Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I'm not looking for party spots. LOL I'm a mom of 2 kids aged 3 and 6.
We like to go out as a family for dinner on the weekends, etc. We love convenience and lots of recreation for the kids from parks to sports. I don't want to have to drive 20 min away for this.
AJ1972, Atlanta suburbs are very sprawling. The amenities are here, but they're spread out. I think it's not realistic to expect to be less than 20 minutes from all the shopping, dining, recreation and services that you'd likely want to use, seeing as you say you want "lots" of these things.

I'm puzzled as to what kind of community you're comparing with, to be honest. I've lived in large cities (lots to do, but it's not all concentrated within 20 minutes of any one residential area) and small towns (everything's within 20 minutes, but it's not exactly a "lot"). Have I somehow missed out on an unsuspected world of "everything at your doorstep"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 04:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
Wow.
What I actually meant, was that I would like to live in a town that has a bit of everything. So I don't "have" to go to the next town. Or does this go the same even within the same town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
There are many of us in all parts of metro Atlanta that spend 20 minutes going anywhere. I actually live less than a mile from grocery store/fast food but because traffic can be stop and go at any time during the day due to accidents on the interstate or changes in weather---it might make my 5 minute trip more like 30 minutes.

It might be better elsewhere--but that is a consideration that goes with living in/near Atlanta.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:25 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Wow.
What I actually meant, was that I would like to live in a town that has a bit of everything. So I don't "have" to go to the next town. Or does this go the same even within the same town?
The actual "town" of Cumming is fairly small. Most of the area called "Cumming" is really unincorporated Forsyth county, and actually most of the county has a Cumming mailing address. Unlike places up north, the Atlanta suburbs are not generally made up of city after city right next to each other (with the exception of North Fulton County which has many newly incorporated areas). There are very few self contained "towns."

Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Wow.
The post after this one explains the lay of the land as well as anyone could.

When you visit you will have a clearer idea.

For instance, if you drive north on Peachtree Industrial Blvd you will pass the the town of Norcross and there are a few shops and restaurants there, it has a historic train depot/now a restaurant. Then you will see signs for 'Duluth' maybe 5-10 miles before you reach the center of town which is much like Norcross, a little bigger. Then if you drive on--there will be signs for 'Buford', similar to Norcross and Duluth.

If you turn on Pleasant Hill Rd/Duluth, nowhere near the center of town, you will find a Walmart/maybe a super Walmart, many strip malls, fast food and they are redeveloping what was once Gwinnett Mall. Throughout Gwinnett/Forsyth county you will find areas like this. Somehow people seem to shop without many problems. Until the recession Gwinnett was known as an area too prone to approve new developments, commercial and residential.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM

Awesome!
I can't wait to see it in person so I can get an idea!

Quote:

For instance, if you drive north on Peachtree Industrial Blvd you will pass the the town of Norcross and there are a few shops and restaurants there, it has a historic train depot/now a restaurant. Then you will see signs for 'Duluth' maybe 5-10 miles before you reach the center of town which is much like Norcross, a little bigger. Then if you drive on--there will be signs for 'Buford', similar to Norcross and Duluth.

If you turn on Pleasant Hill Rd/Duluth, nowhere near the center of town, you will find a Walmart/maybe a super Walmart, many strip malls, fast food and they are redeveloping what was once Gwinnett Mall. Throughout Gwinnett/Forsyth county you will find areas like this. Somehow people seem to shop without many problems. Until the recession Gwinnett was known as an area too prone to approve new developments, commercial and residential.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Maybe you missed my reply earlier but this is all in cumming (see below). You will not need to drive unless you want to go to the city for something. Stay to the East of 400 around 20 or 141 and you won't have a problem. Stay to the West and you might have a little bit more of a drive but not much. I just moved here and am amazed that I just have do drive around the corner for things. I used to put 20K miles a year on my car running around in Raleigh and now I've only put 10K a year since moving here.

P.S. this afternoon I went to 400/20 in Cumming today. Hit BJ's, Party City and Walmart just to give you an idea. Much more if I had time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Bill is right. I live in Alpharetta near cumming so I agree w/ what he says. There is a hospital on 400 at 20. There is also plenty of restaurants, shopping and movies there. BJs, Walmart, Dicks, Kohls, Home Depot, Lowes and the list goes on and on. Restaurants as well as fast food too. This is all at 400/20.

At 400 and 141 (the Avenue Forsyth) The Avenue > Home. There is another theatre, Barnes and Noble, and all of your mall stores (not big box) in a walkable outdoor setting plus more restaurants.

Also, you are half way between NorthPoint Mall in Alpharetta and the North Georgia Premium Outlets in Dawsonville. They were putting a brand new mall in Cumming too. Haven't heard about it in a while and don't know the status given the economy.

As you can see, there is plenty for everyday needs. Can't give recommendations on subdivisions since we don't have a price range. I think the only negative about Cumming is that is one of the furthest burbs from Atlanta. How often do you need to go into the city?

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:34 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Alpharetta or Perimeter Nicer Area than Gwinnet

Quote:

Much of Gwinnet has gone downhill a lot recently. I would suggest shopping/dining in Alpharetta/Roswell (exits 8-12) or the Perimeter area (exit 5), both off GA 400. Nicer, safer areas. The Perimeter Mall has many fine stores and exit 9 has the Northpoint Mall.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, you ARE talking about what is one of the outer suburban areas of metro Atlanta. It's not Manhattan.

Like many suburban areas here, it has a fair number (and growing) of "cookie cutter" shopping centers with chain stores/restaurants. You're not too far of a drive from a couple of malls on the north end. Lake Lanier isn't THAT far of a drive. Within reason you have stuff like the North Georgia Premium outlet mall, and some North Georgia towns like Dahlonega and Helen that have local arts and crafts, etc. If you're looking for trendy night clubs and discos with glitter balls - no, not the place.

I thought Moderator Bob lives up near there (?). He'll know where the party spots are I bet (or...not. lol ).
North Point Mall, the Mall of Georgia, and the North Georgia Premium Outlets are all within a short drive.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Would anyone care to tell me the names of the popular subdivisions in Cumming? OUr price range is 180k-220k.
Are there certain ones that I should stay away from?

We have leveled it down to being interested in Cumming, Buford, and Dacula.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:36 PM

83 posts, read 311,235 times
There is a sub division on Piney grove rd (name escapes my memory for now Brookpoint or Stoney Point), which could be in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta