U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 PM

58 posts, read 188,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I hear you but the numbers themselves dont lie, when you moved here in 1982 Atlanta was averaging almost 300 murders a year, last year in 2008 there were not even 150 murders. In 1988 there were more armed robberies per capita in Atlanta than any other city in America, that is not the case now. In the late 80's and early 90's there were a number of very violent drug gangs in the city like the Boobie Boys in Herdon Homes, Down by Law in Eastlake, the Alley Boys from Carver Homes, D4L in Bowen Homes and Hightower (yes that bubble gum pop record label was anything but that back in the day) just to name a few. These little crews full of dread headed teenagers running around these days like 30 Deep and MDC who sell nickel bags of drugs and break into stores and steal clothes are no where near as bad as the crews and drug gangs of the 80's and early 90's that would literally go into their respective areas and shoot anything that moved. They used to have shoot outs in Techwood that were so bad the cops wouldnt even come into the complex until the SWAT team arrived. These breaking and enterings coupled with a smash and grab here or there you see on the news these days pale in comparison to the things that went on back then
The gangs in Atlanta today are more dangerous because they are affiliating with national gangs, from L.A. and Chicago and those are the most vicious breed of street gangs. When I first moved here there were no crips, bloods, nortenos, surenos, now they are all here wreaking havoc. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta has always been bad and always will be, but the drug/robbing crews of the 80's were less pervasive and more insulated to their neighborhoods than the gangs Atlanta has now.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:43 PM

3,408 posts, read 8,479,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
This is not to say crime is not out there, especially in such down times in the economy. Does anyone know how crime was in 2008 say, compared to 2005 or 2000.
I think that crime in 2008 and 2009 is lower than pre-1996, but higher than 2005. 2005 was the year that crime was at a 40-year low, before it started going back up in '06 after the Katrina. I'm not sure about the actual 2000 statistics, but I can say that that was the time I felt the most safe in the ATL. Then again, I wasn't reading AJC everday, and when I did watch the news it was either about John Rocker or Elian Gonzalez. The Gold Club scandal was another major local news at the time. All I was worried about back then was going to Buckhead Village and if I was going to hook up. Getting shot at or robbed was the last thing on my mind. Even though that was around the time of the high profile Superbowl shooting.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,114,145 times
Default Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Well that is true and the recent wave of crime is very disturbing, however this is very well one the worst recessions and very bad economic times and it leads to crime. Also we have to deal with instant access via the internet, multiple news channels and 24 hour cycles.

Our ability to access such information, so readily has made us much more informed than in the past 25 years. So statistically speaking crime and even the types of crimes committed today is MUCH lower, our access to media and information is just more available.
Great point. We are in the 21st century now and we earthlings can receive information in real-time...AS IT HAPPENS! Unfortuantely I don't think human beings have collectively evolved the ability to process all of this info and maybe place it within a certain context, such as the fact that you and others have mentioned, that Atlanta crime now wasn't as bad as it was 20 or so years ago.

I will also mention/reiterate that maybe what we are seeing is the results of what happens when you close down the public projects and spread the poor around. These robberies are happening I think because people are now being surrounded by "wealth" and opportunity when under different circumstance from 20 years there was none, opportunity that is. Back then people of the ghetto background preyed upon each other, within their enclosed crapholes. That plus an incohesive community/culture will equal chaotic violence.

Just a thought...

Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,114,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think that crime in 2008 and 2009 is lower than pre-1996, but higher than 2005. 2005 was the year that crime was at a 40-year low, before it started going back up in '06 after the Katrina. I'm not sure about the actual 2000 statistics, but I can say that that was the time I felt the most safe in the ATL. Then again, I wasn't reading AJC everday, and when I did watch the news it was either about John Rocker or Elian Gonzalez. The Gold Club scandal was another major local news at the time. All I was worried about back then was going to Buckhead Village and if I was going to hook up. Getting shot at or robbed was the last thing on my mind. Even though that was around the time of the high profile Superbowl shooting.
I always thought of the Gold Club as Atlanta's own version of the "Bada Bing" as profiled on "The Sopranos". We never keep ANYTHING cool in this city for long. Oh well...

Old 09-03-2009, 07:17 PM

815 posts, read 1,787,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffman View Post
The gangs in Atlanta today are more dangerous because they are affiliating with national gangs, from L.A. and Chicago and those are the most vicious breed of street gangs. When I first moved here there were no crips, bloods, nortenos, surenos, now they are all here wreaking havoc. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta has always been bad and always will be, but the drug/robbing crews of the 80's were less pervasive and more insulated to their neighborhoods than the gangs Atlanta has now.

HAHAHAHA, anyone who grew up in the city of Atlanta will tell you the bloods, crips, and gd's all tried to make there footprint in Atlanta back in the 90's, it didnt work then and it is not even happening now, but if it was it still wouldnt work. There a no real bloods, gd's and crips in Atlanta, just a bunch of posers who listen to too much Lil Wayne and Gucci Mane. Also allot of those are NYC transplants as NYC has basically copied the entire LA gang culture, they have dudes in Harlem that claim gang streets and gang hoods in LA. How stupid is that, someone from 145 & Broadway in Harlem calling themselves Chrenshaw Mafia Bloods?? That should show you in of itself how "real" they are. Just because a fake blood moves to Atlanta from NYC does not make him a real blood now that he is in Atlanta. Truth be told Atlanta has become more connected nationally, but its not because of gangs, its because of drugs. Atlanta has become the hub for allot of other cities in the south and the midwest to come and get drugs from, but that has nothing to do with gang ties and more to do with Mexican Cartel. And please dont say they are making Atlanta worse, if anything they are making it better in their own weird way as the Cartel's here in America go out of their way to not make any waves and get involved in conflicts on this side of the border. There is no gang war going on here, the drug dealers themselves dont even fight over turf here like they used to. The Atlanta police themselves have said it, turf is not an issue in Atlanta anymore, its nothing for a kid from Bankhead to go get with a crew from Pittsburgh,wheras back in the day someone from Bankhead wouldnt dare step foot in Zone 3 and vice versa.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
It's worse now because its affecting "other" people...
Maybe but to be perfectly honest, I really don't give a flying hoop about gang members and dope dealers killing each other. Could care less. Just a case of one thug having better aim than the dead one. But when they start terrorizing innocent people, something needs to be done.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Maybe but to be perfectly honest, I really don't give a flying hoop about gang members and dope dealers killing each other. Could care less. Just a case of one thug having better aim than the dead one. But when they start terrorizing innocent people, something needs to be done.
I don't care either, but usually the innocent get caught in the crossfire.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yup, the RBC Bank on Fontaine Road according to the AJC:

Woman robbed at Cobb bank*| ajc.com
A few things here:

1. A lesson in geography- Mabelton is always in some danger simple because it is right across the bridge from "Bankhead Highway" in Atlanta thus providing easy access to the numerous thugs and low lifes that populate the area on the other side of that bridge. If I had my way, Bankhead Hwy would end at the Hootch and the bridge would be demolished to better protect the citizens of South Cobb. At the very least, the county should consider closing the bridge at night.

2. This from the news account:
Several witnesses saw the robbery and chased after the suspect. They were able to catch the suspect after he jumped off a wall and injured his leg, Hernandez said.
When was the last time any citizens in Fulton chased a criminal. More likely they'd be cheering the criminal as he ran from the cops!

3. If and when he is caught, he will go to the Cobb County Jail and he will stay there until his trial more than likely. Such people do not get a "get out if jail free" card out here like they do in Fulton/

Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
HAHAHAHA, anyone who grew up in the city of Atlanta will tell you the bloods, crips, and gd's all tried to make there footprint in Atlanta back in the 90's, it didnt work then and it is not even happening now, but if it was it still wouldnt work. There a no real bloods, gd's and crips in Atlanta, just a bunch of posers who listen to too much Lil Wayne and Gucci Mane. Also allot of those are NYC transplants as NYC has basically copied the entire LA gang culture, they have dudes in Harlem that claim gang streets and gang hoods in LA. How stupid is that, someone from 145 & Broadway in Harlem calling themselves Chrenshaw Mafia Bloods?? That should show you in of itself how "real" they are. Just because a fake blood moves to Atlanta from NYC does not make him a real blood now that he is in Atlanta. Truth be told Atlanta has become more connected nationally, but its not because of gangs, its because of drugs. Atlanta has become the hub for allot of other cities in the south and the midwest to come and get drugs from, but that has nothing to do with gang ties and more to do with Mexican Cartel. And please dont say they are making Atlanta worse, if anything they are making it better in their own weird way as the Cartel's here in America go out of their way to not make any waves and get involved in conflicts on this side of the border. There is no gang war going on here, the drug dealers themselves dont even fight over turf here like they used to. The Atlanta police themselves have said it, turf is not an issue in Atlanta anymore, its nothing for a kid from Bankhead to go get with a crew from Pittsburgh,wheras back in the day someone from Bankhead wouldnt dare step foot in Zone 3 and vice versa.
I think we should round up all the gang members, give them all AK-47s and take them somewhere that has no normal people around and let them go at it until only one is left standing- or sitting. Maybe we could like make a TV show out of it and have a thug host it- like "Yo! MTV Kills" or something. That is about how much value I put on those folks. While you are at it, let the crackheads and the meth heads fight it out too.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:06 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A few things here:

1. A lesson in geography- Mabelton is always in some danger simple because it is right across the bridge from "Bankhead Highway" in Atlanta thus providing easy access to the numerous thugs and low lifes that populate the area on the other side of that bridge. If I had my way, Bankhead Hwy would end at the Hootch and the bridge would be demolished to better protect the citizens of South Cobb. At the very least, the county should consider closing the bridge at night.
It's true that Veterans Memorial Highway leads right into the Bankhead area (and becomes Bankhead Highway), and that might be the source of some of the commercial crime you sometimes hear about along that road, but I've really not seen any impact from it living a couple of miles north of Vet. Mem. Hwy on Cooper Lake Road (roughly 4.5 miles from the bridge).

I think the impact of Mableton's proximity to the Bankhead area is sometimes overstated, and I get the impression that some parts of southern Mableton have their very own local issues that are not really caused by Bankhead.

Quote:
2. This from the news account:
Several witnesses saw the robbery and chased after the suspect. They were able to catch the suspect after he jumped off a wall and injured his leg, Hernandez said.
When was the last time any citizens in Fulton chased a criminal. More likely they'd be cheering the criminal as he ran from the cops!
I noted that as well, and that made me feel good. Hopefully that reaction will help to act as a deterrent. Probably not, but one can hope...

Quote:
3. If and when he is caught, he will go to the Cobb County Jail and he will stay there until his trial more than likely. Such people do not get a "get out if jail free" card out here like they do in Fulton/
Cobb County seems to be fairly sane and "well-run" in general. I can't really comment on Fulton County other than to say that some of the stories I've heard coming from that county make me glad I live on the other side of the Chattahoochie.

I live WTR (West of The River), and the ETR folks can stay on their side!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or