U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,181,430 times

Advertisements

As 2009 winds down, we are starting to see some of the proposals come out from the already declared candidates. From the usual faire of lower taxes and NIMBYism, a new idea has been splattered upon the ground by one John Oxendine Georgia Issues (http://www.johnoxendine.com/issues.html - broken link).

In support of his "transportation" proposal, he has released on his website a 7 minute video detailing how his plan will revolve around.........wait for it.....more roads!

This should surprise no one as the GDOT is sure to have its coffers filled by whom ever becomes the next governor. Oxendine does not disappoint in fulfilling this as he is proposing:

-A new interstate starting where I-75 meets the Tennessee border and south through Rome, Carrollton, Newnan, and reconnect with I-16 and I-75 at Macon to bypass Atlanta completely.
-A new east-west interstate through south central georgia, again connecting through Macon (hmmm, I see a pattern here) connecting Columbus-Macon-Augusta
-A NEW NORTHERN ARC (/sarcastic tone off) connecting I-85 and I-75 above Lake Lanier

As dumb as all of the above ideas are, they P A L E in comparison to the fourth proposal.

-A parallel Downtown Connector

No, I'm not joking. Oxendine is actually proposing building a brand new Downtown Connector starting from the GA-400/I-85 convergence that would travel southeast through the city and end at I-285 somewhere south of Eastlake.

If you now thinking "Hey, a lot of people live in the path of this proposed highway" you'd be right. Large sections of the following neighborhoods would have to be raised:

Druid Hills
Midtown
Virginia Highlands
Inman Park
Candler Park
The Old Fourth Ward
Edgewood
East Atlanta
East Lake

An estimate on the amount of people that would be displaced published by the AJC (I'll have to find the article online) is around 10,000. The amount of people living directly in the path of this road is from 150,000 to 200,000.

Just don't take my word for it. The link for Oxendine's video is below and the "fun" about the Downtown Connector Part Deux begins around 4:50 marker:
Oxendine's Transportation Solution on Vimeo

Now, let's talk realistically for a moment. If elected, Oxendine probably would not be able to implement this "plan". The cost of the Super Downtown Connector II alone would be about $15 billion. Even if the state was able to gain the right of way via imminent domain, the AJC stated in it's article that the money needed to build it equals the same amount of total money collected from the state gas tax for the last 15 years. The ARC would not support it nor the city leadership whomever becomes mayor. Even if they went looking for private funding, the recession has killed that for several years.

The real problem here is that we have a frontrunner for the office of Governor only proposing more and bigger roads, no rail, and seemingly wanting to cut off Atlanta from one of it's economic engines.

As Atlantans we cannot stand for this. Forget for a moment that you are a Democrat or a Republican. Forget for a moment that some harebrained good 'ol boy wants to bulldoze large swaths of the city. Our main concern should be that there is a person running for Governor who has no interest in solving our biggest problem in this City.

Get active and support another candidate that supports commuter and mass transit. Let your current state representatives know that you expect them to fight every part of this plan.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:20 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,303,223 times
Yeh right!!Druid Hills?LOL.Those people will go POSTAL on his a**!!He's is such an idiot!!Idiot number 2 with Perdue at 1.I just hope Roy is successful.We NEED him.We have NO progressive people in outr highest levels of state government.Cannot believe in 2000 damn 10 almost,that we have a person serious about building another freakin' interstate through DOWNTOWN ATLANTA!!Just stupidity at its height!!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,251,307 times
Oxendine is known to be an über-conservative which in some areas of the State might help him, but he isn't without his own controversies that the media will remind people of once the race gets more heated. He was told not to spend money on a new vehicle due to budget reasons a while back yet ignored it and bought a tricked-out "Crown" anyway, and he was also caught using a magnetic emergency light issued to him to bypass traffic and go through lights a while back, too. I doubt once the media replays those stories to the entire State, many would trust him enough to elect him (though bigger surprises have happened).

Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,164,199 times
I agree with Greg, the guy is a real boob. The media will be all over him as the race heats up.

As far as this idiotic plan for Connector II, afonega1 is correct - but more than just Druid Hills will go postal. ALL of the intown neighborhoods will, and this time around they are uber organized, very well connected and rich enough to fight this for YEARS.

The little grannies that chained themselves to the trees in front of the bulldozers in what we now know as Freedom Park have been replaced. Their replacements will not stand for this, and it would be an all-out war that the Ox would lose, badly. God help us all if this tool should somehow win next year. If you think things are bad now in Atlanta-State of Georgia relations, we ain't seen nothing yet folks.

Come home Roy. We need you.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,303,223 times
Yes I remember that.Its not as much as he is a conservative but also he just seems does not seem that credible.He gives me the feeling that he is just in for power.I think he has done a decent job as insurance commissioner but then again,I only follow that in passing.This state needs to be doing more than at BEST, standing still.His thinking about this subject is just proof of the direction we will go if he is elected.He's not fooling me either with this little feud with Kasim Reed.He's trying to stir up that anti-Atlanta stuff so he can propel himself in the rest of Georgia.Don't be surprised if we see a repeat of when Mitch Skadilakis was running for Lt.Governor years ago.Pittiful.Just pittiful.

JOHNATL;I just saw what you wrote about the "Atlanta-State of GA" comment!!As ususal we are on the same page!!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 PM

165 posts, read 432,157 times
I can't believe we're still talking about building interstates in metro Atlanta. The only major transportation i support is high speed rail to connect some of these areas, the Beltline, and expanding Marta to become a real subway system.

If some of these interstate projects were to pass, i think i'll probably just give up with this city.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 PM

804 posts, read 1,747,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
I can't believe we're still talking about building interstates in metro Atlanta. The only major transportation i support is high speed rail to connect some of these areas, the Beltline, and expanding Marta to become a real subway system.

If some of these interstate projects were to pass, i think i'll probably just give up with this city.

I with you I have almost given up on this city and if another interstate get built here I will leave and never come back

Old 09-17-2009, 02:02 PM

620 posts, read 1,921,808 times
It's not the city, it's the state of Georgia and some of the suburban counties around Atlanta who refuse to support transit. The city of Atlanta can only do so much without the support of the region and the state...

Old 09-17-2009, 02:11 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,082,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The media will be all over him as the race heats up.
The Atlanta media will be all over him, which will probably turn out to be a significant plus in the eyes of his base. The rest of the state seems to get great pleasure from watching the capital city pay (and in this case, suffer) for things which mostly benefit podunk.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:18 PM

823 posts, read 1,992,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The Atlanta media will be all over him, which will probably turn out to be a significant plus in the eyes of his base. The rest of the state seems to get great pleasure from watching the capital city pay (and in this case, suffer) for things which mostly benefit podunk.
Exactly!

This is a no-lose situation for him. He is in a highly competitive primary. I am sure there are folks in the northern suburbs who think this is a good idea and it gets them on board. For the rest of the state it shows off his anti-Atlanta creds which a Republican needs to win statewide. The only people this alienates are in town and they weren't voting for him anyway so why should he care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or