U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:49 PM

129 posts, read 231,685 times
Default Westview or Adams Park ?

Recently, I got into an interesting discussion about these two neighborhoods.

What positive and negative attributes would you attach to each ?

Westview has nice housing stock, is close to downtown, and is attracting younger middle class folks.

Inflated housing prices for rehabs ( in some instances ). Petty Crime

Adams Park has very nice housing stock, varied styles of housing, and middle class residents( although, not as many as 15 years ago)
Petty Crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 AM

815 posts, read 1,212,163 times
I like Adams Park better, although I am partial to Adams Park as I played baseball there as a kid (Go Cascade Barons), and I had a lot of friends from school that lived on Delowe and Wilson Mill. But I still like Westview though, I like how the houses look over there compared to Adams Park. I would attribute about the same amount of positives and negatives to each though. Adams Park was and still is pretty nice community, Westview was allot worse but is now getting better little by little. As far as crime they are about the same IMO Adams Park has the apartments on the other side of Campbellton to worry about and Oakland City further down Campbellton, and Westview has Dixie Hills on the other side of MLK to worry about and all of the thru traffic to the West End or I-20 to worry about.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I like Adams Park better, although I am partial to Adams Park as I played baseball there as a kid (Go Cascade Barons), and I had a lot of friends from school that lived on Delowe and Wilson Mill. But I still like Westview though, I like how the houses look over there compared to Adams Park. I would attribute about the same amount of positives and negatives to each though. Adams Park was and still is pretty nice community, Westview was allot worse but is now getting better little by little. As far as crime they are about the same IMO Adams Park has the apartments on the other side of Campbellton to worry about and Oakland City further down Campbellton, and Westview has Dixie Hills on the other side of MLK to worry about and all of the thru traffic to the West End or I-20 to worry about.

Did they stay in the neighborhood ?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 AM

815 posts, read 1,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Simpson View Post
Did they stay in the neighborhood ?
Not allot, I knew a few that stayed either because they never left the nest or because they rented or purchased it from their parents. But most did not stay and moved elsewhere, but allot of their parents still live there. I would say that allot of those houses over and around Adams Park itself and the golf course have been owned by the same people for over 20 years. Most of the people in the neighborhood are 65+.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM

5 posts, read 8,967 times
The two are very different neighborhood and it would depend on your preferences to decide which is "better"
I would not say on is "BETTER" than the other...one may be more suitable to your lifestyle and needs.
Westview is an awesome community. Property values will be higher, neighborhood is closer in-town
Better housing stock with details for those interested in restoring or living in an older home (craftsman bungalows)
More younger- middle class residents keep it balanced and always on the map for city funding, home shows.
ACTIVE residents. Support and love the community- they do not just complain but MAKE a difference. Community events are usually organized and well run. Community parties are always welcomed! Neighbors take turns in having a 'house gathering'
Much to say about this community- all positive. It would be a great place to call home (although I live in Historic West End) .... I am one that did not get to explore this neighborhood before finding my dream house.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Nia,

I noticed you are realtor who lives and works in the SW Atlanta area, so your opinion has extra heft.

As you know, most people don't know the difference between West End and Westview. Plus, West End, for all the negative qualities(real or percieved) , has obvious reasons for appeal.( Architecture, History, Culture, Transit). Its revitalzation has long been predicted,and we
are seeing it happen.

So, how did Westview begin its upward swing? Who started the effort?
10-20 years ago, one could have easily argued Adams Park, Adair Park, and Mozley Park, were more desirable places to live. Now, it appears Westview is moving where those other communties might stagnant or sliding.

Are people interested in West End discovering Westview by accident ?

What have you learned from eastide neighborhoods?

Thanks.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 PM

65 posts, read 113,331 times
Quote:
Nia,

I noticed you are realtor who lives and works in the SW Atlanta area, so your opinion has extra heft.

As you know, most people don't know the difference between West End and Westview. Plus, West End, for all the negative qualities(real or percieved) , has obvious reasons for appeal.( Architecture, History, Culture, Transit). Its revitalzation has long been predicted,and we
are seeing it happen.

So, how did Westview begin its upward swing? Who started the effort?
10-20 years ago, one could have easily argued Adams Park, Adair Park, and Mozley Park, were more desirable places to live. Now, it appears Westview is moving where those other communties might stagnant or sliding.

Are people interested in West End discovering Westview by accident ?

What have you learned from eastide neighborhoods?

Thanks.

have lived in Westview for 3 yrs. Was one of those who discovered it on accident when looking houses in West End. Love the 'hood.
Many neighbors are eastside transplants. They seem to like it.
Not sure how it began its upward swing, most of us newer residents been here < 10 yrs. Many older residents been here since 60's still active, but unfortunately they are passing away.

Last edited by diva05; 09-20-2009 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: correction older residents been here since 60's

Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM

145 posts, read 389,047 times
Comparing Adams Park to Westview is like Apples and Oranges. It's almost like comparing Lake Clair to Edgewood (before the Edgewood Retail District).

By most people's criteria Adams Park is an overall nicer neighborhood. It's a more established middle to upper middle class neighborhood that never went through the level of decline that Westview did. Although it's relatively close to the city it has more of a "no sidewalks-not many for sale signs-inner suburb" feel to it. Plus there is the park which has a Golf Course, Tennis Courts, Pool, and covered pavilions. When people talk about how nice the Cascade corridor is Adams Park is part of that.

In my opinion the nicest parts of Adams Park exceed the nicest parts of Westview. The worst parts of Adams Park are maybe on par or even nicer then the Westview average.

Neither neighborhood is a haven for crime. Both have lower crime then say East Atlanta, but Adams Park crime is primarily along the Campbellton Road corridor. Honestly, I would feel it safer for children to play unsupervised in Adams Park.

Westview does have a lot of good things going for it like the older housing stock, Beltline, and it's closer to a Marta Station and Downtown.

These neighborhoods are just too unalike for a fair comparison. If you had to choose between Westview and Capitol View I'd lean towards Westview, but Adams Park is a different kind of Atlanta neighborhood. It's a multi-generational middle class neighborhood which is a rare thing outside of Buckhead. Adams Park is not a jewel in the rough... It's already a jewel.

Vive La Atlanta!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
986 posts, read 2,612,265 times
Excellent post DaveSM you summarized the situation perfectly.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Recently, I got into an interesting discussion about these two neighborhoods.

What positive and negative attributes would you attach to each ?

Westview has nice housing stock, is close to downtown, and is attracting younger middle class folks.

Inflated housing prices for rehabs ( in some instances ). Petty Crime

Adams Park has very nice housing stock, varied styles of housing, and middle class residents( although, not as many as 15 years ago)
Petty Crime
The communities do have different feels (large lot/ sort of suburban v. smaller lot/urban), but you can compare the two.

Personally, I prefer Adams Park . A friend of mine has fallen in love with Westview. I told her the community is looking better all the time, and long term, Westview could turn out to be a better investment

The fact that alot of Young MJ's childhood friends didn't stay in Adams Park might be a concern. While there are younger middle class residents, the neighborhood doesn't seem nearly as popular with that demo as other neighborhoods. This can be a problem, because there a good number of seniors in Adams Park. It would a shame if it transitioned to what Westview used to be.

Is that assessment off base?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta