U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM

364 posts, read 411,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's true. I remember before all the condos and rowhouses were built south of the park between Ponce and 10th and Peachtree and Juniper, it was nothing but a maze of crackheads, hookers, "houses of gentleman pleasure", crack houses, and dont forget the hot mess that was Backstreet. Either people around here have short memories or are assuming things were "better back in the day". LOL

Ive heard about how that area used to be kind of a red light district back in the day. I also remember on Collier Road when the post office used to be an A&P grocery store and going down Collier past where the Publix is now all the way to Defoors was mostly poor blacks and whites. To be honest most of Defoors and Collier west of Howell Mill was seedy back in the day. People who have just moved to Home Park and the Howell Mill area complain about the homeless shelters and vagrants in that area and I'm like they were here before you were, when they built them this area was totally different, not to mention the couple that are still over there now pales in comparison to how it used to be. I remember the intersection of Howell Mill and Collier was kind of like a boundary, the real old head Buckhead types were just to the north and east of that corner, and the poor to lower middle class blacks and whites were south and west of that corner. And then of course you had that stretch directly south of the Tech Campus with Clark Howell, Techwood, and Herndon Homes all within like 2 miles of each other. Buckhead and Midtown have always had some not so nice areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,505,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
If you used Atlantas 2009 murder rate and gave Atlanta the same population as Dallas it would have around 250 or so murders.
Dallas is a very nice city with a lot more sense of safety. A much larger police presence, clean streets, Dallas cant even touch Atlanta on the number of bums and crackheads roaming around ATL. Dallas unlike Atlanta has certain areas of high crime but not the entire area. Don't put Dallas down to make Atlanta look better when in fact Dallas is a safer area to live.
And Dont put Atlanta down to make Dallas look good as you always do... We know you oh so Love Dallas since you moved... Crime is Crime and you have your chances of being a victim just as well you would here in Atlanta. These days is not about where you live. If you wanna feel safe move to South Dakota...

Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,278,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
And Dont put Atlanta down to make Dallas look good as you always do... We know you oh so Love Dallas since you moved... Crime is Crime and you have your chances of being a victim just as well you would here in Atlanta. These days is not about where you live. If you wanna feel safe move to South Dakota...
ah I do love me some Dallas! Great city!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,505,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
ah I do love me some Dallas! Great city!

And I love me some Atlanta Wonderful city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta