U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 08:22 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,157,684 times

Advertisements

Specific numbers on gangs sketchy*| ajc.com

Here is a chilling article from the Atlanta Journal and Constitution this morning:

Specific numbers on gangs sketchy: A new focus raises questions about just how significant the problem is in Atlanta

Quote:
[Atlanta Police Chief Richard] Pennington said in late July he is more than quadrupling the department’s gang unit to 26 officers in hope of repeating the success against gangs the department saw in the 1990s.
The chief’s announcement, made at a news conference with Mayor Shirley Franklin, followed the carjacking of City Councilman Ceasar Mitchell and the shooting death of former boxing champ Vernon Forrest, killed in a robbery. Three men were arrested in the killing; police have not said if they were gang members.
The year began with the killing of popular Grant Park bartender John Henderson, who police say was shot by Jonathan Redding, a 17-year-old member of a gang called 30 Deep.
Howard says 30 Deep, based in the Mechanicsville neighborhood south of downtown, is a well-oiled enterprise, controlled by adults who recruit young teens. He described them as a prolific gang that has plagued retailers, carrying out smash-and-grab robberies that have netted thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. Outraged boutique owners dubbed them the “Bluejean Bandits.”
They are more organized than the police,” Howard said.
50 gangs have been identified in Atlanta so far.

Quote:
Residents see threat

Bill Cannon, a lifelong west side resident, said gangs in his neighborhood are “highly structured, militaristic, almost corporate.”

He said groups of 30 or more young men sometimes mass at intersections, like Martin Luther King Jr. and Joseph E. Lowery boulevards. Wearing matching shirts and bandanas, they walk in a single direction as a show of force.
Quote:
‘Everybody’s problem’

Defense lawyer Mawuli Malcolm Davis, who grew up in Gangster Disciple territory in Chicago, said many Atlanta “gang bangers” with no real ties claim membership in national gangs. But being copycats doesn’t make them less dangerous, he said.

Davis said more middle-class kids were being drawn into gangs, which he partly blamed on the media-generated “thug culture.” “It is almost like a kid who is embarrassed by his privilege, trying to show he is as hard as those guys,” he said.

For instance, State Rep. Tyrone Brooks’ stepson Matthew Mitchell, a former college basketball player, is charged with murder. On Sept. 20, 2007, prosecutors say, Mitchell and five other men fired 70 shots at Christopher “Noonie” Copeland, who died from bullets that struck him, literally, from head to toe.
Gangs are a growing problem throughout the US. Even in my sleepy town less than an hour away from Atlanta, we have a launtry list of active gangs. The most recent activity involved a beating at the local high school and a deadly shooting that left a teenager dead and 3 others in the hospital. That same high school had to hire security to man the front gates after an incident 2 years ago. Last year, gang members opened fire with shotguns into a home where they thought a rival gang member was living. Turns out the had the wrong house and the bullets barely missed hitting a child.

These gangs are not just wannabees that target each other. They are now branching out and commiting crimes against non-gang members as well as running massive amounts of drugs up from Mexico. I wonder if we are fighting a losing battle against these groups.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,514,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
They are now branching out and commiting crimes against non-gang members as well as running massive amounts of drugs up from Mexico. I wonder if we are fighting a losing battle against these groups.
A good first, common sense step is to deport anyone who is here illegally, especially if they commit a crime. We need to streamline that process and take the red tape out of the system. You can't be in a gang in Atlanta committing crime if you're in Mexico or another country.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 AM

360 posts, read 851,453 times
I think conservatives who want it both ways are going to have to make up their minds which they want more -- lower taxes or law and order. I know which way I lean. Raise our taxes if we must. My No. 1 priority is feeling safe where I live. Punish the gang leaders harshly and severely and pay for programs to give the lower-ranking recruits an alternative. And that, my friends, will take $$$$.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:01 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,514,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
I think conservatives who want it both ways are going to have to make up their minds which they want more -- lower taxes or law and order.
Let's not make this a political debate. I will respond to your flawed logic though....add up the cost of the crime committed by and other services provided to illegal aliens and I think we can pay for border security and prevention without raising taxes. We can also reprioritize plenty within the pork stuffed budget to achieve the necessary if we had political will to do so.

I do agree though that if Cobb County had no other way to provide Police and Fire protection for my family, after current fiscal priorities were reviewed and reassessed, I would gladly pay more if it was TRULY necessary.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:07 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,157,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
A good first, common sense step is to deport anyone who is here illegally, especially if they commit a crime. We need to streamline that process and take the red tape out of the system. You can't be in a gang in Atlanta committing crime if you're in Mexico or another country.
We already have this system in place in my county. If someone is arrested, his/ her immigration status is checked. If the person is in violation of the law, he is held until federal authorities can come pick him up for deportation.

The sad thing is many of these criminals will simply cross back over the border at a later date and the cycle starts again.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,543,726 times
Most of these gangs are black thugs that the black community needs to deal with. Stop with all the PC talk and call it like it is. No other group of people that has been in the USA as long as blacks would even allow all of this crap to take place.

Blacks have to be the most non cohesive group of people in the country. Go to Miami and it's black Hatians that ruin everything. Every major city has gang problems and most of them are black gangs followed by hispanics.

It's just sick. Most violent crimes in this country are committed by these dumb ass black thugs.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Most of these gangs are black thugs that the black community needs to deal with. Stop with all the PC talk and call it like it is. No other group of people that has been in the USA as long as blacks would even allow all of this crap to take place.

Blacks have to be the most non cohesive group of people in the country. Go to Miami and it's black Hatians that ruin everything. Every major city has gang problems and most of them are black gangs followed by hispanics.

It's just sick. Most violent crimes in this country are committed by these dumb ass black thugs.
People don't just become criminals because of race.Who says the black community is not dealing with this?As a matter of fact,it is some "black communities" that are suffering from this malady more than the "mainstream".If mainstream America can't deal with it,then what makes you think the majority of blacks who are law abiding can deal with it?Here in lies the problem:If you continue to approach this as if this is a "black people issue instead of approaching this as a "people issue",it will continue to get out of control.You cannot allow an area to fester with all this criminality and not expect it to spread elsewhere eventually.The fact that most of the crime in the U.S.is in some way associated with drugs is very telling.Especially if a lot of these drugs are coming from Mexico and other countries in the region.Its the same mentality.We as Americans have to continue to try and stabilize Mexico.We should be worried that Mexico may become insolvent eventually.Trust me ,that will lead to the downfall of this country.Criminality stems from "lack of opportunity".Its not a "P.C." thing,its a common sense thing.That is true for all races.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:15 PM

281 posts, read 519,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
People don't just become criminals because of race.Who says the black community is not dealing with this?As a matter of fact,it is some "black communities" that are suffering from this malady more than the "mainstream".If mainstream America can't deal with it,then what makes you think the majority of blacks who are law abiding can deal with it?Here in lies the problem:If you continue to approach this as if this is a "black people issue instead of approaching this as a "people issue",it will continue to get out of control.You cannot allow an area to fester with all this criminality and not expect it to spread elsewhere eventually.The fact that most of the crime in the U.S.is in some way associated with drugs is very telling.Especially if a lot of these drugs are coming from Mexico and other countries in the region.Its the same mentality.We as Americans have to continue to try and stabilize Mexico.We should be worried that Mexico may become insolvent eventually.Trust me ,that will lead to the downfall of this country.Criminality stems from "lack of opportunity".Its not a "P.C." thing,its a common sense thing.That is true for all races.
I actually mostly agree. There are plenty of white criminals in areas that have been hit by meth. Also tons of welfare dependency. This county is in trouble because there are not that many opportunities for high-school dropouts and we are producing tons of dropouts right now. Manufacturers have figured out that they can pay people in China to work in factories for a fraction of what they pay here, and the workers there will not call in sick every friday or monday. Construction jobs have mostly gone to hispanic workers who also work harder for less money.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM

315 posts, read 825,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

I guess all the white crime is ignored by you. It figures!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:44 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,543,726 times
How many of those gangs are white gangs? That's what the topic of the thread is about Gangs. Many of them being black.

Why is it when the focus is on the short comings of blacks someone always has to bring whites into the situation as a comparison/ Damn, you can't doing anything thing without white folks, not even commit a crime..........it's no wonder why blacks are still followers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta