U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,661,078 times

Advertisements

The thing is, it's nearly impossible to know exactly for sure how many crimes actually ARE being committed in Atlanta.

Here's one blurb online about the recent numbers regarding burglaries, but those who have been here a while might remember early in Pennington's career here when the Feds did an investigation and found that the APD had not reported 20,000 crimes over a period of time. These ranged from minor to severe crimes. Pennington and Franklin at the time said it was "clerical error", and oddly even though at the time the Feds seemed to make a big deal of it, not much came out of it shortly after that, at least what the public heard, anyway. So who knows in the years since how many "clerical errors" there may have been.

Then of course there are those who don't even report crimes - usually lower income, those who are afraid they will get arrested themselves for some other reason, or illegals, that never get put on the books for that reason. Then, factor in the measurable rise of some crimes post-Katrina, which also brought with the migration a number of harder-core New Orleans gangs to this area (a fact Pennington even admitted to).

This kind of stuff (errors in reporting, crimes not being reported) no doubt happens across the entire country from small towns to larger cities, but once it's on your record that you "lost" 20,000 reports, it does make you wonder if things are even much worse than the sometimes overhyping media shows you on TV.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,407,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I dont think the stories we hear now are more disturbing, I just think now they get more media attention because the victims are not just poor inner city blacks anymore like they were in the 80's and 90's. Due to gentrification of certain areas and other ethnic groups moving into Atlanta, the victims undoubtedly will be more diverse, and by extension more news worthy. I dont see how anyone who lived in Atlanta back then can even begin to say that it is getting worse now. There were almost 300 murders a year in Atlanta from 1983-1990, the number of murders a year isnt even close to half that these days. I remember seeing on the news how 4 people were killed in one day in the Eastlake Meadows projects in 4 seperate incidents, I remember hearing how the Boobie Boys (Miami Boys) put a baby in a microwave and killed it because the father stole some drugs from them. If anything this city is very calm from how it used to be, people get all worried about some break in's in Grant Park, but I remember when Georgia Ave looked how Simpson Rd looks now. I really think people who say crime is worse now in Atlanta have very short selecive memories or they just moved here after '96

It's worse now because its affecting "other" people...

Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 PM

625 posts, read 914,786 times
yeah, it's a cesspool here of scum. You're safer walking around in NYC at 3AM wearing all prada and a gold-plated purse, than in Atlanta wearing cheap clothes and looking like crap... like most of the people who occupy the streets here.

There have been over 3 dozen burglaries in my apt. complex in past 2 years. I'd be scared if I didn't live near the leasing office.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 AM

170 posts, read 330,544 times
Well good thing it's not the cops killing an elderly woman this time.

I have walked around downtown - Edgewood outside of the connector no less - at 2AM wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase more times than I can count over the last few years (many times after work I walk straight to a restaurant / bar, eat dinner, and do work on my laptop til they close) and have never been robbed or accosted. There's another data point to add to your set.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,428,507 times
Atlanta still isnt as dangerous as DC, Bmore, Philly, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Phoenix,etc

Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 AM

815 posts, read 1,794,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post

My thoughts exactly........Atlanta now in 2009 is very safe compared to the Atlanta I grew up in the late 80's and early 90's. There may very well be more crime in areas like Clayton, Dekalb, and Gwinnett, but the city of Atlanta's crime has gotten much better.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,782,322 times
Or purse snatching bank robbers.. this am in mableton i believe it was

Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,967,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Or purse snatching bank robbers.. this am in mableton i believe it was
Yup, the RBC Bank on Fontaine Road according to the AJC:

Woman robbed at Cobb bank*| ajc.com

Old 09-02-2009, 10:21 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,661,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Such as law abiding, working, tax paying citizens perhaps - instead of drug dealers such as in years past? I see nothing wrong with people not giving a hoot if drug pushers are shooting each other, but to be concerned if law abiding contributing citizens are being victimized.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:58 PM

7,809 posts, read 11,781,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Such as law abiding, working, tax paying citizens perhaps - instead of drug dealers such as in years past? I see nothing wrong with people not giving a hoot if drug pushers are shooting each other, but to be concerned if law abiding contributing citizens are being victimized.
Are you serious about this? Law abiding citizens being the victims of crime isn't a new thing. Having lived in this city my whole life I'm with youngmj, things have never been better. Keep in mind that saying that isn't equal to saying people should "just get over it" when it comes to crime in the city. People should just stop acting like Atlanta has become some sort of lawless pee-pee hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or