U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:48 PM

511 posts, read 774,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
In terms of huge metros, 600,000 isn't really that much.

Also remember, the Dallas metroplex also includes Fort Worth.
This is very true. I agree that Dallas is bigger, but you can't tell by visiting there. They feel the same size. Adding in Fort Worth does make it feel a lot more spread out. Once you get over 5 million people, 600,000 doesn't make much difference in the feel of the city size.

As far as the people, It seemed that the people in Dallas was a little more laid back. For both places, it really depends on what side of town your on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM

587 posts, read 1,009,520 times
ATLHRLGUY - I live in Dallas and Atlanta may be in the cards for us. One of my least favorite things about Dallas is the relative lack of outdoor opportunities - far from both the beach and mountains. I am interested in hearing about what outdoor activities are available around Atlanta. Thanks so much!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,501 times
I would consider the climate. City-Data can give you the information. I think that Atlanta is more humid.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM

688 posts, read 1,130,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
ATLHRLGUY - I live in Dallas and Atlanta may be in the cards for us. One of my least favorite things about Dallas is the relative lack of outdoor opportunities - far from both the beach and mountains. I am interested in hearing about what outdoor activities are available around Atlanta. Thanks so much!

That's one thing that I was pleasantly surprised about Atlanta, there is so much to do in the city and around the region. In Dallas, there are a lot of parks but no destination parks. If you're thinking of moving or just visiting, check out Piedmont Park, (mini Central Park) Chastain Park(my fav) Silver Comet Trail (think white rock lake bike trail, or Katy Trail) Stone Mountain Park, TONS AND TONS of tennis courts, you can hike walk bike or float along the Chattahoochee River Trails. And of course the beach is only 4 or so hours away, Hilton Head, Savannah region, georgia sea islands, and if you want a little taste of home there's lake lanier, (think lake lewisville) hope this helps.
helpful links:
Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)
PATH Foundation
Untitled Document
Stone Mountain Park: Georgia theme park and camping in Atlanta
Home - Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805859/k.BFA3/Home.htm - broken link)
City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/parks/burrec_directorytennisctr.aspx - broken link)

Old 09-24-2009, 01:05 PM

10,263 posts, read 11,034,825 times
Going back to different types of people in the DFW Metroplex and Metro Atlanta, some numbers might help:

Here are the numbers for international residents residing in each area as of 2005:

Atlanta:
http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Atlanta2005.htm

Dallas:
http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Dallas2005.htm

The black population of Metro Atlanta is 1,687,773 or 32% of the population.

The black population of DFW is 878,985 or 14% of the population.

The Latino population in DFW is projected at 2,000,000 for 2009 which is 30% of the population.

The Latino population in Atlanta is projected at 580,000 for 2008 which is about 10% of the total population.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 PM

206 posts, read 622,163 times
Thanks a lot.

I wonder, for the native white population, is there still differences in terms of the old sayings the "Texas Cowboys" versus the "Southern Gentlemen"? Any subtle traditional differences?

I don't know what are the respective stereotypes for the women.

Also which city is more religiously modern or progressive? (in terms of non-dogmatic and open-minded spirituality).

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM

688 posts, read 1,130,580 times
As far as religion is concerned I would say Dallas is a bit more progressive. Atlanta is in the south, the deep south and there still is that perception of it being heavily religious city and area. The christian dogma is king in Atlanta, as anyone will tell you, it's hard getting through Jesus Corner on a Sunday afternoon. There's also great diversity within the religious community in Atlanta. Atlanta like Dallas, is an international city so there are a lot of cultures and religious beliefs represented in both cities. But the general "perception" would be that Dallas is a bit more progressive.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:16 PM

313 posts, read 851,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post

I don't know what are the respective stereotypes for the women.

you mean a sterotype like "Texas...where the men are men and the women are too!"...that type sterotype?

Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 10,910 times
I have never been to Dallas but I have been living in Atlanta for 4 years. Atlanta is an unusual place where it is very hard to meet a native Georgian or southerner. Everyone of my neighbors are from every where but Georgia. Atlanta does not seem southern to me. The only Southern traditions I have noticed is that everyone goes to church and football games are very important.

Good luck finding a good city to move to.
I have not figured Atlanta out yet. But so far my experience is that they don't like new comers. Atlanta is a very unfriendly city. My experience living in NYC proved to be friendlier than Atlanta.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:52 PM

6,555 posts, read 6,872,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Peace View Post
I have never been to Dallas but I have been living in Atlanta for 4 years. Atlanta is an unusual place where it is very hard to meet a native Georgian or southerner. Everyone of my neighbors are from every where but Georgia. Atlanta does not seem southern to me. The only Southern traditions I have noticed is that everyone goes to church and football games are very important.

Good luck finding a good city to move to.
I have not figured Atlanta out yet. But so far my experience is that they don't like new comers. Atlanta is a very unfriendly city. My experience living in NYC proved to be friendlier than Atlanta.
What part of Atlanta do you live? Doesn't sound like my town, aside from the not meeting a lot of southerners part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta