Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:00 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I keep reading and coming to the conclusion that Lawrenceville is not the best area to live. But is this all of Lawrenceville, or pockets, like everywhere else?
I'm asking, because there are homes in Lawrenceville zoned for Mountainview HS and Collins Hill HS.
What's the story?
We are looking primarily in Buford and Dacula (so far), but some of the Lawrenceville homes in those 2 school zones are beautiful!
We are obviously looking for the safest areas, best schools, etc. Just like everyone else. Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Lawrenceville covers several areas, most of which are in very good schools. Here's the good list:

Collins Hill
Brookwood
Peachtree Ridge
Dacula
MountainView
Archer
Grayson

The bad list is
Central Gwinnett
Berkmar

Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Lawrenceville covers several areas, most of which are in very good schools. Here's the good list:

Collins Hill
Brookwood
Peachtree Ridge
Dacula
MountainView
Archer
Grayson

The bad list is
Central Gwinnett
Berkmar

I actually wasn't aware that part of Lawrenceville was zoned to Berkmar.

Central Gwinnett would definitely be the weakest of the high schools listed. However, I have heard mixed reviews on it. It still ranks fairly well, and their test and SAT scores are some of the best in the county/metro.

Lawrenceville is a really wonderful place to live, and I know a ton of people who really love it here. There are good pockets and bad, just as in any place. I would definitely stick to the schools listed above however. It's a good indication of neighborhoods and future property values.

The Lawrenceville mailing area is vast, so please don't let people make sweeping judgements on an area. People's opinions are exactly that. I live on the far western edge of unincorporated Lawrenceville, basically next to Ronald Reagan Parkway and Five Forks Trickum. It's a great place, with a village quality about it.

Drive around and make your own conclusions. I have always thought that was best. If you find a house you really love, talk to the neighbors and they will tell you what they think. Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:00 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,365 times
I agree with everyone . You can't base the area on what other's tell you. I had to experience that myself. Unfortunately, I had to do everything online and moved to the Central Gwinnett area well my children are smaller but the school sucks and is horrible. The area is not all that either. I am however, relocating to the Archer, Cooper Elementary elementary (those are the two new schools) and I can say Lawrenceville is a good area to live. I have had no problems and there has been times where I have left town for weeks without the worry of security of my home. I must say once there were some teenagers who were stealing things and once I saw them earlier that day in the yard I called the police about a puppy of mines they stole. Not only did they go directly to the teenager's home but they also brought the puppy back. It doesn't get better than that. Back home in TExas yeah right!

So good luck with your search. Another thing I recommend is going to the neighborhoods day and night and seeing who is at home during the day, and at night who hangs out.

Good LUCK!!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:56 AM

Archer Cluster is more Dacula and Grayson. The District 3 Commissionner, Mike Beaudreau, lives there down Callie Still Road, which runs along the back of the Archer HS. There are a lot nice homes down that road ($400K to $700K)

Old 10-18-2009, 09:33 AM

81 posts, read 266,103 times
Why is Central Gwinnett High School put on "the bad list"? Central Gwinnett ranked in the 500's for Newsweek's Best High Schools in the Nation list for three years in a row! It ranked higher than North Central and Brookwood the year before last!

I attended the forum last week to hear what the candidates running for the open city council seats had to say, and I can tell you that these candidates, as well as the audience members, were looking at real issues here in Lawrenceville, and that the discussion ran along the lines of how best to effect positive change. It isn't enough that there will be a new amphitheatre and park built near downtown Lawrenceville, but what about underlying problems that we're facing today, such as the fact that Lawrenceville has such a bad perception? For instance, why does Central get such a bad reputation when it is actually doing so well, academically?

I live in the Central district, and I love it here! I love the fact that we live 2 miles from downtown Lawrenceville, which is under constant, exciting redevelopment. I love that there is any conceivable type of activity nearby for me and my family. Sometimes I take the kids ice skating at the IceForum, just a few miles away. Last night we took a five minute drive and went to the Gwinnett Arena to watch the Gwinnett Gladiators play (and win, I might add, against a Canadian team!!!) Next Friday, I plan on taking my daughter and a few of her friends to The Singing Bean in downtown Lawrenceville, where, on Friday evenings, they have kids' karaoke. My daughter and her friends LOVE getting up on that stage and singing. Afterward, we'll probably walk across the square to Rita's Frozen Custard to have frozen custard.

My son, 12, is into skateboarding. There are a couple of outdoor skateboard parks nearby, but we prefer to take him to the wooden one at Discover Mills Mall, which is only about 10 minutes away.

My husband and I both work from home, so during the week, we frequently go to The Corner Cafe for home-cooked meals, or McCray's so we can sit up on the roof outside for lunch.

I don't want to talk anyone into moving here if they have any qualms about it, whatsoever. But please, if you're going to post negative comments about Lawrenceville, at least keep yourself abreast of the facts. What I have just described is an accurate snap shot of what living in the Lawrenceville city limits is like for us. Our friends sometimes come down from Braselton to enjoy the square. We love it here. And it's probably going to get better. There is a master plan for Lawrenceville which includes walking trails throughout the whole city.

Oh yeah -- I forgot to mention the new walking/riding trails at Alexander Park which I take my dogs on a few times a week. We use the soft-surface trail, rather than the asphalt trail, because both I and my older dog benefit more from walking on sand. Also, the YMCA is about five minutes from our house, and as members, we can go there and work out in their facility, or take the kids swimming in the indoor pool. My son and daughter both play soccer at the Y.

We get all of this, and more house for the money than you'll find in many areas, and low taxes, because we choose Lawrenceville, which, if you can't tell already, I love. I had considered moving before, but when I think about all of the diverse activities available, it's hard to match that anywhere else that we can afford to live.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:43 PM

I forgot to mention that my daughter, 8, is taking acting lessons at the Aurora Theater here in Lawrenceville. I thought that was worth mentioning, also.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,416 times
Yeah, I haven't heard many bad things about Lawrenceville the City...now, maybe the area you are speaking of is some of the areas along Lawrenceville Hwy? Which would encompass Lilburn? I don't know, I haven't read anything bad about Lawrenceville.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 PM

I live in Lawrenceville, down New Hope Road, near Tribble Mill. Love this area. Very Country feel.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
Yeah, I haven't heard many bad things about Lawrenceville the City...now, maybe the area you are speaking of is some of the areas along Lawrenceville Hwy? Which would encompass Lilburn? I don't know, I haven't read anything bad about Lawrenceville.
I actually live on Highway 29, one mile from Gwinnett Central High School, just inside the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta