U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 05:48 PM

34 posts, read 74,150 times

Advertisements

Hello. June 2010 I am moving me and my two kids to Georgia. After doing much research and thinking, I have narrowed down these choices listed above. I have read many forums but the bad ratings seem to out do the good ones. So I thought I would askf for the skinny on these places...What areas would you recommend for a single family? Are these areas' diverse? who has the best parks and school systems? What about the commute to the Atlanta Metro area? Are these places high in crime?(in your opinion) How is the housing market? I also have read from posts, Lithonia is considered country, and ghetto, why? Thanks all for the positive and negative feedback. See you soon...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,833,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplydeep81 View Post
Hello. June 2010 I am moving me and my two kids to Georgia. After doing much research and thinking, I have narrowed down these choices listed above. I have read many forums but the bad ratings seem to out do the good ones. So I thought I would askf for the skinny on these places...What areas would you recommend for a single family? Are these areas' diverse? who has the best parks and school systems? What about the commute to the Atlanta Metro area? Are these places high in crime?(in your opinion) How is the housing market? I also have read from posts, Lithonia is considered country, and ghetto, why? Thanks all for the positive and negative feedback. See you soon...

I would have to do a search on Lithonia but I'm certain there are parts of it that wouldn't be considered 'country or ghetto'.

ETA: I found this thread--not certain if this will help->>>
Lithonia, Ga Panola Road

I am not as familiar as some posters with Stone Mountain, Covington and Conyers--in general there will be more desirable areas anywhere you choose. If you find work on the east side of metro Atlanta then you could conceivably find a good neighborhood with some persistence. Click on 'Search' at the top of the screen and then click 'Advanced Search'. Enter a keyword such as 'Lithonia' or 'Conyers' and the system will retrieve previous threads which might give you enough FYI to ask more specific questions.

I think I suggested the Dacula/NE area of Gwinnett to you some weeks ago. I know it is safe, good schools and that the area will continue to grow. This area would be less diverse than communities closer to Atlanta. It is north of Lawrenceville and I read differing opinions of diversity in this area. Historically a conservative, primarily Caucasian area which is changing. Plenty of threads discussing the change/growth around Lawrenceville.

Imo, Conyers/Covington might also be less diverse but I cannot say for certain. The Lilburn/Stone Mountain area might be the more diverse area but there is a section that has a higher crime rate. Jimmy Carter Blvd/Beaver Ruin Rd or Indian Trail Rd--that area.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,517,977 times
The Stone Mountain/Lilburn areas that are good are generally located between Hwys 29 & 78. As it's been stated again and again, it's really about school districts. These areas that I mentioned are served by Brookwood and Parkview schools, some of the better ones in the county. Most schools in Gwinnett exceed state and national statistics. One exception might by Meadowcreek, but I hear it's starting to turn around. Gwinnett schools are one of three finalists for earning an honor of being the best urban school district in the country.
Gwinnett is very very diverse. Some like it, some don't. Overall, most of us like it. Also, something to note, Gwinnett has the number one park system in the country.
There really is something for everyone here!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM

34 posts, read 74,150 times
Thanks everyone

Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 PM

43 posts, read 101,325 times
If you are looking for great schools, low crime, and nice neighborhoods, stay away from Stone Mountain(except Parkview dist), Covington, and Lithonia. Your best bet is in Gwinnett. Since you seem to want to live close in, check out homes in the Parkview, Grayson, and Brookwood District. Also, the new cluster, Archer is in a good area. Check out South Dacula, near Grayson.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,005 times
im planning to move to atl this summer im looking at henry count specifcally mcdonough any insights also im looking at gwenett please help me thank u all

Old 01-16-2010, 05:53 AM

45 posts, read 191,640 times
I have worked in both the Rockdale county schools (Conyers- 2001-2006) and Gwinnett (2006-present). Speaking from a strictly school point of view, Gwinnett is definitely a better choice.

I enjoyed Rockdale county schools because it was more of a sense of community because the schools were smaller and I have to admit the technology was better (6 computers per classroom). I enjoyed my time in the schools and developed a close bond with my teachers and administrators. Definitely a sense of family within the schools and I felt the schools were very community based.

Gwinnett is huge and I find it really lacking in technology (I now only have one computer in my classroom). Its also a very bureacratic county, BUT the teaching practices and expectations for its teachers and students far exceed Rockdale. They are much more in line on the most current research in educational practices and methodologies.

It was difficult my first couple of years in Gwinnett, learning how to teach in such a different (and much more productive) style, but what I see my 1st graders doing with this change in my teaching methods is amazing. The county really educates its teachers to make sure they are knowledgeable in the most current educational trends. But on the downside, that sense of community and family fails to go beyond the actual individual school. You might have some relationships within the cluster, but school to county or school to other schools outside your cluster is practically nonexistent. I was on a first name basis with some administrators at Rockdale at the county level. In Gwinnett, I am just my employee number to those county people.

Of course, this is my opinion as a teacher as I am sure others might feel differently. But if it were my choice, my kids would attend Gwinnett schools rather than Rockdale.

Oh- parks and recreation- Gwinnett definitely has the upper hand. Voted some of the best in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or