U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 PM

8,040 posts, read 7,144,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Ummmmmm, boston and raleigh have high tech COMPANIES. Atlanta has a lot of colleges, but "college research" hate to break it to you dear, has little to no real world tangible benefit.
I don't think you know exactly what you are talking about.College reserach is the same in Boston and R-D.College research is driven by industry.Industry provides the money and resources along with those matched with government resources at the federal level.Georgia Tech,Emory and Georgia State are huge incubators for research.Companies like Scientific-Atlanta,Earthlink, Ebix Inc and Transcend Services Inc to name just a few companies headquartered her that have benefited greatly from all the research.Some even founded by Tech graduates.The benefit is enormous!!
Nanotechnology,Computer Science,Biomedicine are some of the major disciplines and degrees involved in high tech research.

Why do you think so many companies have moved here?I hate to break it to YOU but Atlanta IS a high tech center.Maybe YOU do not know it?
It may not be Boston of course but it most assuredly is equal or better than Research Triangle.

NORTH AMERICA’S HIGH TECH ECONOMY: THE GEOGRAPHY OF KNOWLEDGE-BASED INDUSTRIES
1.Silicon Valley (the San Jose–Sunnyvale–Santa Clara, California metro area)
2.Seattle-Bellevue-Everett
3.The Massachusetts metro combining Cambridge,Newton and Framingham
4.Washington-Arlington-Alexandria
5. Los Angeles–Long Beach–Glendale
6.Dallas-Plano-Irving, Texas
7. San Diego–Carlsbad–San Marcos
8.Santa Ana–Anaheim-Irvine (Orange County)
9.New York–White Plains–Wayne
10.San Francisco–San Mateo–Redwood City
11.Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
12.Atlanta–Sandy Springs–Marietta
13.Edison, New Jersey
14.Chicago, Illinois
15.Toronto

-Milken Institute

Last edited by afonega1; 09-17-2009 at 10:28 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Other than a few colleges in the area, Atlanta has very little in common with the City of Boston or the surrounding area like Waltham, Burlington, Cambridge, and other biotech and high tech areas.

Years ago, Atlanta had much more of a high tech presence and had a reputation among high tech companies and workers. Hayes modems started in Norcross and the area around JCB, Oakbrook Pkwy, and P'Tree Corners were hotbeds of technology in the 1980s and early 1990s. Although Alpharetta and parts of Peachtree Corners still have a lot of high tech, it's not quite the same as it used to be.
Like I said before its not that Atlanta is what Boston is.It's that it represents in some form what Boston is to the nation but in the South.What other city in the South can claim those numbers?Of course the only one close that comes to mind is Raleigh-Durham.Yes even though many of those companies in those areas are no longer present or have been aquired,they still had the colleges and universities to provide a skilled workforce then as well as today.Now its just more spread out within the entire metro.

Last edited by afonega1; 09-17-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I forgot how I came across this a while ago but apparently Atlanta ranks as a major center for "HIGHER EDUCATION" in America.#7 in total enrollment and in total degrees awarded.#5th in "Research Expenditures" ahead of Raleigh-Durham.Yet people will tell you without thinking(or knowing) Raleigh-Durham area is bigger.Why when in almost every category ,Atlanta beats the Research Triangle by a wide margin?

Does any of this news surprise anyone?I already knew because I grew up with 2 parents as educators.Do any of you think Atlanta should market the area as the Research Triangle does or as the "Boston of the South"?
HOLD UP!!!I forgot to add the link that list all the stats.Its very fascinating.
ARCHE Report: Higher Education in America’s Metropolitan Areas
Review and then comment please.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:47 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,197,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
afonega,

When I visited Nashville some years back..they were saying they are called the Athens of the South....
Just because of that Parthenon replica.

Nashville.gov - Parks and Recreation, Parthenon

Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 AM

3,353 posts, read 3,931,787 times
Atlanta was not, is not, and will NEVER be the "Boston of the South". Take that as a positive or a negative, whichever you choose.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Atlanta was not, is not, and will NEVER be the "Boston of the South". Take that as a positive or a negative, whichever you choose.
Quote:
Do any of you think Atlanta should market the area as the Research Triangle does or as the "Boston of the South"?

The question asked on HOW it should MARKET the area such as those areas market themselves.NOT LITERALLY.I hope Atlanta WILL NEVER become Boston either.(at least just some of it economic components)

Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM

8,190 posts, read 6,213,442 times
Quote:
I forgot how I came across this a while ago but apparently Atlanta ranks as a major center for "HIGHER EDUCATION" in America.#7 in total enrollment and in total degrees awarded.#5th in "Research Expenditures" ahead of Raleigh-Durham.Yet people will tell you without thinking(or knowing) Raleigh-Durham area is bigger.Why when in almost every category ,Atlanta beats the Research Triangle by a wide margin?
This is because relative to the population as a whole, the Triangle packs a bigger punch. They have also done a better job into translating that research into jobs via RTP, if not in raw numbers then definitely proportionate to the local economy. Higher education/research/high-tech is what put the Triangle on the map and is essentially the region's bread and butter. In contrast, Atlanta's local economy is much more diverse. But I see no reason why Atlanta couldn't do more to capitalize on its status as a center for higher education as other metros like Boston and Raleigh-Durham have done.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This is because relative to the population as a whole, the Triangle packs a bigger punch. They have also done a better job into translating that research into jobs via RTP, if not in raw numbers then definitely proportionate to the local economy. Higher education/research/high-tech is what put the Triangle on the map and is essentially the region's bread and butter. In contrast, Atlanta's local economy is much more diverse. But I see no reason why Atlanta couldn't do more to capitalize on its status as a center for higher education as other metros like Boston and Raleigh-Durham have done.
Only part of that I'm not sure I agree with.I think the impact is greater because the economy is not a diversified in R-D,but I suppose if you were to look at the numbers of jobs created by the same types of research in Atlanta it would at least be the same if not greater.I only have some of the info to support this so it is only an educated guess.

Are you saying because the area(R-D) has such a high percentage of people affiliated with the schools?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:32 PM

62 posts, read 96,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I was about to say the same thing. Raleigh-Durham may have fewer colleges and expenditures on research than Atlanta. But that is because Atlanta is like 4 times bigger than the entire Triangle metro. I can pretty much guarantee you that on a per-capita level, the Triangle is most like Boston in regards to higher education and research. The Raleigh-Durham area is all about education, medicine and research. It's a huge part of the culture and economy there, and you feel it in it's atmosphere.
And as far as urban layout, density and history goes, Charleston SC takes the cake for "Boston of the South".
I think of Atlanta more as the "Chicago of the South".

Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,213,442 times
Quote:
Only part of that I'm not sure I agree with.I think the impact is greater because the economy is not a diversified in R-D,but I suppose if you were to look at the numbers of jobs created by the same types of research in Atlanta it would at least be the same if not greater.I only have some of the info to support this so it is only an educated guess.

Are you saying because the area(R-D) has such a high percentage of people affiliated with the schools?
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta