Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,095,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Well, I dont think that anyone would disagree that the aforementioned rap songs embody the "ghetto" that you so speak of, but who cares? To be honest, these songs had the effect of putting Atl on the map and more or less spurring the population increase that Atl saw during the former part of the early 21st century.

As much as you, Cobain, and some of your euro-centric affiliates (that ran like chickens to the far flung suburban enclaves that "claim" Atlanta as their anchor), might have a disdain for black oriented music in Atl, you have to admit.....most of these artists that you would label as ghetto probably have a MUCH better financial portfolio and economic outlook than yourself...even if theyre in and out of jail (hey at least they have the funds to deal with their legal calamities). These same rap artists have contributed greatly to the image of Atlanta as an entertainment mecca for the south, when this city after segregation could have easily wound up looking like Detroit. What have you contributed to Atlanta, besides traffic and rhetoric that is borderline nazi/racist? Hmmmm?

Soooooo................. with that said....

I dont have any particular favorite Atl song, but since Im involved in the music industry I hear it all and honestly I think NO one can do it like the Atl rap artists from the 90s. 85 is a favorite of mine!

Oh, btw Cobain, the reason you may not hear much from Outkast may be the fact that the duo is one of a FEW diamond selling artists in urban music and prolly doesnt need to do anything else to be financially well off for as long as they live. Thats right Cobain.....diamond.

Oh...and please....lets NOT bring back Cobain from the dead. His music aint too bad kinda nice actually but lets let the grateful dead rest in peace. Thnx!
-Put ATL on the map? With who? Wannabe rappers, thugs, baby-mamas and other ghetto types? Here is a newsflash -- non-ghetto people don't like to live around ghetto types. Surely you don't think Welcome to Atlanta attracted high-caliber people to Atlanta.

Of course, you may be okay with attracting those types of people. I would agree with you that Atlanta has been a magnet for ghetto people for the last decade or so. I am sure those songs had something to do with it.

-I have a residence in Buckhead, which is inside the city limits. My parents didnt even live here when white flight occurred. They moved to Dunwoody in 1978 from Cleveland. Don't try to paint me as the Southern redneck type, I am far from it.

-I don't have disdain for black music, at all. I have disdain for music that portrays my city as a ghetto-filled cesspool where criminals and thugs can get a break, regardless of the race of the person singing.

-Who cares if they make a lot of money? More worship of materialism. Money isn't everything. They clearly have no morals and they are a joke to mainstream America. Money can't buy class. They will always be trash, no matter how much money they have.

-You have it all mixed up. Rap music hurt Atlanta's image, it didn't help it. Things were going great in the post-segregation era. Some would even consider the 70s-90s Atlanta's golden age. Then the 2000s hit, rappers discovered "the ATL" and things have been going downhill since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,774,579 times
ONE reminder:

This isn't a Sociology class folks - read the FIRST post in the thread for the TOPIC, and stick to that. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 AM

2,432 posts, read 3,817,408 times
1. "Lemonade Stands (On Panola Rd.) - Unsung 1's

2. "Atlanta" - Canibus (even though he is not from here, but currently lives here...)

3. "Red to the Green" - Dat Bu (old Atlanta underground group... changed their names to Supernatural then broke up -- produced by DJ Kemit... Two guys a dope female mc... Could have rivaled the Fugees... Never blew up. )

BTW: There is another thread called "The Affect Hip-Hop has had on Atlanta" for further debate... Let's not run this thread into the ground...

Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,385,136 times
I get so sick of this dudes racist rants being allowed to stay here yet when anything is said to counter it it gets deleted.

Moderator reply: There is a fine line between an opinion (even an unpopular one) and a "racist rant". If anyone makes a true "racist rant" it gets deleted and they are given an infraction. But so long an an opinion is basically about the topic of the thread, it won't be deleted just because it's unpopular. That being said, if anyone repeats the same type of "opinion" over and over again, they will be subject to "trolling" which is not allowed. And last, please do not discuss other posters as this is not allowed.

End of clarification

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-14-2011 at 10:51 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 AM

128 posts, read 213,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
-Put ATL on the map? With who? Wannabe rappers, thugs, baby-mamas and other ghetto types? Here is a newsflash -- non-ghetto people don't like to live around ghetto types. Surely you don't think Welcome to Atlanta attracted high-caliber people to Atlanta.

Of course, you may be okay with attracting those types of people. I would agree with you that Atlanta has been a magnet for ghetto people for the last decade or so. I am sure those songs had something to do with it.

-I have a residence in Buckhead, which is inside the city limits. My parents didnt even live here when white flight occurred. They moved to Dunwoody in 1978 from Cleveland. Don't try to paint me as the Southern redneck type, I am far from it.

-I don't have disdain for black music, at all. I have disdain for music that portrays my city as a ghetto-filled cesspool where criminals and thugs can get a break, regardless of the race of the person singing.

-Who cares if they make a lot of money? More worship of materialism. Money isn't everything. They clearly have no morals and they are a joke to mainstream America. Money can't buy class. They will always be trash, no matter how much money they have.

-You have it all mixed up. Rap music hurt Atlanta's image, it didn't help it. Things were going great in the post-segregation era. Some would even consider the 70s-90s Atlanta's golden age. Then the 2000s hit, rappers discovered "the ATL" and things have been going downhill since.
Attracted ghetto types? If you feel that way lol. I didnt know that 34% of the total Atl metro population comprising college students and yuppies were considered low class ghetto folks. Most of those I see moving here are ambitious yuppie types who see Atl as a big new adventure in bright lights with an awesome future here. Atl also is a highly educated city having more post secondary educated people here than any other city in the south besides Houston. And if not a yuppie, then I see middle to upper class african americans that move here for a better way of life that Atl can offer at a cheaper price of living. Didnt know those single black mothers in Dekalb Co making 100k and up on their own constituted as ghetto or low class.

But I digress. Cobain, Im sure you are aware of the Atl urban music market as being the largest urban LISTENING audience in America, even beating out bigger cities like LA and NY. That translates to jobs and job creation. Didnt know a young producer or beat maker working in Patchwerks or Bricksquad studios were worshipping materialism. I always thought that was just being an adult and paying the bills.

Hurt Atlanta's image? Ive been on Atl time machine and I saw what this city looked like in the 70s.....pure trash. No glitz, no glam, no bright shiny lights in midtown....just Projects everywhere, dirty streets, a weak transit system, prostitutes ALL up and down peachtree, underbuilt roads, etc. ANd while most of that was cleaned up for the Olympics in the 90s, that cleansing paved the way for the music industry to set up shop in a now safe environment, free of crazed fans and the paparazzi.

Atl now has never had a better image as a city. Clean, trendy, hip, fashionable, cosmo, a perfect fit for young upwardly mobile college students like myself. Gone are the projects and much of the filth that kept this city in the stone age. And I would actually consider the 90s to be the golden age of atlanta which has continued in to the present day. Most music nowadays in Atl rap doesnt even present a true ghetto vibe, as opposed to more of a party, clubby, flashy, fashion-laden scene. Folk just wanna dance and have fun and Atl has been good at supplying that music.

All in all, the music has been a great fit and some of these same folk, Cobain, that you wanna lump in the hood category actually are upstanding citizens of Atl who give back to those who need it the most (like Ludacris, who is always donating to the community and the youth). And some of these folks are also your neighbors up in buckhead. lol

I applaud all the efforts to pump up Atl as a media hub as well as all the unsigned and underground artists/producers/promoters who have a dream and are pursuing it in these fair Georgia hills. Much love and respect. #teammusic
#teamindustry
#letsGO!!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM

31,994 posts, read 36,537,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Hurt Atlanta's image? Ive been on Atl time machine and I saw what this city looked like in the 70s.....pure trash. No glitz, no glam, no bright shiny lights in midtown....just Projects everywhere, dirty streets, a weak transit system, prostitutes ALL up and down peachtree, underbuilt roads, etc. ANd while most of that was cleaned up for the Olympics in the 90s, that cleansing paved the way for the music industry to set up shop in a now safe environment, free of crazed fans and the paparazzi.
I don't think Atlanta's civic or musical history is quite as dismal as you suggest. The city itself had a significantly higher population and density by 1960 than it did at the time of the Olympics. There wasn't trash everywhere, prostitutes were not all up and down Peachtree, and we had a pretty good transit system, including all of today's freeways and one the nation's few heavy rail systems. We've also have a very long and deep music history that goes back decades before the hip hop craze.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,385,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I get so sick of this dudes racist rants being allowed to stay here yet when anything is said to counter it it gets deleted.

Moderator reply: There is a fine line between an opinion (even an unpopular one) and a "racist rant". If anyone makes a true "racist rant" it gets deleted and they are given an infraction. But so long an an opinion is basically about the topic of the thread, it won't be deleted just because it's unpopular. That being said, if anyone repeats the same type of "opinion" over and over again, they will be subject to "trolling" which is not allowed. And last, please do not discuss other posters as this is not allowed.

End of clarification
And youre going to tell me he doesnt do this in EVERY thread even remotely related to anything that has to do with black people? Yea whatever.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:27 PM

2,432 posts, read 3,817,408 times
Certified PG-13

YouTube - ‪Killer Mike - Comin Home Atlanta‬‏

Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,689,251 times
Pablo Cruise, Atlanta June. For some reason youtube does not have it, it was a great song from about 77.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,689,251 times
Totally bizarre video, but you can hear Atlanta June.

YouTube - ‪Connor's Brio Toy Train Music Video‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta