Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:29 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times

Advertisements

i love his movies and plays...but his tv show House of Payne....I really dont like it...ive watched it and just cant grasp the show...it has some really weak comedy...i think tyler couldve done better but i do applaud his efforts.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:31 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
All he's doing for Precious (Praise be to God) is promotion. He did not direct or adapt the screenplay. I'm not crazy about the book, but what the heck.
But of course you wouldnt be. But for them to make a movie about it after all these years LOTS of others had to be. In fact that could be said about TPs work as well.......... all of you nay sayers may not like him and/or his work but LOTs of others do which is which his movies sell out everytime. If you dont happen to be in his target audience or just dont like his work dont be a hater just go rent "gone with the wind" or some other movie of your taste and stop watching his work. There you go problem solved.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:46 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Interesting you should mention Gone With the Wind, I loathe the movie, but apparently Tyler Perry loves it since his movies are full of the same coonery and stereotypes. As for a hater, hmmm, not so much. The term 'hating' implies that Mr. Perry has something that I would be jealous of. The man is an untalented hack. He's got nothing I would want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
But of course you wouldnt be. But for them to make a movie about it after all these years LOTS of others had to be. In fact that could be said about TPs work as well.......... all of you nay sayers may not like him and/or his work but LOTs of others do which is which his movies sell out everytime. If you dont happen to be in his target audience or just dont like his work dont be a hater just go rent "gone with the wind" or some other movie of your taste and stop watching his work. There you go problem solved.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:11 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i love his movies and plays...but his tv show House of Payne....I really dont like it...ive watched it and just cant grasp the show...it has some really weak comedy...i think tyler couldve done better but i do applaud his efforts.....
House of Payne was set up a little differently than your average comedy sitcom with different storylines and scenarios, so someone who might watch The Game or Everybody Hates Chris or even Meet the Browns might not be a fan of House of Paynes, but someone who can relate to the storyline would love it as I do.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Am I the only person who thinks it's weird for him to be putting out a movie every few months?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
Interesting you should mention Gone With the Wind, I loathe the movie, but apparently Tyler Perry loves it since his movies are full of the same coonery and stereotypes. As for a hater, hmmm, not so much. The term 'hating' implies that Mr. Perry has something that I would be jealous of. The man is an untalented hack. He's got nothing I would want.

He has recognition and as a writer yourself I am sure you want that. Look .................Your opinions are your opinions I really can care less either way. But personally I love a rags to riches story and him being a black man only makes it all the better. If you don't like him then don't follow his work. Its costs you nothing to pay him no mind.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Tyler Perry has recognition for making crap. I don't ever want to be known for making crap, no matter how profitable.

As far as I know this is still America I can talk about Tyler Perry if I'm so inclined. You don't have to follow my posts. It costs you nothing to pay me no mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
He has recognition and as a writer yourself I am sure you want that. Look .................Your opinions are your opinions I really can care less either way. But personally I love a rags to riches story and him being a black man only makes it all the better. If you don't like him then don't follow his work. Its costs you nothing to pay him no mind.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Tyler Perry has recognition for making crap. I don't ever want to be known for making crap, no matter how profitable.

As far as I know this is still America I can talk about Tyler Perry if I'm so inclined. You don't have to follow my posts. It costs you nothing to pay me no mind.
Well I see boths sides.There is a need for writers and directors who do not necessarily have to be black,but the black ones should step out of the predictable one routines.They of all should know what we as African Americans lack on T.V.I see where RosylnH is coming from.Imagine if Tyler Perry' was a white guy.Would people still flock to his movies?What if his audience were predominately white?How would we view that?
I honestly would love to see more epic movies about blacks in main characters like science fiction.If I see one more futuristic movie with at best 1 black person,I will SCREAM.Its like where are the black people in 2085?I'm always wandering WHAT happened?Did the "SPACE KLAN" wipe us out?LOL!!Or how about a historical movie about the little known stuff about famous people from the African diaspora?I would love to see a movie about the life of Alexander Pushkin.Famous Russian laureate and Great Grandson of Peter the Great.Their is so much the world could learn about famous people of African decent.If I ever run into him,I will have a lot to tell him!

So this what I get from RosynH.There is a responsibility to at least be balanced.We know how to make people laugh, but how about making people think too?Think about how we have contributed to society.Think about how much we matter.Black people have used laughter to cope for so many years,so I understand why we have so many black people that do comedy so well.Some of the biggest comics ever are African American.

So yes he is doing what he knows how to do,but we need more from him.If we don't get it,ts not all bad as long as doors once closed are opened to blacks by his efforts.Then from that ,maybe someone will emerge to do what his talent(or lack of) did not manifest through him.The fact is for him to be known at all is recognition.The quality of his recognition is up to him.He will never be Spike Lee at this rate,but what he is at this point;just himself

Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
But wouldnt that be like telling Wes craven to stop making scarry movies? or Telling Adam sandler to play more serious Roles?. I really enjoy every Tyler Perrys movies there is always have a clean message behind his movies, especially this Movie thats out now.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
But wouldnt that be like telling Wes craven to stop making scarry movies? or Telling Adam sandler to play more serious Roles?. I really enjoy every Tyler Perrys movies there is always have a clean message behind his movies, especially this Movie thats out now.
Yeh ,I agree but I think he now has the power to do both.It does not have to be one or the other.You know Adam Sandler has done some serious movies.He has grown.Comedy will always be his thing but now he has the respect of people who now see he can if he chooses to do serious so.If you have a product you give the people what they want.Every one will not like it,but some will.Thing is you can get people who do not normally watch his movies that might go see his serious stuff and after a while might go back and see the familiar stuff.

Oh and good job on you know what!LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta