U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times

Advertisements

Think about a city with maybe 400,000 people in it and all the assorted killers, rapist, robbers and child molesters that are turned loose on it everyday. That is life in Fulton County! I wonder what people who are IN jail are there for since even killers walk out the jail door- often before their victims even are cold!

DA: Too many murder suspects get bond*| ajc.com

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Default Another Day, Another Murder... Ho Hum in the ATL!

What would life in Atlanta be like without at least one murder of an elderly woman everyday?

Elderly laundromat owner killed in A.M. robbery*| ajc.com

Old 09-01-2009, 03:13 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,573,979 times
Topics merged as they are of a similar theme (crime) and it's best to combine rather than create separate threads for each one. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,391,623 times
It seems like you post one of these topics about the same thing every week.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:50 PM

281 posts, read 519,250 times
Sadly,there is a large segment of the population here that has no qualms about killing an Asian shop owner over a few dollars.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:56 PM

767 posts, read 1,782,905 times
The same old thing that has been going on for 30 or 40 years. This didn't just start yesterday in Atlanta anymore than it did in other big cities. The real question is what can be done about it?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM

289 posts, read 401,984 times
Do what I did...move away from the crime areas or move away from atlanta. And don't watch the news unless you want to be depressed.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM

3,408 posts, read 8,479,427 times
The thing is that even if the overall crime numbers are lower than say 1993, the stories that we hear about now are more sickening and disturbing, such as the 80 year old lady who was brutally murdered at the laundromat. Back then, the killings were more related to drug deals or other confrontations that occurred in the rough parts of town that most people could avoid. Now, a lot of victims are innocent people that just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. That is why Atlanta feels less safe now.

What we need to do is find out what would eliminate the urge for people to commit such heinous crimes. How is it that Tokyo is one of the populated cities in the world and hardly has any crime? San Diego is another example of a large city of almost 1.5 million people where everyone seems to be happy and have no desire to commit crimes. Even New York and Los Angeles have low crime rates for their populations. I think that the culture of crime and violence is glorified in Atlanta among their youth and many want to be hardcore thugs, similar to how Los Angeles used to be in the 90's (think of Menace II Society and how many people wanted to be like O-Dawg). If L.A. cleaned up and got its act together, then Atlanta should be able to also.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 PM

815 posts, read 1,787,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The thing is that even if the overall crime numbers are lower than say 1993, the stories that we hear about now are more sickening and disturbing, such as the 80 year old lady who was brutally murdered at the laundromat. Back then, the killings were more related to drug deals or other confrontations that occurred in the rough parts of town that most people could avoid. Now, a lot of victims are innocent people that just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. That is why Atlanta feels less safe now.

What we need to do is find out what would eliminate the urge for people to commit such heinous crimes. How is it that Tokyo is one of the populated cities in the world and hardly has any crime? San Diego is another example of a large city of almost 1.5 million people where everyone seems to be happy and have no desire to commit crimes. Even New York and Los Angeles have low crime rates for their populations. I think that the culture of crime and violence is glorified in Atlanta among their youth and many want to be hardcore thugs, similar to how Los Angeles used to be in the 90's (think of Menace II Society and how many people wanted to be like O-Dawg). If L.A. cleaned up and got its act together, then Atlanta should be able to also.

I dont think the stories we hear now are more disturbing, I just think now they get more media attention because the victims are not just poor inner city blacks anymore like they were in the 80's and 90's. Due to gentrification of certain areas and other ethnic groups moving into Atlanta, the victims undoubtedly will be more diverse, and by extension more news worthy. I dont see how anyone who lived in Atlanta back then can even begin to say that it is getting worse now. There were almost 300 murders a year in Atlanta from 1983-1990, the number of murders a year isnt even close to half that these days. I remember seeing on the news how 4 people were killed in one day in the Eastlake Meadows projects in 4 seperate incidents, I remember hearing how the Boobie Boys (Miami Boys) put a baby in a microwave and killed it because the father stole some drugs from them. If anything this city is very calm from how it used to be, people get all worried about some break in's in Grant Park, but I remember when Georgia Ave looked how Simpson Rd looks now. I really think people who say crime is worse now in Atlanta have very short selecive memories or they just moved here after '96

Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,208,798 times
Quote:
Think about a city with maybe 400,000 people
We broke the 500,000 mark. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or