U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 PM

188 posts, read 511,683 times

Advertisements

My school opted out completely. I think it's incredibly disrespectful.

I couldn't stand Bush, but if my school refused to air a message from him to students, I'd be just as horrified. Our elementary school held a mock election last fall. So, we can teach kids about the election process at school, but not about who actually wins? My Kindergartner watched Curious George last week at school -- is Curious George more related to the Georgia Performance Standards than a the President? (Our school sent home a letter saying that the President's address was not, and I quote, "part of the GPS and therefore will not be part of our instructional day.")

Yes, we will be watching it at home, but I think that sort of misses the point. The kids say the pledge of allegiance every morning to our flag -- why can't they listen to a message from the President when he's actually giving it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:45 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,200,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The thing is that video was made by the guy who starred in "Dude, where's my car?" and produced "Punk'd". You're surprised it was total crap?
I guess it shows my age. Know of Demi Moore, the girl from Something about Mary, Will I Am from the Pea's, and Diddy. But the rest? Demi's toy and the others seemed like kids. Have no knowledge of Dude, Where's my Car and Punk'd. The first to me is looking for my car in the Mall lot, the other? Well The Sex Pistols come to mind.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,117,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I know nothing about the situation, but generically, I wonder what would have been said had the mural only depicted "blonde haired, blue eyed" white kids? That would have been subjected to scrutiny, and probably rightly so, although in both cases political correctness rears its ugly head.

As for Obama's address, I have no problems with it, provided it's not political. The President of the US should be able to address students about important topics such as staying in school and taking responsibility for their own education. I just hope he can keep the politics at bay.
Hopefully he(Obama) will do much better job at that than Reagan did, God rest his Soul... On another note, shouldn't this thread belong in the "politics" portion of city data? Just wondering, I guess.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:26 PM

12,930 posts, read 19,818,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Hopefully he(Obama) will do much better job at that than Reagan did, God rest his Soul... On another note, shouldn't this thread belong in the "politics" portion of city data? Just wondering, I guess.
There is a thread there, and also one under "Education". I think it's interesting to read it as a state issue though. It brings the focus back to schools our kids attend, and how they are choosing to handle it.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:16 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,738,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I guess it shows my age. Know of Demi Moore, the girl from Something about Mary, Will I Am from the Pea's, and Diddy. But the rest? Demi's toy and the others seemed like kids. Have no knowledge of Dude, Where's my Car and Punk'd. The first to me is looking for my car in the Mall lot, the other? Well The Sex Pistols come to mind.
LOL

Old 09-06-2009, 08:19 PM

45 posts, read 186,543 times
WE are being required to show it in my school (Gwinnett). I don't have an issue with it really....the message that is suppose to be delivered is a good one. I think some have concerns that it will be filled with political propaganda.

I know some of the teachers were outraged- and yes, they are conservatives. I am as well- but like I said, the message is a good one.

My husband's main issue is that politics don't belong in the public schools.

I am more concerned about keeping my 1st graders tuned in, so to speak. I don't know how appropriate its going to be for them. I can't even imagine what the Kindergartners are going to take away from it.

Parents have an opt out should they chose to use it- I know some of the aforementioned teachers' kids will not be watching it.

If my kids were old enough, I would let them watch it. I am not happy with the current president but he is the leader of this country, he was voted in by the people (even if I was not one of them) and therefore deserved the respect that comes with being a president.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,525,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormomtotots View Post
I don't have an issue with it really....the message that is suppose to be delivered is a good one. I think some have concerns that it will be filled with political propaganda.

I know some of the teachers were outraged- and yes, they are conservatives. I am as well- but like I said, the message is a good one.
I'm with you. I think the problem today is we've forgotten how to separate the office of President of the United States with the political position that office holder also fills within his party. The POTUS should be able to lead the nation without invoking politics, but unfortunately both parties have forgotten what it means to lead and are locked in a game of one upsmanship with each other.

My kids will listen to the President in school, and if they have questions or comments about what he said, then that's where my job as parent and counselor comes in. I am capable of helping my children to process and filter the information as I feel is appropriate for them. They will have to live with people throwing all kinds of information and opinion at them, so they better be prepared to ask questions and determine the credibility of the information presented.

Personally, I hope they enjoy hearing from the President and it's a non-partisan event. We need more of that back in our society.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,876,728 times
I can't imagine how my son's teacher will keep a classroom of kindergartner's engaged in the president's speech--more power to them. I try to get him to watch these type things as much as possible, thus far he was most engaged by President Ford's funeral, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. He tends not to listen to speeches overly much.

I remember Mr. Reagan giving a similar speech when I was in school. I'm pretty sure my parents weren't sent an opt-out form. Given the way my parents felt about the man I'm sure they would've opted out.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:08 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,594,237 times
I think any kid who is pulled out of school for the whole day because of this by their parents should have this on their permanent record as an "unexcused absence". If for whatever reason the parent(s) don't wish for their kids to view it, they can request the child go to the cafeteria, principal's office, teacher's lounge... wherever, during the speech. But some of these people are pulling their kids out for the entire day to avoid it, and that's just plain ... yes I'm going to say it... anti-American. Pulling a kid out to miss ALL their classes in order to avoid a what - 30 to 45 minute (if that) speech? A kid missing an entire day of education just so angry mom and dad can make a political statement. How small.

Since most Atlanta metro parents seem to have forgotten what being a teen is about, I'll remind them as well (though the forgetfulness isn't contained just to Atlanta): If you tell your kids they "can't" do something or can't watch something, what do you think they're going to do? WATCH IT! So, you pull your kids out of school, and what do you think they're going to do... not watch it later on the web because you say so? C'mon. They'll log on via the spiffy laptop you got them while in their room, or even on their cell phone, and watch it.

I know a couple of set of parents who do the whole thing - they are keeping their kids home that day. They have protested books in school libraries. They have signed petitions to bring prayer back into schools. They have restricted their kids to G and very very tame PG movies and all that. And I can tell you this.. their kids can't WAIT to turn 18 to get the heck out of dodge, too. Those kids will turn 18, leave home for school or just to leave, and in the years to come they will do everything in their power to NOT be like they remember their parents to be. So by playing over-protector and anti-government conservative, all these folks are doing are causing their kids to think, "Oh, no way am I gonna be like this when I get older". The kids will leave at 18, move to the West Coast, and you'll be lucky to see them once a year until you get old and they stick you in a home with some Barry Manilow records because there's no way they're going to let you live in their basement and rant about "that black guy they once elected as president".

Ok, rant over, I strayed 'cause this subject ticks me off. I put it in the same category as the elected officials who use the health care "town meetings" to just get on stage and spend the whole time bashing Obama. The guy is President. Let him talk to the kids. Let the man do his job. If you don't like it, then VOTE in 3 years. But for now folks, stop using every little thing to be anti-Washington.

ok. done.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 AM

2,671 posts, read 5,413,509 times
Great, great Post AtlantaGreg!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or