Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:10 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareengineer1101 View Post
Thanks BritishInTown. Can you tell me what the IT environment is like in Atlanta right now. Hard to find work? Too many developers?
There are a lot of kids but not a huge amount of good developers, but like everywhere, belts are being tightened and people are waiting for an upturn in the economy, do you work in a specific discipline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:33 AM

35 posts, read 92,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
There are a lot of kids but not a huge amount of good developers, but like everywhere, belts are being tightened and people are waiting for an upturn in the economy, do you work in a specific discipline?
Mostly windows development. Winforms or WPF in C# or VB.NET with Agile/Scrum and XP. I also do web development in Silverlight or ASP.NET.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Please be aware that your wife may have difficulty finding work here. Elementary teaching jobs are now far and few between. GA raised class size this year (reducing the need for teachers) and several large school systems have gotten system waivers that allows them to raise class size even more. We don't expect class size to be reduced any time soon. Far fewer teachers are leaving the field or retiring.

If you both need to work, this is something to consider.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Mostly windows development. Winforms or WPF in C# or VB.NET with Agile/Scrum and XP. I also do web development in Silverlight or ASP.NET.
You have a highly repeatable skill set to be honest, you may well find it hard breaking into the Atlanta market as a freelancer.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
You have a highly repeatable skill set to be honest, you may well find it hard breaking into the Atlanta market as a freelancer.
I'm not actually looking for 1099 work. I'm looking for direct hire or contracting work through a recruiter. Also, I'll
be applying for Sr. level positions in many cases.

Last edited by softwareengineer1101; 09-02-2009 at 05:41 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I'm not actually looking for 1099 work. I'm looking for direct hire or contracting work through a recruiter. Also, I'll
be applying for Sr. level positions in many cases.
Good luck, it costs nothing to try.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Good luck, it costs nothing to try.
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,614 times
Also you may wish to have a look at the accommodation pages on this site to see if you and your wife can find work by renting for a while in your shortlisted areas, then you can make longer term area decisions based on your experiences/requirements, rather than anyone elses. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM

200 posts, read 449,320 times
Quote:
We ARE black , and we are not concerned with how many black or white people reside where ever we settle. We a looking for a relatively safe location in metro Atlanta, with good public or private schools, that is affordable given our combined incomes.
Lithonia Has some great areas look into the 30058 zip code they have great subdivisions its relatively quiet and nice place to raise a family. The schools are okay but If you are involved with your children's education it shouldnt be bad for you. Greenridge is a fantastic subdivision that your income could get u in. Welcome back to Atlanta!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 PM

59 posts, read 274,633 times
If you care to expand your horizons outside and north of the perimeter, check out the Atlanta Real Estate in the five large counties north of the city, N Fulton, S Forsyth, Cobb, Gwinnett, Cherokee. Lots of great neighborhoods and schools.

Good luck,

Rob M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta