U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM

129 posts, read 235,356 times

Advertisements

I'm confused. Helen Drive ,according to this map, is in Morningside.

Morningside Map (http://www.arch.gatech.edu/~dapa/reports/atlneighchg/page-Images/f04m.html - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,709,133 times
That is the neighborhood planning unit map and includes the Lenox Park and Johnson Estates subdivisions as all being part of the "Greater Morningside Neighborhood." The official Morningside neighborhood is smaller (and older than either of the other sections).

Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM

145 posts, read 393,907 times
I may have to agree with Mr. Simpson on the map. The Georgia Tech School of Architecture map is the most comprehensive I've come across for mapping Atlanta's neighborhoods. Not even the NPU maps are as competent. Granted some things have changed due to recent annexations and new developments like Atlantic Station, but overall it is the best I've seen.

From what I can tell Morningside-Lenox Park is a single community with a single neighborhood association. Maybe it wasn't always that way.
Morningside Lenox Park Association
Morningside-Lenox Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Johnson Estates appears to be considered part of that neighborhood as well, because residents are members of the Morningside-Lenox Park Association.

I guess it's neither here nor there, because that entire area even into unincorporated Dekalb County is a winner.

So to answer the OP's question, I'd go with the basic ranch in Morningside.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 PM

8,695 posts, read 12,153,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesm View Post
I may have to agree with Mr. Simpson on the map. The Georgia Tech School of Architecture map is the most comprehensive I've come across for mapping Atlanta's neighborhoods. Not even the NPU maps are as competent. Granted some things have changed due to recent annexations and new developments like Atlantic Station, but overall it is the best I've seen.

From what I can tell Morningside-Lenox Park is a single community with a single neighborhood association. Maybe it wasn't always that way.

Johnson Estates appears to be considered part of that neighborhood as well, because residents are members of the Morningside-Lenox Park Association.

I guess it's neither here nor there, because that entire area even into unincorporated Dekalb County is a winner.

From the Morningside-Lenox Park Wikipedia article, I noticed a very nice excerpt and quote:

In the late 1980s, an MLPA committee led by David Robertson undertook a "monumental" project on behalf of their neighborhood. They decided to duplicate the Lenox Park marker at 878 Plymouth Road. Built in the 1920s, it was the only monument that remained intact. The committee raised enough funds to repair six existing markers and build 12 new ones. As the Winter 1989 MLPA Newsletter noted: "The new monuments will help define and unify the Morningside/Lenox Park area and will help focus attention on intown residential living and show our 'pride of place.' A unified look will help keep the freeways out of MLPA and show D.O.T. we are here to stay."

Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 PM

12,826 posts, read 19,306,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesm View Post

Mainly for the purpose of administration by the residents' association, Morningside has indeed absorbed the neighborhoods of Lenox Park, Johnson Estates and the small two-street neighborhood where Helen Dr. is located. There was a time when these would have been considered three separate and distinct neighborhoods, all developed at different times.
The Helen Dr. area is sort of an anomaly...it doesn't really feel like a part of any larger neighborhood because of its isolation, and it was clearly not developed at the same time as adjoining Johnson Estates. It is, in fact, at the juxtaposition of Morningside, Druid Hills, Emory and North Druid Hills. But, like davesm said, it's almost a moot point since the location is such a good one.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 PM

55 posts, read 161,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Simpson View Post
While bungalows are trendy, would you rather own a $400,000 ranch in Morningside or a $400,000 bungalow in East Atlanta?
My vote would be for the bungalow in East Atlanta. Bungalows are so much more aesthetically pleasing with beautiful details (coffered ceilings, wood paneling, built-ins ranging from butler's pantries to book shelves) that you would never get in a ranch. In my opinion ranches lack any sort of aesthetical pleasures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta