U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 3,307 times
Default Looking for some sound advice

My family and I are thinking of relocating to ATL from AZ. We are young (late 20's - mid 30's) with two small kids (2 & 3 yrs old). We are looking for a nice area to live and raise our family. The most important things we are looking for are:

1. Nice, safe family-friendly neighborhood
2. Excellent school system
3. Reasonable home prices (new build under $300K)

I've been looking at East Marietta, Kennesaw, Duluth, Alpharetta, and Woodstock. Everyone that I talk to tells me that the commute is terrible if you live anywhere OTP, so I'm expecting a commute, but I don't want TOO crazy of a drive (under an hour preferably). I will most likely be working in Atlanta (zip 30326).

Also, I've found some nice looking houses with Atlanta addresses, but I don't know if they're actually in nice areas. The zip codes are 30331, 30354, 30311.

Because I know that there are good and bad areas within the same city, I would appreciate it if you can give me specific zip codes that I can check out.

Your thorough, sound advice is much needed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 PM

9,112 posts, read 20,442,874 times
Alpharetta might be your best bet so long as you don't mind the commute being closer to your limit (maybe 45 minutes). Alpharetta is one of the nicer suburban areas that has a good location that gives you access to the City, while also giving you access to the North Georgia mountain region north of it which has outlet malls, and small arts/crafts towns like Dahlonega.

GA400 is the one road that going South will take you directly into the Buckhead area, and going North on it will take you directly to the North GA. mountain areas. Plus Alpharetta itself has lower crime than most other areas, it's own shopping district and mall, etc. GA400 is unfortunately one of the more congested roads during rush hours, but at least it's a straight shot into and out of the City. Plus if you ever wanted to go downtown for touristy stuff, you can park your car at one of the Northern most MARTA rail stations outside of the Perimeter and catch the train into town (it unfortunately does not go to Alpharetta though, aside from bus service).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta