Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 103,341 times

Advertisements

Has anyone got any feedback on these two builders, I've been searching them out on line, I've had the opportunity to see one sub division by Homelife Communities, "The Amhurst" in South Fulton, the models were NICE! I have not personally seen any work by Crown Communities. I'm planning on visiting ATL again in early June, we want to relocate this summer. Also if anyone can tell me about the Douglasville and Powder Springs area, both builders have homes in these towns. ONE FINAL THING, whats the commute like to downtown ATL from these two areas? Look forward to anyones response. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 07:57 PM

34 posts, read 192,843 times
Thumbs down Homelife...thumbs down

I would not recommend buying a Homelife Home. I am not saying this based on what I've found as a result of research, but, I have several friends who have bought Homelife Communities and are not pleased. I pulled a contract from a Homelife Communities home just recently based on what I found. I would check out other options. There's actually a thread on here about some people's experiences with Homelife, you can browse around and see where it is. I live in Fairburn, and the commute to downtown is probably about 25-30 minutes (considering traffic starts when you get closer to downtown). Not sure about the commute from Douglasville or the west, maybe someone reading this can give you some insight.

Hope this is a start.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 PM

17 posts, read 103,341 times
Thanks InSightful 914, it is a start, wow, I actually like the models we saw but never did I think of looking at the fine details. I did read a thread from Wednesday someone mentioned they don't put gutters on the back side of the house, well hopefully there will be some others that will respond to my thread for more insight. Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM

35 posts, read 221,823 times
Default I wouldn't discount them

I wouldn't just write them off without doing more research. I actually live in one of their communities (not in Fairburn, though) and have had nothing but good expereinces. I feel like I got much more than the other builders I was looking at (KB, Legacy, Crown and Pulte).

Old 06-04-2007, 02:50 PM

218 posts, read 1,188,998 times
Good Scout, how long have you lived in your Homelife home? Because you are one of the first people I've come across that actully had a little something positive to say. All the research I've done with them has been negative. That's good to know, though.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 53,315 times
Default Hell No!

My husband and I will NEVER move into a Homelife community. I worked for them a little over 2 years ago. Moderator cut: Removed

Anyway, the warranties department was constant chaos. Tons of unsatisfied homeowners. Not to mention that the paper did a story on some of their communities and the unhappy homeowners a year or so ago. They throw up so many communities so quickly that I seriously doubt they are being built very well.

Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 06-05-2007 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Potentially Libelous

Old 06-17-2007, 11:04 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
GoodScout makes a great point -- and I’m speaking from a professional standpoint as I‘m a new construction buyer‘s agent. Homelife & Legacy offer a lot for the money. The fine details that are sometimes lacking can be easily overcome by the homeowner to add even more value to the home. Do your research and compare all the builders. You will find that these two builders offer a compelling value. Are they perfect? Of course not, but nor are the other builders.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:16 PM

218 posts, read 1,188,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
GoodScout makes a great point -- and I’m speaking from a professional standpoint as I‘m a new construction buyer‘s agent. Homelife & Legacy offer a lot for the money. The fine details that are sometimes lacking can be easily overcome by the homeowner to add even more value to the home. Do your research and compare all the builders. You will find that these two builders offer a compelling value. Are they perfect? Of course not, but nor are the other builders.
I am sorry, but I have heard to many complaints about both of them, particularly from homeowners. Sure you get a lot for your money, but, are foundation problems and warranty chaos, among other things, worth it? I have yet to find anything positive about Homelife and I have combed this entire forum. There are more than just "fine details lacking" there are other major things lacking. Before I bought my house I researched both of these in my area and talked to some homeowners and just was not pleased AT ALL.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:24 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
I am sorry, but I have heard to many complaints about both of them, particularly from homeowners. Sure you get a lot for your money, but, are foundation problems and warranty chaos, among other things, worth it? I have yet to find anything positive about Homelife and I have combed this entire forum. There are more than just "fine details lacking" there are other major things lacking. Before I bought my house I researched both of these in my area and talked to some homeowners and just was not pleased AT ALL.

Then you have 3 options:

1. Pay a lot more money for the same size home from a different builder.
2. Buy a smaller home from a different builder.
3. Don’t buy a home at all, just rent.

For me, I would take care of the small details myself and put the equity in my pocket. Regarding foundation problems, that can happen with any builder. What’s more, the warranty will cover a foundation issue that is indeed a real problem. Many uninformed people think small hairline cracks in concrete are “foundation problems”. Not so…. Also, many people aren’t candidates to be homeowners. Homeownership requires maintenance and being in tune with your home to get the most out of it. It is not without a commitment from the homeowner.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 AM

133 posts, read 504,676 times
Frankly, I've been in model homes of Homelife Communities where imperfections slapped me right in the face. For instance, slanted floors, squeaky floors, and crooked molding. I met someone who told me that they purchased one of their homes and their hubby was just walking up the stairs one day and kicked the back of a step right out of joint.

I'd rather pay more money for quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta