 2012 and what projects make the list.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM

27,035 posts, read 22,475,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Like I said, this is just one piece of a whole plan. If you look at NYC metro transit, the Long Island Railroad serves the Long Island Corridor... it doesn't connect to Westchester County, NY directly... you have to transfer in NYC at a main terminal. It's not any different hereL The "Brain Train" serves the Northeast Corner of the metro and out to Athens with the main terminal in Downtown Atlanta. I know Cobb has a study for light rail, I know Gwinnett has light rail plans, and I know there is a plan for light rail along 285 in the Perimeter area... and I'm sure there is a plan to eventually connect them all together. I guess we'll see what happens with the vote in 2012 and what projects make the list.
Long Island has a rail as well as a bus system. Furthermore, rail is faster than a bus because it doesn't have to go through traffic.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM

5,208 posts, read 3,038,170 times
Quote:
I spend a large part of my free time researching and going on the internet. One thing I am aware of is that metro Atlanta's public transportation system is not that good to say the least. I look at other cities and notice that manyn places have much better transit systems. Not only that, many places have different kinds. Medellin, Colombia(yes, in Colombia) has an aerial tramway. Pittsburgh, Quebec City, and some other places have a form of incline rail. I think by looking at cities across the world and learning from them, Atlanta can become a better city in many ways. I look at it this way: Atlanta has the topography to use incline rails and aerial tramways. Not only that, Atlanta is suppose to be a world-class city. This is one of the ways it can live up to it. I figure, if other cities can do it, Atlanta should do it as well.
World Class city? You mean like Tokyo, London & New York City? Atlanta is on their level? Interesting.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
World Class city? You mean like Tokyo, London & New York City? Atlanta is on their level? Interesting.
I feel like any city that can host the Olympics, have the world's busiest airport should have a better transit system. Atlanta has alot of fortune 500 companies. It's home to the best known soft drink company in the world. Atlanta should do better than what it has. The trains should be expanded to places like Canton and Woodstock.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM

727 posts, read 580,734 times
Default OK time to admit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
ill oppose all and any

1. public transportation*
2. public housing

within my district

i guess 90% of the people agree with me and so do my representatives

its a political suicide otherwise and you might have a better chance of tolling all roads

*excludes shuttles and stuff of that nature which are currently operating with relative........... failure.

OK time to admit it.

There has been alot of opposition to public transportation here in my area(Cobb) and this is what i tell the opponents.

Atlanta is not a small metro of 1,000,000 anymore. It has become a major cosmopolitan city that is too large for "car only" only transport.

It is time the metro focuses on improving the transportation situation in Atlatna. We need to build an extensive commuter rail system similar to the Chicago Metra. The Marta rail system needs to expand to serve all areas in the Perimiter, and Six Flags

And don't give me the "Crime" junk. Newsflash, Criminals have cars or can steal one.

If you want to live in an low density metropolis were everybody drives every where, try Birmingham.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM

969 posts, read 1,068,597 times
Quote:
Long Island has a rail as well as a bus system. Furthermore, rail is faster than a bus because it doesn't have to go through traffic.
Ok, I already know all of that. I don't really understand your response to what I said.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:08 PM

49 posts, read 99,031 times
well if a few hundred thousand people from the north move to Atlanta and the Atlantans have to wait in traffic an extra 2 hours each way, I am sure they will welcome transporation after a while trust me just like the suburbs of NYC.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycage View Post
well if a few hundred thousand people from the north move to Atlanta and the Atlantans have to wait in traffic an extra 2 hours each way, I am sure they will welcome transporation after a while trust me just like the suburbs of NYC.
That already has been happening. In metro Atlanta, there are alot of transplants from New York, Illinois, the DC area, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, California, and other states outside of the South. I have talk to many people from out of state about the transit system in Atlanta. One of my professors was from the DC area. He told me that he could take the train from suburban NoVA into DC. In Atlanta, it would be too much hassle for him to try. Among the persons who are against mass transit in the suburbs, the majority are from Georgia, mainly around the metro Atlanta area. I only know of one northerner who had something against mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta