U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,456 times
Reputation: 12
Default Great Schools and Friendly Neighborhoods

We are currently trying to evaluate a possible move to the Atlanta metro area, but I am having difficulty assessing our options for both schools and housing. Any input is appreciated.

I have two really bright kids (my 11 year old is already in Honors Algebra I and my 13 year old scored a 1650 on the SAT at the age of 12). Where we live there are fantastic public school options for them for middle school and high school due to magnet programs for gifted kids. But I can't seem to find any middle schools and high schools in the Atlanta area that offer such programs. I found a private school (Westminster) which would meet their academic needs, but they don't want to go to private school and we would rather they be in public school as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for school programs that might be a good fit?

Also, in order to avoid a tedious work commute, we would like to live somewhere north of Bankhead Highway/North Avenue/Ponce De Leon Ave/Scott Blvd. We would prefer to be in a safe neighborhood where we can let the kids walk the dog without worry. And we would prefer to be close to parks, nice outdoor areas, walk-able markets and restaurants (organic markets, yoga studio, and great vietnamese food are a huge plus!!) We don't want to be near chain restaurants and chain stores and cookie cutter houses. Nor do we want to be surrounded by high fashion, WASP-ish country clubs, and teens driving Porsches. We would love to have neighbors from different countries and a variety of religions and political pursuasions. We would love to renovate an older home (purchase price between $400-$600K) or to buy an already renovated pre-1950s home or nicer new-construction between 2500-3500 sq. feet (purchase price between $750-$950K). Does anyone suggestions for neighborhoods to target?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta/Decatur/Emory area
1,320 posts, read 2,675,942 times
Reputation: 469
I think the City of Decatur might appeal to you. Other posters will have more insight on the schools. City of Decatur is a charter school system that is quite innovative (at least in comparison to other schools in Atlanta).

City web site: http:www.decatur-ga.com
Blogs:
http://www.decaturmetro.com
http://www.decaturmom.com
http://www.thedecaturminute.com


There are magnet schools for high achievers in DeKalb county (which would also suit your geographic needs) but I don't have any first-hand experience with them. Of course, there are also lots of private school options, but if your kids are fundamentally opposed to private schools that won't really help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Inman Park (Atlanta, GA)
19,721 posts, read 7,919,621 times
Reputation: 10427
IMO, Westminster is a very Waspy private school. I think that these two private schools are the most diverse in their student population:

The Galloway School: A private school for students Pre-K through Grade 12 located in Atlanta Georgia (GA)
Paideia School

I graduated from The Galloway School and the founder of the Paideia School was a student of Mr. Galloway.

Neighborhoods:

I reside in Inman Park. Our unofficial motto is "It's hard to be odd in Inman Park" Inman Park But Inman Park is located south of North Avenue.

City of Decatur, GA
City Schools of Decatur

Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia

All the neighborhoods have restaurants, shopping and yes - yoga classes within walking distance or a short car/bike ride.

The best Vietnamese restaurants are going to be located on Buford Highway. EatBufordHighway is a fun website to investigate.

This is where I go to pick up Vietnamese sandwiches! Lee's Bakery - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
 
8,687 posts, read 11,947,197 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamom2 View Post
We are currently trying to evaluate a possible move to the Atlanta metro area, but I am having difficulty assessing our options for both schools and housing. Any input is appreciated.

I have two really bright kids (my 11 year old is already in Honors Algebra I and my 13 year old scored a 1650 on the SAT at the age of 12). Where we live there are fantastic public school options for them for middle school and high school due to magnet programs for gifted kids. But I can't seem to find any middle schools and high schools in the Atlanta area that offer such programs. I found a private school (Westminster) which would meet their academic needs, but they don't want to go to private school and we would rather they be in public school as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for school programs that might be a good fit?

Also, in order to avoid a tedious work commute, we would like to live somewhere north of Bankhead Highway/North Avenue/Ponce De Leon Ave/Scott Blvd. We would prefer to be in a safe neighborhood where we can let the kids walk the dog without worry. And we would prefer to be close to parks, nice outdoor areas, walk-able markets and restaurants (organic markets, yoga studio, and great vietnamese food are a huge plus!!) We don't want to be near chain restaurants and chain stores and cookie cutter houses. Nor do we want to be surrounded by high fashion, WASP-ish country clubs, and teens driving Porsches. We would love to have neighbors from different countries and a variety of religions and political pursuasions. We would love to renovate an older home (purchase price between $400-$600K) or to buy an already renovated pre-1950s home or nicer new-construction between 2500-3500 sq. feet (purchase price between $750-$950K). Does anyone suggestions for neighborhoods to target?
Considering your criteria (academic rigor, non-waspy, lifestyle, commute, housing style(s), etc.), I would recommend the following school districts/areas:

1. City of Decatur (City Schools of Decatur...Renfroe Middle and Decatur High)

2. Grady High Area in the City of Atlanta (Atlanta City Schools...Inman Middle and Grady High)

3. Riverwood High Area in Sandy Springs (Fulton County Schools...Ridgeview Middle and Riverwood High)

4. Wheeler High Area in East Cobb-Marietta (Cobb County Schools...East Cobb Middle and Wheeler High)

*I think you would be very happy with any of these choices.
*There is no need for you to choose a private school.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by aries4118; 09-02-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
 
3,521 posts, read 7,337,673 times
Reputation: 1029
DeKalb has some magnet programs but they are by lottery admission. I would not buy in DeKalb. At the middle and high school level, DeKalb makes it hard to move a gifted child into a school and to get served immediately.

Aries' suggestions are good.

But keep in mind that GA is in a real economic crisis. I just came from a meeting where I learned that public education will most likely take a big hit (it has already been hit pretty hard) when the legislature reconvenes. We can expect larger class sizes and probably fewer school days as well as fewer extras. If you are in a place where this is not the case, you may want to consider staying put.

I am a public school advocate but I am worried about funding and what the lack of revenue to the state and thus to the school districts will mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 03:24 PM
 
102 posts, read 240,265 times
Reputation: 75
City of Decatur is in DeKalb, but is a different school system. They are squeezed financially like everyone else in GA is.. but they are definitely better off than Dekalb Co. Schools.

Decatur does have a lot of gifted kids. About a fourth of the students are gifted ID'd. The middle school is and IB school, and the high school is also in the process of going in that direction. IB involves a lot of project based learning and that model seems to work well for the gifted kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,249 posts, read 11,336,550 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamom2 View Post
We are currently trying to evaluate a possible move to the Atlanta metro area, but I am having difficulty assessing our options for both schools and housing. Any input is appreciated.

I have two really bright kids (my 11 year old is already in Honors Algebra I and my 13 year old scored a 1650 on the SAT at the age of 12). Where we live there are fantastic public school options for them for middle school and high school due to magnet programs for gifted kids. But I can't seem to find any middle schools and high schools in the Atlanta area that offer such programs. I found a private school (Westminster) which would meet their academic needs, but they don't want to go to private school and we would rather they be in public school as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for school programs that might be a good fit?

Also, in order to avoid a tedious work commute, we would like to live somewhere north of Bankhead Highway/North Avenue/Ponce De Leon Ave/Scott Blvd. We would prefer to be in a safe neighborhood where we can let the kids walk the dog without worry. And we would prefer to be close to parks, nice outdoor areas, walk-able markets and restaurants (organic markets, yoga studio, and great vietnamese food are a huge plus!!) We don't want to be near chain restaurants and chain stores and cookie cutter houses. Nor do we want to be surrounded by high fashion, WASP-ish country clubs, and teens driving Porsches. We would love to have neighbors from different countries and a variety of religions and political pursuasions. We would love to renovate an older home (purchase price between $400-$600K) or to buy an already renovated pre-1950s home or nicer new-construction between 2500-3500 sq. feet (purchase price between $750-$950K). Does anyone suggestions for neighborhoods to target?
Well that pretty much rules out any part of the City of Atlanta that cost under about half a million dollars. There are a few places- like along Briarcliff Rd and in NW Atlanta (Morris Branden Elementary is a decent school) but they cost alot.
You really should consider Cobb County. Here where we live in Smyrna, there are many great older houses, the schools are great and it is safe and well policed. The commute will not cause you to consider suicide either (avoid 285 if you can) and, if you don't want to deal with it at all, we do have CCT bus service. We also have magnet math schools but I think only 9-12th.
Kennesaw Mountain High School: Advanced Math, Science, & Technology Academy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 AM
 
193 posts, read 410,494 times
Reputation: 73
Also, consider Fulton Science Academy (middle school) and the North Springs HS magnet (math/science or the arts) or Riverwood IB program. Riverwood also has an international studies magnet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 06:49 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,456 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you for all the fantastic suggestions! They sure help steer me in the right direction! I have to say, my kids may want to go to public school, but I checked out Galloway and Paideia after they were mentioned and Paideia may actually be a fantatic fit for them. I also really love some of the old homes I have found online in the Druid Hills and Virginia Highland areas.

Thanks for all of the public school recommendations. I will continue to investigate them. My 11 year old is currently in an IB program, so finding another IB program would be great. But he does need to have the opportunity to take Geometry and Algebra II in 7th and 8th grades. That seems to be the biggest stumbling block. Also, I really would like to find a high school for my daughter that has enough College Level courses to keep her stimulated. She is in position to start taking multiple AP classes in 10th grade and needs to have enough classes for 11th and 12th as well.

Thanks also for the EatBufordHighway recommendation. Yum!!! That is a great blog and we will definitely rely on it for food suggestions if we do decide to make the move.

I appreciate all of your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Inman Park (Atlanta, GA)
19,721 posts, read 7,919,621 times
Reputation: 10427
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamom2 View Post
Thank you for all the fantastic suggestions! They sure help steer me in the right direction! I have to say, my kids may want to go to public school, but I checked out Galloway and Paideia after they were mentioned and Paideia may actually be a fantatic fit for them. I also really love some of the old homes I have found online in the Druid Hills and Virginia Highland areas.
You are welcome Know that the two schools are very competitive to get into as the schools are so small. Galloway only has 715 students from Pre-K to high school and Paideia has 912 students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamom2 View Post
Thanks also for the EatBufordHighway recommendation. Yum!!! That is a great blog and we will definitely rely on it for food suggestions if we do decide to make the move.

I appreciate all of your help!!
Sure thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top