Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy2008 View Post
Defending my "completely unfounded" stats with offical stats is way out of line?

Ok, whatever.

Sorry but unlike people who post here, I do not have any hidden agenda. I have lived in atlanta for 40 years and I know that place very well. Sorry if the truth about crime and traffic offends you guys.

Frances, I did not bother to read your reply and I have most of the "midtown" public relations people on ignore cause you guys attack anybody who says anything negative about your area.

Don't make me the bad guy. I am donating my time to see that out of state people don't get suckered into paying double for a house next to cracktown by some fake reviews.

Rather than kill the messenger, why don't you fix the crime problem in your area.

Denial and projection are bad traits.
Considering the number of posters that have come onto this thread to defend our community against your gross mischaracterizations of it, I think it's pretty easy for the OP to see where the truth lies. I think it's especially amusing that someone sitting out in some far-flung suburb thinks he has more accurate information about life in Decatur than the posters on here that actually live in the city.
Stop embarrassing yourself. Why someone would go to such lengths to disparage this area is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
Well the truth about traffic is its a non issue for intown residents. I only hear complaints from residents of the burbs.

And Midtown is not the same place it was 40, 30, 20, 10 or even 5 years ago and its hard to know it well from a distance.

Its human nature for someone who loves where they live to defend it against outright lies. The reviews are not fake, its a wonderful place to live. If you like the suburbs we are not bashing that, everyone is different. I personally know several people in the burbs who can't wait to move into the city.

This cracktown you speak of is full of culture, diversity and sucessful people, why would they choose to live here. And real estate intown appreciates better then that in the burbs. So there are a few pros to intown living.

Quote:
midtown atlanta cause my house value depends on people being clueless about the crime and traffic.

I have lived in atlanta for 40 years and I know that place very well. Sorry if the truth about crime and traffic offends you guys.

Frances, I did not bother to read the rest of your reply and I have most of the "midtown" public relations people on ignore cause you guys attack anybody who says anything negative about your area.

Don't make me the bad guy. I am donating my time to see that out of state people don't get suckered into paying double for a house next to cracktown by some fake reviews. I am sure that they will consider all opinions and facts and make an informed decision on the biggest investment of their life.

Rather than kill the messenger, why don't you fix the crime problem in your area.

Denial and projection are bad traits.

Why is it so upsetting when somebody gives posters some factual stats about an area?

The offical govt stats speak for themselves.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
I live way out in the suburbs and have rarely ventured to Decatur, but one simply has to consider property values to see where the truth lies. Why would houses in Decatur cost more than in the suburbs, if it were "cracktown"?

Market pricing is often a good indicator of truth. You can be pretty sure smoking really is a health hazard because insurance companies charge smokers quite a lot extra for life insurance. You can be pretty sure Decatur is an appealing place to live because the housing stock is expensive.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Now look at the 2008 crime data from the city of decatur police department. There was 1,105 serious crimes among 19,000 people. That means that 1 in 19 (5.2%) were a victim of crime. Doesn't sound too safe to me. And doesn't sound "irrational or completely unfounded" to me. http://www.decaturga.com/client_resources/cgs/citysvcs/police/2008_2009comparativecrimeanalysis.doc (broken link)

As the above police report shows, there was 200 burglaries among 8,000 dwellings. That means that 1 in 40 places were burglarized. (2.5% of dwellings burglarized?)
Where those all residential burglaries? Even if so, how was the crime distributed?

Commercial properties tend to skew statistics somewhat if any are present, as do some types of apartment buildings and other similar complexes, so you need to be careful when extrapolating crime statistics to the surrounding area.

Quote:
As I stated, all people should check the local crime stats on offical govt websites and the truth will come out.
This I wholeheartedly agree with. However, take the statistics with a grain of salt, and get the real scoop about each specific area being considered from folks who are directly familiar with those areas. It may be that the crime in question is relaively localized and actually has no impact at all on adjacent neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 24,188 times
First, Decatur isn't really inner city but thanks for the help. Decatur is as nice as any suburb, and I'll bet it's a nice place to live. And johnnyboy sure there is some crime. And the statistics tell you some things, but not everything. My house has only been broken into once in the past 12 years, and I have never known anyone that has experienced multiple break-ins in the Midtown area. You, living in your snobby subdivision, fail to understand life in the inner city. There are a lot of pros and just a few cons. Crime is only partially a determinant of how "nice" a neighborhood is. The suburbs don't have any diversity. You see white, white, white and a couple of Asian folk here and there. We actually build a community here in Midtown. Our "melting pot" is caramel colored as opposen to lightly tanned. We have the diversity in Midtown, we have the great shopping and eating, and we have the great community. Heck, we have it all.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 PM

285 posts, read 876,429 times
Quote:

Let's look at the "completely unfounded" statistics:
"According to our research of the Georgia and other state lists there were 274 registered sex offenders living in Decatur in May 2009. The ratio of number of residents in Decatur to the number of sex offenders is 69 to 1." Now factor in that the city of decatur is 4 square miles which means there is 68 registered sex offenders per square mile.
http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Decatur-Georgia.html (data from the state of georgia)

Somebody needs to fix that ratio it's completely wrong. Almost none of those addresses are in the 4.2 square miles that is City of Decatur, they're all in unincorporated Dekalb... Just because they have Decatur addresses doesn't mean they're in the city of Decatur.... I'm sorry, but you and your source is WRONG. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta