U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 AM

4,688 posts, read 3,494,796 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is the #1 college football city home of the SEC Championship football game, the Chick-fil-a Bowl and the Chick-fil-a College Football Kickoff game.....

What other city has more games than this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 AM

644 posts, read 2,367,577 times
Ok I think I worded my original post incorrectly. By calling it the best college football city, I meant no other major city takes its college football as seriously. This is mainly because of all the corporate transplants, and therefore, huge alumni bases for major football schools. Every SEC school has a major alumni base in Atlanta. A lot of ACC schools do as well. And due to all the transplants, there are also huge alumni bases for Big 10, Big 12, and Big East schools.
I'm a Michigan alum, and we have not only one, but two, alumni bars that are packed every Saturday. I know the same is true for many other schools such as Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

No other city has such a collection of diehard college football fans, from a diverse fanbase. That is why I said it's the #1 college football city. Take a look at the sports bars in this city on a fall Saturday- they are all packed.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM

887 posts, read 1,200,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Really? Name them. There may be bigger college football towns for an individual team but as a melting pot of rooting interests you would be hard pressed to top Atlanta.
Exactly...You see (almost) as much Alabama paraphernalia as you do UGA and Tech. Plus, let's not forget the HBCU classic between TSU and FAMU every year at the the Dome that draws in thousands of people from all over the southeast.

In addition to a lot of people rooting for the home team (Tech) you have a lot of people from surrounding states who live in Atlanta supporting their teams, which is the point posters are making--the cross-mixture of college alumni from all over the southeast who live in Atlanta is more than that of other college football towns/cities who virtually all support one local team.

Not only are there huge Tech fans in metro Atlanta, but there are a lot of fans of a lot of different teams living in Atlanta who visibly support their teams with flags on cars, bumper stickers, flags waving outside people's homes, etc. Creates a good sports spirit throughout the city.

Atlanta is college football, which is why I hated that thread about Atlanta not being a sports town. We are fierce about college and prep sports! The locals know this very well, but if you live a thousand miles away and only go by stereotype, you would think something differently.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 AM

2,688 posts, read 2,154,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Ok I think I worded my original post incorrectly. By calling it the best college football city, I meant no other major city takes its college football as seriously. This is mainly because of all the corporate transplants, and therefore, huge alumni bases for major football schools. Every SEC school has a major alumni base in Atlanta. A lot of ACC schools do as well. And due to all the transplants, there are also huge alumni bases for Big 10, Big 12, and Big East schools.
I'm a Michigan alum, and we have not only one, but two, alumni bars that are packed every Saturday. I know the same is true for many other schools such as Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

No other city has such a collection of diehard college football fans, from a diverse fanbase. That is why I said it's the #1 college football city. Take a look at the sports bars in this city on a fall Saturday- they are all packed.
I get what you're saying now and I think that makes sense. Like I said I have no problem with having it in Atlanta and I think it will do well there. I was just trying to say that there are a lot of places with large college fan bases. But when you put it the way you did what you said makes more sense.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,270,023 times
What a great addition to the downtown/centennial park area. This area it appear is just going to get better and better.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,193,695 times
Los angeles anyone?

SC, UCLA, rose bowl. . . . .

Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 AM

794 posts, read 1,371,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Los angeles anyone?

SC, UCLA, rose bowl. . . . .
I would imagine that soccer is more popular than college football in LA. But again SC and UCLA are LOCAL teams. While you will still see a presence of lots of teams just by virtue of LA being a big city, the percentage of the overall population is very small.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
986 posts, read 2,652,665 times
And the key is to have it accesible to the majority of the population who follows CFB and where else but The Capitol of The South (Atlanta) where most of the teams are located and where their Alumni fan base has easy access to be able to attend those type of events.

I'm from LA and football is big there and is the ONLY city in the USA with two Division I teams from a major conference (BCS aka Bowl Championship Subdivision) right across town but there is just so much more to do in LA than watch football and growing up kids played all types of sports and were into arts, dance, etc. Much harder to do when you grow up in some rural southern town to be exposed to things like that so Football is LIFE in these type of towns in the south & midwest.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 09-23-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM

794 posts, read 1,371,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
And the key is to have it accesible to the majority of the population who follows CFB...and where most of the teams are from and their fan base. I'm from LA and football is big there and is the ONLY city in the USA with two Division I teams from a major conference right across town but there is just so much more to do in LA than watch football and it's obvious.
Houston is pissed that you don't consider Conference USA a major conference!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 PM

688 posts, read 1,120,938 times
I second all the comments. College Football is just bigger than the pro game in Atlanta. I think the main point being made in the forum is...Atlanta is a melting pot for alumni from ACC and SEC conferences, and other conferences for that matter. I think the only other contender was Dallas, I'm from Dallas, and the pro game, mainly the Cowboys, are the only game in town...period. Yes there are UT, OU, OSU and TxTech grads everywhere, but that's about it, many more teams and conferences are represented in atlanta. Lets just hope the city can capitalize on all of the development and attention to the DT area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta