U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 03:15 PM

58 posts, read 188,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
HAHAHAHA, anyone who grew up in the city of Atlanta will tell you the bloods, crips, and gd's all tried to make there footprint in Atlanta back in the 90's, it didnt work then and it is not even happening now, but if it was it still wouldnt work. There a no real bloods, gd's and crips in Atlanta, just a bunch of posers who listen to too much Lil Wayne and Gucci Mane. Also allot of those are NYC transplants as NYC has basically copied the entire LA gang culture, they have dudes in Harlem that claim gang streets and gang hoods in LA. How stupid is that, someone from 145 & Broadway in Harlem calling themselves Chrenshaw Mafia Bloods?? That should show you in of itself how "real" they are. Just because a fake blood moves to Atlanta from NYC does not make him a real blood now that he is in Atlanta. Truth be told Atlanta has become more connected nationally, but its not because of gangs, its because of drugs. Atlanta has become the hub for allot of other cities in the south and the midwest to come and get drugs from, but that has nothing to do with gang ties and more to do with Mexican Cartel. And please dont say they are making Atlanta worse, if anything they are making it better in their own weird way as the Cartel's here in America go out of their way to not make any waves and get involved in conflicts on this side of the border. There is no gang war going on here, the drug dealers themselves dont even fight over turf here like they used to. The Atlanta police themselves have said it, turf is not an issue in Atlanta anymore, its nothing for a kid from Bankhead to go get with a crew from Pittsburgh,wheras back in the day someone from Bankhead wouldnt dare step foot in Zone 3 and vice versa.
Alright, you made some good points that I agree with. There are a lot of posers. But you can't deny these kids have numbers. Go to any mall from lenox to west end right now you'll see them with their red bandana's out of their back right pocket. There is a difference between the Bloods and Crips,etc. in atlanta now and when they first started showing up in the early 90's (which I do know about by the way, the shooting at underground atlanta in 1990, the firebombing that killed the babygirl in the early 90's by gangster disciples,to name a few incidents), and that difference is its far more widespread and the kids now are more well informed about it now than they were back then when they were more wannabes. Since now they rely on music,the internet(myspace,youtube),and the transplants from other states, it's hard to dismiss them when they know the ins and outs of gang culture,the symbology,codes,and are more organized,and a bigger threat. I can tell you are a little older than this generation like me so you don't take them seriously but gangs like 30 deep, MDC, (who are both claming to be bloods by the way) wouldn't be on dept. of justice.gov website or in the AJC just about everyday if they were a complete joke. And yes like you mentioned the cartels making atlanta a drug hub,and this in my opinion gave rise to gangs like black mafia family,who if you compared them to the miami boys from the 80's who do you consider a more prolific,organized drug gang? obviously bmf. as you admitted yourself atlanta's become a major player in drug trafficking,and i predict its already becoming that for gangs as well.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,404,161 times
At lease Atlanta isnt as bad as DC, Bmore, Philly, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Phoenix, New Orleans....

Old 09-04-2009, 03:54 PM

815 posts, read 1,788,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffman View Post
Alright, you made some good points that I agree with. There are a lot of posers. But you can't deny these kids have numbers. Go to any mall from lenox to west end right now you'll see them with their red bandana's out of their back right pocket. There is a difference between the Bloods and Crips,etc. in atlanta now and when they first started showing up in the early 90's (which I do know about by the way, the shooting at underground atlanta in 1990, the firebombing that killed the babygirl in the early 90's by gangster disciples,to name a few incidents), and that difference is its far more widespread and the kids now are more well informed about it now than they were back then when they were more wannabes. Since now they rely on music,the internet(myspace,youtube),and the transplants from other states, it's hard to dismiss them when they know the ins and outs of gang culture,the symbology,codes,and are more organized,and a bigger threat. I can tell you are a little older than this generation like me so you don't take them seriously but gangs like 30 deep, MDC, (who are both claming to be bloods by the way) wouldn't be on dept. of justice.gov website or in the AJC just about everyday if they were a complete joke. And yes like you mentioned the cartels making atlanta a drug hub,and this in my opinion gave rise to gangs like black mafia family,who if you compared them to the miami boys from the 80's who do you consider a more prolific,organized drug gang? obviously bmf. as you admitted yourself atlanta's become a major player in drug trafficking,and i predict its already becoming that for gangs as well.

Finally, someone on here who knows what they are talking about!!!!! Lots of people dont or cant draw the connection between BMF and the Cartel, but I knew years ago that the Cartel was BMF's "plug". And your right BMF was waaaaay more organized then the Miami Boys aka Boobie Boys, I had some friends involved with BMF and their crew used to be spread all over the country- Miami, St.Louis, LA, South Carolina etc....and the money, All I can is wow! But I do think the Miami Boys were more dangerous though, BMF did their share of dirt in the streets, but I think the Miami Boys take the cake in regards to violence. And MDC and 30 Deep, yeah I guess it is because I am a little older than them, and I just cant respect them. Its funny you said that they claim bloods, this little hopper who goes to my barber shop said the same thing just this morning. IDK what is going in my city, we used to claim our zone, side, street, 'hood or whatever. If you would have claimed a gang when I was in high school we would have laughed at you. It was all about block crews in my day........LOL @ me talking like I am an old man

Old 09-04-2009, 06:14 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,593,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's true that Veterans Memorial Highway leads right into the Bankhead area (and becomes Bankhead Highway), and that might be the source of some of the commercial crime you sometimes hear about along that road, but I've really not seen any impact from it living a couple of miles north of Vet. Mem. Hwy on Cooper Lake Road (roughly 4.5 miles from the bridge).

I think the impact of Mableton's proximity to the Bankhead area is sometimes overstated, and I get the impression that some parts of southern Mableton have their very own local issues that are not really caused by Bankhead.

I noted that as well, and that made me feel good. Hopefully that reaction will help to act as a deterrent. Probably not, but one can hope...

Cobb County seems to be fairly sane and "well-run" in general. I can't really comment on Fulton County other than to say that some of the stories I've heard coming from that county make me glad I live on the other side of the Chattahoochie.

I live WTR (West of The River), and the ETR folks can stay on their side!
I don't know about now but I know in the past that kids sneak over that bridge to attend Lindley Middle School even though they don't live in the county. I really do not mind paying to school the ones who value our fine educational system over here and want an education but I have heard from more than one source that some of them are gang members and troublemakers. And you are right. Cobb County is well managed and well ran.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:08 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
I was just talking to a friend about this yesterday.He graduated from Morehouse in 2000.We started talking about the 19 year Spelman student that was killed a couple of days ago.He and I agree that the area near the AUC is nothing like it used to be.There were shootings it seemed almost weekly up until around 1998.It seemed it cleaned up a lot.I think there is an uptick in crime currently, but I think it is the speed in which the change has occurred more than the actual numbers.I am more aware of my surroundings than I would be where I grew up in the burbs.
I purchased a newly built house between Vine City and Historic Westside.I have been here 4 years.It is sometimes minor hassles that go with life living in the city and even more so an area in transition.My Dad was a Dean at Clark-Atlanta,so my parents knew the area well.They were somewhat concerned at first,but that subsided as the years have gone by.Although in the last year,there concerns have arisen again.So its really just more like the media makes you think that you cannot go anywhere without being a victim.I choose to live here,but I know that don't have to be scared .I would never live somewhere like that.However that does not mean I think I live in "Mayberry".
What Im saying is that I think its better to be "on guard" EVERYWHERE than the "obvious" places.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 PM

7,794 posts, read 11,729,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I was just talking to a friend about this yesterday.He graduated from Morehouse in 2000.We started talking about the 19 year Spelman student that was killed a couple of days ago.He and I agree that the area near the AUC is nothing like it used to be.There were shootings it seemed almost weekly up until around 1998.It seemed it cleaned up a lot.I think there is an uptick in crime currently, but I think it is the speed in which the change has occurred more than the actual numbers.I am more aware of my surroundings than I would be where I grew up in the burbs.
I purchased a newly built house between Vine City and Historic Westside.I have been here 4 years.It is sometimes minor hassles that go with life living in the city and even more so an area in transition.My Dad was a Dean at Clark-Atlanta,so my parents knew the area well.They were somewhat concerned at first,but that subsided as the years have gone by.Although in the last year,there concerns have arisen again.So its really just more like the media makes you think that you cannot go anywhere without being a victim.I choose to live here,but I know that don't have to be scared .I would never live somewhere like that.However that does not mean I think I live in "Mayberry".
What Im saying is that I think its better to be "on guard" EVERYWHERE than the "obvious" places.
I think your assessment is spot on. I'm amazed everyday just how different S.W. Atl is now compared to the 80s and 90s and find it funny how people judge things just by what they see on T.V.

I went to the 'house in the 90s too. Trust me, the area is much better now than it was then.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,392,328 times
Its like I said... crime is nowhere NEAR what it used to be in Atlanta... its just an issue now because it's affecting other people. As far as Bankhead on the end closest to the bridge near Mableton, for one they have closed down pretty much all of the courts over there near the bridge... they are abandoned. Honestly Bankhead Hwy really isnt even all that bad to me compared to what it used to be. There was a time when I wouldnt dare even ride down that road at night because people would catch you slippin at the red light and rob you. Now.. its still not the best area but VERY pale in comparison to the early to mid 90s. I mean.. theyve even put up some luxury apartments on Bankhead.. couldnt believe it until I saw it myself last Saturday.

Now if you want to speak on a dangerous strip... then I wont even argue with you about Simpson Rd. The first time I rode down that street I didnt realize where I was at first because the name on the street signs didnt say Simpson. I got down about to where the railroad tracks are and started looking around.....and that is some of that most depressing stuff id ever seen in my life.. and I GREW UP in the PJ's. Bloods and crips in Atlanta? Not at all... its just the same people that have BEEN here running in cliques that decided to pick some colors to show unison but its not really anything to sweat. 9 times out of 10 they rarely even leave their area. I have some people in the hood and I dont have any fear going in there. Biggest thing about it is you cant look vulnerable because thats what they feed on. If you LOOK like you dont belong there then youll be a target. Back in the day I used to mess with a female that stayed right across the street from Hollywood Courts in Bankhead and I hated going over there at night... but I always kept my gun on my lap when I went over there and they knew it so I never had any problems. Had another friend that stayed in Thomasville Heights off Moreland... and honestly I think that street between Moreland and Metropolitan where the prison is was just as or even more dangerous than the Bankhead Hwy area. Thomasville Heights have been abandoned as well and looks like its about to be torn down too.

People complain about the crime.. and its not the greatest, but some people that have never lived in major cities outside of Atlanta dont realize how good they have it. Having lived in DC for a few years ..that was one city where I just did NOT feel comfortable whatsoever in certain areas. You want to see crime.. go to SE DC, Anacostia, PG County and then come back to Atlanta and youll realize how bad things COULD be. There are parts of town there where calling 911 is a moot point because they'll never show up. Police cameras on every corner and people STILL dont care. And I wont even mention the city 45 mins to the north by the name of Baltimore.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Yeh.Savannah and Macon are more dangerous to me.People dopwn there are some crazy stufff.And it has NEVER let up.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM

7,794 posts, read 11,729,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I'm not sure how you got "people should just get over it" out of my quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
That was just me clarifying my stance and I was not assigning
Someone was suggesting that in the past, a large percentage of the crime wasn't committed against middle class whites, so people ignored it, but once middle class whites started to become victims, suddenly it's news.

My rebuttal was that this isn't the case. ANY law abiding tax paying citizen (white, black, or "other") who has been the victim of a crime is usually brought to light in the news - it was the druggies shooting druggies that in the past wasn't always reported as much. Much of that still isn't reported due to the sheer amount of it, and honestly, I don't think many people care of the druggies are shooting each other - they just don't want it to happen in their area or for them to be in the crossfire.

I've been in Atlanta since 1984 and disagree with "things have never been better". In the past you always had a share of break-ins in certain intown neighborhoods, and car breaks-ins are an issue in any city, but you did not have home invasions when the occupants were home, nor did you have SUVs full of guys pull up, and the guys jump out to mug/rob pedestrians with AK47s. This is a newer trend (for here), and does not indicate "better times" than in the past regarding crime here.
This I believe is a matter of "Perception creates reality".

I don't like to assume things about people normally, but I'm going to guess that you didn't live in, or spend a lot time around, Southwest or in any of the housing projects around the city.

From the time I was born I saw a city that was tearing itself apart. When I was a small child it was during the time of the Atlanta Child Murders. Every parent on the southside was scared poopless for years because of that. Then came the crack epidemic and all of it's associated ills.

Before I was fifteen I've seen/lived thorough the following things:

-Drive by shootings where innocent people got caught in the crossfire (the first one I saw I was 7 years old)
-Crackheads hitting old women and men in the back of their head for the change in their pockets
-Having to sleep in a bathtub so I wouldn't be shot by a stray bullet
-High school aged kids being "jumped" for their shoes/jacket/ball cap as they walked down the street
-Kids being beaten down by gangs for not having drug money they owed
-People being beaten/killed for gang initiations

All of this stuff hardily happens with the same frequency now-a-days. You may be more exposed to it now due to the way that news reporting has changed, but trust me, I still frequent most of the neighborhoods I grew up in as kid and they are NOTHING like they used to be.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 PM

35 posts, read 79,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Finally, someone on here who knows what they are talking about!!!!! Lots of people dont or cant draw the connection between BMF and the Cartel, but I knew years ago that the Cartel was BMF's "plug". And your right BMF was waaaaay more organized then the Miami Boys aka Boobie Boys, I had some friends involved with BMF and their crew used to be spread all over the country- Miami, St.Louis, LA, South Carolina etc....and the money, All I can is wow! But I do think the Miami Boys were more dangerous though, BMF did their share of dirt in the streets, but I think the Miami Boys take the cake in regards to violence. And MDC and 30 Deep, yeah I guess it is because I am a little older than them, and I just cant respect them. Its funny you said that they claim bloods, this little hopper who goes to my barber shop said the same thing just this morning. IDK what is going in my city, we used to claim our zone, side, street, 'hood or whatever. If you would have claimed a gang when I was in high school we would have laughed at you. It was all about block crews in my day........LOL @ me talking like I am an old man
I used to hear about BMF in Detroit back in the day (Late 80s to Early 1990s). They were called "The family" back then and had pretty big numbers. I didn't know they were still around. When did they get to Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or