U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 PM

81 posts, read 151,925 times

Advertisements

My daughter just got job offer in gainesville....she's right out of college and wanted me to help her check it out. we live in a "burb" outside of a city with a very high murder rate and alot of "isolated" crime...so we are kinda used to "looking" over our shoulders. But she will be on her own with no family/friends in area....i'm looking for advice from parents or other young people who live in the area on 1)where to live 2)social things/places for young professionals 3)religious tolerance of area

any help would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 AM

988 posts, read 1,150,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevio63 View Post
My daughter just got job offer in gainesville....she's right out of college and wanted me to help her check it out. we live in a "burb" outside of a city with a very high murder rate and alot of "isolated" crime...so we are kinda used to "looking" over our shoulders. But she will be on her own with no family/friends in area....i'm looking for advice from parents or other young people who live in the area on 1)where to live 2)social things/places for young professionals 3)religious tolerance of area

any help would be appreciated!!

This link maybe helpful to you and your daughter: http://www.city-data.com/city/Gainesville-Georgia.html.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:17 PM

152 posts, read 295,723 times
You might get some more response on the GA board, but here's my $.02.

First, I would not recommend actually living in Gainesville. I imagine some people can give you more specifics about where the good parts are, but I would look elsewhere. Gainesville is known for chicken plants and illegals. Atlanta to Gainesville (and then on north) has become a hub for Mexican drug trade. As a result, you'll fine high crime, gangs, bad schools, etc.

The areas I would recommend are Buford, Flowery Branch or Cumming- which are South of Gainesville and closer to ATL. But they are still pretty far out and are more family oriented suburbs than places for yp's looking for nightlife. If it was me, personally, I'd live in Dahlonega or some town in the mountains. Dahlonega is a great old town, actually a college town, and while its not Athens there is some stuff for singles/ younger crowd.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM

289 posts, read 167,004 times
I have read in previous posts that there is a good area and a bad area in gainsville.

My father lived on the lake off of browns bridge road in gainesville and it seemed like a decent area.

I would search the posts for "gainesville" as there is lots of info.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,548,900 times
I would actually recommend Buford for someone a bit younger. There is a great little downtown with shops, restaurants, and even nightlife! I go out there sometimes with friends that live up there. Really great area.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:08 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,554,502 times
The closer to the lake, the better, if you want to buy

Funny brett should mention flowery.. that area is keeping hall county courts busy with domestics and child abuse year round. It is entirely family oriented with SFH and family mindset. Same for buford. I assume she will be renting so she will probably go insane in these places. They are nice but only if you are looking at settling down, in your own home. If she wants to buy a house, yep, go buford.

In gainesville there are no bad parts to rent per say, as far as major/chain apartments go. They are all pretty much on the outskirts of town so you avoid the industrial decay and "rough areas" (which are not dangerous, just unplesant), yet you are close to everything. Gainesville has grown in recent times and they now have all stores and restaurants that mall of ga has. Before you had to drive there, now, you don't have to.

so to keep things simple

1. major rental units. typically location wise you can't go wrong, just a matter of selecting a good community
2. pretty much limited to the bars/restaurants and gainsville college (yes really).
3. religious tolerance on what? it is predominantly (well mostly, well really 95%) christian with some rural influences on god and country area. you will get asked where you go to church at some point but you won't be outcast if you don't provide a full religious resume. other than that, be more specific perhaps. are you talking about specific faiths or denominations or none at all.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 AM

81 posts, read 151,925 times
Default thanks atlanta posters!

thank you all who responded with info/opinions....daughter still looking and has decided to wait a little longer to make this decision...i appreciate the responses and may be back later in the school year (when she actually graduates) to hit you with more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta