U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-25-2009, 05:57 PM

6,240 posts, read 5,802,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Going back to different types of people in the DFW Metroplex and Metro Atlanta, some numbers might help:

Here are the numbers for international residents residing in each area as of 2005:

Atlanta:
http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Atlanta2005.htm

Dallas:
http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Dallas2005.htm

The black population of Metro Atlanta is 1,687,773 or 32% of the population.

The black population of DFW is 878,985 or 14% of the population.

The Latino population in DFW is projected at 2,000,000 for 2009 which is 30% of the population.

The Latino population in Atlanta is projected at 580,000 for 2008 which is about 10% of the total population.
I wouldn't trust any of those numbers. I've never been to dallas before, but I'm willing to be that doesn't tell the whole story.

The same goes for Atlanta. People think Atlanta is homogenous, but nothing is further from the truth. Plus I know there are WAY more than 25,000 Koreans in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-25-2009, 06:16 PM

9,637 posts, read 9,003,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I wouldn't trust any of those numbers. I've never been to dallas before, but I'm willing to be that doesn't tell the whole story.

The same goes for Atlanta. People think Atlanta is homogenous, but nothing is further from the truth. Plus I know there are WAY more than 25,000 Koreans in Atlanta.
Well those numbers are true whether you think so or not.

The links are "foreign born" residents and yes they are accurate to a margin of error of about 500-1,000.

I think it does make a good point. Ive always said that Alanta and Dallas are more alike than any others in the US. Ive also always said that African Americans are to Atlanta what Latinos are to Dallas. And these numbers prove it. 1/3 of Metro Atlantas population is Black and 1/3 of DFW's population is Latino.

Reguarding the Koreans, both cities seem to be the "cities de' jour" for Koreans. Both have added about 7,000 foreign born Koreans since 2000. Thats ALOT for a city that isnt LA, NYC, Chicago, or Philly (the traditional Korean favorites).

Unread 09-25-2009, 10:29 PM

6,240 posts, read 5,802,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Well those numbers are true whether you think so or not.

The links are "foreign born" residents and yes they are accurate to a margin of error of about 500-1,000.

I think it does make a good point. Ive always said that Alanta and Dallas are more alike than any others in the US. Ive also always said that African Americans are to Atlanta what Latinos are to Dallas. And these numbers prove it. 1/3 of Metro Atlantas population is Black and 1/3 of DFW's population is Latino.

Reguarding the Koreans, both cities seem to be the "cities de' jour" for Koreans. Both have added about 7,000 foreign born Koreans since 2000. Thats ALOT for a city that isnt LA, NYC, Chicago, or Philly (the traditional Korean favorites).
Ok, yeah, but numbers from 4 years ago are pretty irrelevant for both Dallas and Atlanta. In that time, about 200,000 to 300,000 people have to moved to each metro. In Atlanta that swing has been made up mostly of Korean and African-American transplants.

On a side note, I don't understand this artificial importance of a foreign born population. Yes diversity is great, and with new immigrants they bring their own flavor to a city, but the vast majority of immigrants from another country to America try to assimilate as much as they can.

If you haven't lived in Atlanta on a daily basis it's hard to understand how we do things here. This city after Jim Crow has avoided any type of development geared to an ethnic group. We don't have a chinatown or a little korea or italy, instead we have Buford Highway (it's really an avenue) where all kinds of different foreign ethnicities congregate. On the stretch of Buford from the city of Atlanta to Duluth you will be less likely to hear english spoken, see a mexican store next to a vietnamese store next to a halal butcher, next to a korean store, next to whatever you can imagine.

On top of that the latest craze in the city is to eat Dim Sum or Tapas or Korean BBQ. Instead of separating it from the larger culture, we integrate it. In Atlanta we're not so keen on singling people out...even if it's in a "positive" way.

Unread 09-26-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ok, yeah, but numbers from 4 years ago are pretty irrelevant for both Dallas and Atlanta. In that time, about 200,000 to 300,000 people have to moved to each metro. In Atlanta that swing has been made up mostly of Korean and African-American transplants.

On a side note, I don't understand this artificial importance of a foreign born population. Yes diversity is great, and with new immigrants they bring their own flavor to a city, but the vast majority of immigrants from another country to America try to assimilate as much as they can.

If you haven't lived in Atlanta on a daily basis it's hard to understand how we do things here. This city after Jim Crow has avoided any type of development geared to an ethnic group. We don't have a chinatown or a little korea or italy, instead we have Buford Highway (it's really an avenue) where all kinds of different foreign ethnicities congregate. On the stretch of Buford from the city of Atlanta to Duluth you will be less likely to hear english spoken, see a mexican store next to a vietnamese store next to a halal butcher, next to a korean store, next to whatever you can imagine.

On top of that the latest craze in the city is to eat Dim Sum or Tapas or Korean BBQ. Instead of separating it from the larger culture, we integrate it. In Atlanta we're not so keen on singling people out...even if it's in a "positive" way.
Yes, I agree Atlanta is an amazing city!

But according to the most recent measurement, since 2000, Metro Atlanta has recieved about 7,000 Koreans. However Metro Atlanta has recieved about 1.1 million people since then. Again 7,000 is alot for a community that isnt one of main Korean communities in the US (again, LA, NYC, Chicago, DC, or Philly), but the Korean growth wont quite add up to the growth of African Americans, Whites, and Latinos. Its the same for Dallas. Weve had about 7,000 new Koreans since 2000, but weve gotten more Vietnamese than Korean (about 10,000) and more Indians than either (about 15,000). Dallas now has the 5th largest Indian community in the US, which would have been inconcieveable 15 years ago. At last count, Metro Atlanta had about 190,000 residents born in Asia and DFW had about 250,000 residents born in Asia.

Dallas tried that with the Korean community. The keep trying to label Koreatown as "The Asia Trade District". But its only Korean. The city of Dallas is trying to get other things there as well that arent Korean, but the Korean community here likes having a place they can call their own. None of them live there, but thats where they do business.

I do agree with your and Atlantas premise that its better to just have a community where every nationality can do their thing. But some communities in some cities like to have their own thing. The Koreans in Dallas wanted their own place to do business. Maybe the Koreans in Atlanta dont need one which is cool. The area is also home to 4 Little Saigons, and 3 Indian neighborhoods. I guess thats a way that Atlanta and Dallas differ. Dallas doesnt put them in those places, but they like to have a place thats like home.

Atlanta and Dallas are both minority-majority cities. Dallas and Atlanta are very alike, yet so different. Atlanta is a mecca for African American culture and Dallas is a mecca for Latino (Mexican and Salvadoran) culture so on a cultural level they are different.

Unread 09-26-2009, 09:10 AM

925 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
In terms of huge metros, 600,000 isn't really that much.

Also remember, the Dallas metroplex also includes Fort Worth.
Yes, but Dallas and Fort Worth are part of the same urbanized mass. The built-up area is contiguous between Dallas and Fort Worth, much like it is with the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

Unread 09-26-2009, 09:20 AM

925 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
As far as religion is concerned I would say Dallas is a bit more progressive. Atlanta is in the south, the deep south and there still is that perception of it being heavily religious city and area. The christian dogma is king in Atlanta, as anyone will tell you, it's hard getting through Jesus Corner on a Sunday afternoon. There's also great diversity within the religious community in Atlanta. Atlanta like Dallas, is an international city so there are a lot of cultures and religious beliefs represented in both cities. But the general "perception" would be that Dallas is a bit more progressive.
Why do you feel that a decrease in the percentage of the "Jesus Corner", or "different faiths" makes an area progressive?

Progress, or what defines progress, is what drives mankind forward. Regardless of whether you believe in Jesus, if what the Bible says is true, which I believe it to be, then the incorporation of different faiths, or a decrease in the "Jesus corner" is not progress, for it is not helping to improve the status of a man's soul.

With many of you, it seems that you think that anything Christian, White, or traditionally Southern equals bad or unprogressive. On the other hand, anything non-white, non-Christian, and non-southern is good, or progressive. Why is that? Could the discrimination on this forum be that entrenched to entertain such an absurd notion?

Unread 09-26-2009, 09:24 AM

8,393 posts, read 10,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Yes, but Dallas and Fort Worth are part of the same urbanized mass. The built-up area is contiguous between Dallas and Fort Worth, much like it is with the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

Um...I know.

Unread 09-26-2009, 09:54 AM

678 posts, read 983,423 times
City Fanatic, what the OP was asking is if Dallas or Atlanta is more progressive, defined in this instance, as being "open-minded" to different faiths. Clearly you were not reading my post carefully, b/c nowhere in my post did I say or infer that a decrease in christian beliefs makes a city more religiously diverse. What I said was is that the perception in Dallas, b/c it's not in the heart of the bible belt, is that it is more progressive, IMO, not b/c there are less churches. I'm quite sure there are just as many churches if not more in Dallas, numbers mean nothing to the OP, they were asking about perception. There is nothing unprogessive about southern white christians, there is nothing to debate about if a person is white, from the south and practices christianity. I think you may have but offended when I said Jesus Corner, thinking I was using it in the pejorative sense, it's not my term, but a term many locals, christians and non-christians use to decribe a part of peachtree rd. in buckhead that has a church on every corner and on sundays it causes traffic.

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 09-26-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Unread 09-26-2009, 10:24 AM

7,732 posts, read 6,664,564 times
LAnative10 - Not sure how accurate these figures are, but this is much more in line with the general consensus around here re: our Korean Community:

The Korean population of Metro Atlanta has also seen a drastic change. Metro Atlanta currently is home to the fastest-growing Korean population in the country. The Korean population saw a sharp increase from 42,000 in 2000, to an estimated 80,000 in 2006. [122]

Source: Wapedia - Wiki: Atlanta.

Unread 09-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LAnative10 - Not sure how accurate these figures are, but this is much more in line with the general consensus around here re: our Korean Community:

The Korean population of Metro Atlanta has also seen a drastic change. Metro Atlanta currently is home to the fastest-growing Korean population in the country. The Korean population saw a sharp increase from 42,000 in 2000, to an estimated 80,000 in 2006. [122]

Source: Wapedia - Wiki: Atlanta.
Two things:

1) The data shown is from the Census which trumps any other people counter

2) The data is for foreign born residents only. It does not include Korean Americans who were born in the United States. Here is the data from 2000. All you need to do is take the population from the estimates above to the 2000 estimates. The data above is from 2005, so you have to add a few more. But this is the right data.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7...stics27ql1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta