U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,738 times
Smile young black female looking to relocate

I am a 22 year old black femal looking to relocate to either north carolina, new york city or atalnta. trying to get as much information as i can to see which city is a better fit for someone my age looking to go back to college and settled down. any iformation would be greatley appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM

188 posts, read 428,725 times
What would you be studying?

Have you applied for any colleges here?

Whats your priority? Education aside, what are the things you are looking for? Like fees, being closer to home, job prospects etc?

You need to provide more details for any of us to help.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:42 PM

97 posts, read 176,806 times
I would move to Atlanta or North Carolina. I don't know what your preferences are, as far as a city are concerned. I'm only assuming that you're looking for a city with lots of entry-level jobs, and a cheaper cost-of-living.

As far as transporation options are concerned, Atlanta's "subway" system (MARTA) seems lacking, and I am very concerned about getting about to and from work minus a car, if anything bad happens to my vehicle. Of course, New York City's subway system is probably the best in the United States (I've never been to NYC, nor have I ever rode on a subway train, so subway riders, fill me in). However, Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world, and it has been for 5-7 years running; you'll never have any issues with flying out of there. Well, perhaps delays. (I had a pretty smooth trip out of there to New Orleans back in 2003, but...lol) So to me that makes the NYC/ATL transportation debate a moot point, I suppose...lol.

Perhaps you'd be better off in North Carolina--in particular, the Triangle and Charlotte areas. They seem to be 1980s versions of Atlanta: young, vibrant cities coming into their own, with an infusion of talented, young adults (20s-30s) and ideas. Both metro areas are roughly the same size (1.5-2 million residents), have cheaper housing than Atlanta--and in the case of NYC, MUCH cheaper housing--and are composed of high numbers of college graduates. Their colleges and universities are excellent as well, although you can't go wrong with any of the cities that you are interested in. I can't tell you what the traffic issues are like, but with the high influx of newcomers, it's probably not too good. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 1,987,784 times
Those are 3 totally different places. What college have you applied to? Why dont you make your decision based on where you get accepted?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM

16,249 posts, read 10,511,582 times
Depends on the lifestyle you want. New York is fast paced and crowded. Atlanta is slower but the traffic here is hell on earth. North Carolina I do not know alot about but it has to be better than South Carolina.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,738 times
i am looking to study social work or human services right now i am still researching differernt colleges in each area im looking for a community college first and then i will transfer so if you have any information for community colleges in north carolina more so in the charlotte area please let me know that goes for atlanta as well . i am also looking to get established there right now i currently work for a utility company in rochester as a customer service rep and i have five years experince in that i have been working customers service since i was 18 for good companies so i have a good background in that field. as far as lifestyle i do like a fast paced lifestyle but i also like to take it slow to so maybe somewhere in the middle....i do want to stay for a while wherever i decide to stay and potentially raise a family with a good education system...hope thats more detailed thanks for the responses so far

Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 AM

927 posts, read 1,031,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendydiva1987 View Post
i am looking to study social work or human services right now i am still researching differernt colleges in each area im looking for a community college first and then i will transfer so if you have any information for community colleges in north carolina more so in the charlotte area please let me know that goes for atlanta as well . i am also looking to get established there right now i currently work for a utility company in rochester as a customer service rep and i have five years experince in that i have been working customers service since i was 18 for good companies so i have a good background in that field. as far as lifestyle i do like a fast paced lifestyle but i also like to take it slow to so maybe somewhere in the middle....i do want to stay for a while wherever i decide to stay and potentially raise a family with a good education system...hope thats more detailed thanks for the responses so far

Georgia Perimeter is a great community college in Atlanta. Also, Atlanta has the best public transportation system in the south.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 AM

9,913 posts, read 13,529,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Depends on the lifestyle you want. New York is fast paced and crowded. Atlanta is slower but the traffic here is hell on earth. North Carolina I do not know alot about but it has to be better than South Carolina.
I still don't understand why people think Atlanta traffic is so bad. I've been down here for a while now (five years in a few days), and I've yet to see any traffic worse than I've encountered before in the Twin Cities or Chicago.

It can be annoying, yes, but it isn't exceptional.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM

876 posts, read 1,116,586 times
New York is great to study social work, and they have a solid community college system and great social work schools that are very affordable (Hunter, Fordham, across the river at Rutgers and Montclair in Jersey). The non-profit/human service community in New York is vast, active, competitve, and virtually unbeatable anywhere in the country.

New York is also great in entertainment value for young people and networking for professionals. As noted, you would do well with their public transpo system. Again, nowhere can beat New York in any of these areas in the US.

As far as your residence, however, community colleges don't generally cover things like housing and you may not want to take out the loans necessary to afford a place while you're in school. Social work school often requires field work AND studies, so you would have little time to work part-time. Unless you know someone who can hook you up with a place or have a lot of scholarship or loan money coming in, living up there can be very challenging. I had all three and it was still tough on the pocketbook compared to my living in Atlanta. For some, the pace of New York is unbearable..there really is no city like it. For others it's amazing. I had days when I felt both.

For something less intense and more affordable, but still giving you good professional and educational opportunities, I would consider community colleges in Atlanta. After your two years, you can earn residence and do in-state tuition at GA State or transfer to an AUC school. I know GSU is solid in social work, don't know about the social work programs, if any, at the AUC. I also like Atlanta for it's network of black professionals, which can be vital in getting mentors and advancing your career. The weather is great and looads of young folks. Only thing is that it's not nearly as vibrant as New York (but that's kinda like saying a 350 degree oven isn't as hot as the sun, ain't but so much heat you need sometimes :-), the nightlife is spread out so having a car is basically a necessity if you want to live affordably in the metro area, and things really aren't very walkable outside the City of Atlanta.

I really don't think you can go wrong in either city. Like another poster said, the focus should be on getting accepted into the best academic program possible, then the financial aid, and then miscellaneous factors. I think both offer tremendous experiences for young professionals, and you can network and have a great time in either city, but work first on actually getting into a great school.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:39 PM

43 posts, read 93,525 times
I agree with KevK. Charlotte, NC is up and coming It's a more slow and relaxed lifestyle... I wanted to relocate there, but a job came quicker in Des Moines.

As far as college.. I would say Atlanta... If you want an HBCU than you have Spellman, Clark Atlanta... or the other universities Georgia Tech and Georgia State University... and then the technical schools. Depending on what you are seeking education wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta