Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And I can't figure out what the heck religion has to do with the original post!
It doesn't have anything to do with it really. Someone brought it in as the antidote to the OPs problem and others have commented on that post.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinagedip View Post
We need God back into the schools.
Uhm, it's people who believe in "god" who come up with these paranoid extreme rules about touching and the "protect the children" BS that lead to ridiculous nanny-state style incidents such as the one described in the OP.

So NO, the LAST thing we need in schools is your "god". We need RATIONAL THOUGHT and reason.

Last edited by MrBlueSky_; 08-23-2009 at 07:18 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
To the original poster.

The one thing you need to do is make sure this alligation does not become a part of your childs cummulative folder. I would suggest you contact a lawyer if this alligation is documented, and if he got suspended, it will be documented. School systems do not like lawyers. Having one may give you some leverage.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:17 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And I can't figure out what the heck religion has to do with the original post!
It has nothing to do with it. Just another example of Christians' incessant need to insert their god and religion into everything, as if they are supposed to somehow be relevant to everyone.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 PM

214 posts, read 595,300 times
I second the advice of hey teach.

I had a nephew go through something similarly ridiculously over-reactive at his magnet school, and my own child has gone through academic-related garbage at her now old school. The principal will back the teacher, the Board will back the school, and no one will care until the words "formal complaint" and "attorney" are used with intent to follow through.

As for the local media, well, you already know what the deal is with that.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
While I don't think the "get God back in our schools" suggestion that somewhat derailed this thread is a direct answer to the OP's dilemma, a case can be made that the overly PC environment that won't even allow the word Chistmas to be used (must say winter break.. and the only images allowed during that season being snowflakes and snowmen... in Atlanta!) has a correlation to this extreme charge of sexual misconduct.

As one whose Chrsitianity is foundational in the life of me and my family, I don't want the public school to be the place where religion is taught. Too much of a hornet's nest that would be! However, the PC crowd that stamps out any religous expression to a silly extreme like my example above is also the same thought process that leads to ridiculous zero tolerance policies like this.

Many who would claim "let's get God back in our schools" are perhaps looking back to a day when our schools had much more common sense on interactions like this.

To the OP, please fight this ridiculous charge, find legal help if necessary as has already been suggested. Fight for your kids, he does not need anything like this shadowing him.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
To the original poster.

The one thing you need to do is make sure this alligation does not become a part of your childs cummulative folder. I would suggest you contact a lawyer if this alligation is documented, and if he got suspended, it will be documented. School systems do not like lawyers. Having one may give you some leverage.
I agree, you need a lawyer, this does not need to be on your sons permanent record, I would actually sue the school in this case for defamation of your sons good character.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetmama View Post
My SIX year old's school called me and told me that they had a problem with my son. I went up to the school. The vice principal told me (these are there words not mine. I still have the paper.) He moved a little boy to the side that was blocking the door by pushing him on the hip. Because this is considered a private area, we are going to have to suspend him for sexual battery on another child! The little boy was not hurt. My son is not a trouble maker. It wasn't even a hard or mean push. I asked my son to demonstrate what happen in front of them. He said the little boy was blocking the door and wouldn't let him out so he just pushed him to the side. He vp said we're not saying he tried to hurt him, it was where his hand was located! It was too close to his bottom! SEXUAL BATTERY!!! Dose anyone else think this is crazy or is it just me?
It's crazy. Last year my kindergartener (daughter) was being bullied, hit and kicked by a boy in her class. After about 2 weeks of this when I realized despite all my calls and e-mails and interference they weren't going to do anything, I contemplated pulling her out and put into another class....or even if necessary a private school. Low and behold the boy kissed her on the playground the next day and all of a sudden the situation was being taken seriously and thus the problem solved without any disruption for my daughter. Apparently "sexual harassment" trumps physical violence in the shady world of kindergarten.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
This whole 'touching' thing is freaking me the heck out. My son gets a comment almost daily about 'touching' other students. I had no idea what that meant. He said that he would touch someone on the arm to get their attention. I checked with the teacher and she said the same thing. Apparently any type of physical contact is verboten. I'm like, WOW. I mean, I've taught my son to keep his hands to himself, of course. Primarily in the context of not hitting or shoving other kids, but it never occurred to me that physical contact of any kind is zero toleranced. Yikes.

BTW, OP if I had to mortgage my house they wouldn't put that sick crap in my kid's folder. That kind of thing does follow a kid and a few years from now they'll be calling him a sexual perpetrator. Trust me, I used to investigate sexual abuse cases. You've got to bring in an attorney, immediately.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 AM

102 posts, read 389,330 times
Get an attorney - I know of a good one if you'd like to PM me. In the meantime, drop into central office and lodge a formal complaint to start the grievance process. They should have a simple form to fill out, and most likely, you have to go through the internal grievance process before you can sue.

Allege defamation and racial discrimination for starters but be fairly general in your statement of facts until you talk to your attorney. At the same time file an Georgia Open Records Act request (you can find a form letter to give you the language to use if you "Google Georgia Open Records Act") for documentation (they will have to redact personal information) on all disciplinary actions for sexual battery in grades K-5 with the race and gender of the student punished in each incident included as well as the punishment doled out. That should get some things moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: