U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 AM

65 posts, read 115,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Why won't Georgia(or at least metropolitan Atlanta) do what New Jersey is doing? I got kind of jealous, and then angry. My first thing was "why is it that there are people who want to make life hard for those without cars?" It is almost like some people have some kind of ulterior motive for making life hard for those who don't drive. That is what has spurred me to get signatures for my petition. I am teaming up with some other people to get MARTA expanded to Kennesaw.

It's called politics and lobbying. georgia stat politicians aren't found of trains.
i'm from houston, Big Oil fights and will fight any major transportation, too much threat to profits.
I always heard that detroit doesn't have a major train system because of the big 3, guess they have an opportunity to develop one now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 AM

27,563 posts, read 22,921,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva05 View Post
It's called politics and lobbying. georgia stat politicians aren't found of trains.
i'm from houston, Big Oil fights and will fight any major transportation, too much threat to profits.
I always heard that detroit doesn't have a major train system because of the big 3, guess they have an opportunity to develop one now
I am thinking Houston's solution is for someone to setting a private rail company like there is out in Japan. If Big Oil wants to fight the public sector, fine, but if it's out of the private sector, then that is another story.

Detroit's problem, well, very odd. Couldn't there be train-building companies to bring new jobs in and build train cars for a potential new rail service? That could help.

Atlanta's problem, IMHO, has a solution. Go to the college students and the people who might be the most likely to use it. We have no big 3 or big oil, just a large proportion of citizens who have problems with anything progressive, such as a better transit system. I have thought about leaving GA myself because this state is set up specifically for those with cars and those who don't have a car live hard lives. One problem: I don't have the dollars to move anywhere and I still have a college education to finish, and if I just transfer, well, more expensive tuition(I get in state in GA) and some of my credits won't transfer(setting me further back from graduation). My best bet would be to make a change while I'm here, to do something here.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,309,428 times
Quote:
I have thought about leaving GA myself because this state is set up specifically for those with cars and those who don't have a car live hard lives. One problem: I don't have the dollars to move anywhere and I still have a college education to finish, and if I just transfer, well, more expensive tuition(I get in state in GA) and some of my credits won't transfer(setting me further back from graduation). My best bet would be to make a change while I'm here, to do something here.
Rail projects take years and years to formulate, fund and build. If your desire is for a system that's usable by you within the next few years, then your best bet is to finish off that college education then find a job in one of those cities that already has a transit system.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Rail projects take years and years to formulate, fund and build. If your desire is for a system that's usable by you within the next few years, then your best bet is to finish off that college education then find a job in one of those cities that already has a transit system.
What does one do for now? It rained on my way to class and I basically had no way of getting to class other than a bicycle. I think about if metro Atlanta had a decent commuter rail or heavy rail stretching to the outer counties(Cobb,Cherokee,Paulding,Gwinnett,Henry,Cla yton,Fayette,etc). If it is going to take years, then what does one do in the meantime.

Last edited by green_mariner; 09-21-2009 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,392,207 times
I hear ya, man and I feel your pain. I was without car for a long time and even now with a car it feels like I'm wasting a good pot of money that could be invested in other lucrative ventures. It's laughable with a sad sense of irony that it was white businesmen who who put forward the idea of a transit system in Atlanta that nowadays seems all but assured that to a select group of Georgians, MARTA=those folks not like us.

That's why I will repeat my hopes that when the babyboomers and older generations born pre-1964 Civil Rights Act start dying off then maybe Georgia and this country in general will have a future worth saving. Otherwise the prejudices and long-standing feuds of the past along with the people fanatically holding on to them will destroy us all.

Quote:
I am thinking Houston's solution is for someone to setting a private rail company like there is out in Japan. If Big Oil wants to fight the public sector, fine, but if it's out of the private sector, then that is another story.

Detroit's problem, well, very odd. Couldn't there be train-building companies to bring new jobs in and build train cars for a potential new rail service? That could help.

Atlanta's problem, IMHO, has a solution. Go to the college students and the people who might be the most likely to use it. We have no big 3 or big oil, just a large proportion of citizens who have problems with anything progressive, such as a better transit system. I have thought about leaving GA myself because this state is set up specifically for those with cars and those who don't have a car live hard lives. One problem: I don't have the dollars to move anywhere and I still have a college education to finish, and if I just transfer, well, more expensive tuition(I get in state in GA) and some of my credits won't transfer(setting me further back from graduation). My best bet would be to make a change while I'm here, to do something here.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I hear ya, man and I feel your pain. I was without car for a long time and even now with a car it feels like I'm wasting a good pot of money that could be invested in other lucrative ventures. It's laughable with a sad sense of irony that it was white businesmen who who put forward the idea of a transit system in Atlanta that nowadays seems all but assured that to a select group of Georgians, MARTA=those folks not like us.
That's why I will repeat my hopes that when the babyboomers and older generations born pre-1964 Civil Rights Act start dying off then maybe Georgia and this country in general will have a future worth saving. Otherwise the prejudices and long-standing feuds of the past along with the people fanatically holding on to them will destroy us all.
There is another sad irony to this. Atlanta tried to coin the slogan "A city too busy to hate". Judging by the racialized politics of MARTA, Atlanta isn't living up to that slogan.
I don't not think it is only the babyboomers, although I notice babyboomers tend to make up the largest group of people opposed to MARTA. I notice even some people in generation X and Y are against MARTA being expanded, citing "crime" as a reason for being against it. I want to look at them and ask "What about me? I need the MARTA more than you know." One person just told me in a subtle way, "if you don't have a car, you shouldn't live in the suburbs".

Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,309,428 times
Quote:
What does one do for now? It rained on my way to class and I basically had no way of getting to class other than a bicycle. I think about if metro Atlanta had a decent commuter rail or heavy rail stretching to the outer counties(Cobb,Cherokee,Paulding,Gwinnett,Henry,Cla yton,Fayette,etc). If it is going to take years, then what does one do in the meantime.
Umm, ride the bike in the rain. Sorry, but I'm pretty old (50s) and I grew up in a city in New Zealand back in the days when only about half of households owned an automobile. I walked to elementary school and cycled to high school every day in all weathers. There wasn't any other way to get there. I know this is typical "things were tough in the old days" talk from an older adult, but it's true. I spent years cycling in the rain in winter. Get some rain gear if you don't have any.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,641,043 times
Quote:
I don't not think it is only the babyboomers, although I notice babyboomers tend to make up the largest group of people opposed to MARTA. I notice even some people in generation X and Y are against MARTA being expanded, citing "crime" as a reason for being against it. I want to look at them and ask "What about me? I need the MARTA more than you know." One person just told me in a subtle way, "if you don't have a car, you shouldn't live in the suburbs".
A lot of people here talk about continued opposition to MARTA, but in reality it's been a couple of decades (literally) since any real attempt has been made to present a MARTA-related solution to the various suburban counties.

At least one mock vots has been taken in at least one suburban county in semi-recent history to get some idea of support, and it apparently showed slightly better support than in the past, but I have no idea what precisely was being voted on. Just the general idea of MARTA serving the area? A specific plan?

Talk about MARTA serving the areas OTP which are currently unserved doesn't mean much without some sort of plan backing it up. Otherwise, it's just hand waving. IMO.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
A lot of people here talk about continued opposition to MARTA, but in reality it's been a couple of decades (literally) since any real attempt has been made to present a MARTA-related solution to the various suburban counties.

At least one mock vots has been taken in at least one suburban county in semi-recent history to get some idea of support, and it apparently showed slightly better support than in the past, but I have no idea what precisely was being voted on. Just the general idea of MARTA serving the area? A specific plan?

Talk about MARTA serving the areas OTP which are currently unserved doesn't mean much without some sort of plan backing it up. Otherwise, it's just hand waving. IMO.

The plan I have thought about is this: Building a rail line to serve Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw, Powder Springs, Vinings, East Cobb, and other areas in Cobb County. The buses should be used for local use and as a connection to the rail stations. There needs to be a plan to fund MARTA. That is one thing to think about.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,641,043 times
Quote:
The plan I have thought about is this: Building a rail line to serve Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw, Powder Springs, Vinings, East Cobb, and other areas in Cobb County. The buses should be used for local use and as a connection to the rail stations. There needs to be a plan to fund MARTA. That is one thing to think about.
I would absolutely love to see rail in some form between various key areas within Cobb County, especially something running from the Cumberland area (NW I-75/I-285 intersection) up through the main areas along the Smyrna-Marietta-Kennesaw line roughly paralleling I-75, and in truth I don't really care who runs it just as long as it delivers what is being paid for in the long run.

A lot of people that I know who live and work in Cobb could use that line for commuting, though I couldn't for work. But I might find it to be useful in other ways.

I also think some form of rail paralleling the northern arc of I-285 (maybe going from Cumberland to the Perimeter Mall and from there to points further east(?)) would be useful. But of course, that's just wishful thinking on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta