U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 AM

2,582 posts, read 2,453,016 times

Advertisements

I think the construction of the interstate system and other road projects through government subsidy and home-ownership subsidies for whites beginning in the 1940s, coupled with realtor's block busting and the increasing racial tensions of the 60s created the whole white flight scenario.

I would not say white flight did not happen in Charlotte. It definitely did. But NC's annexation law is such that forced annexation is easy and new incorporation difficult, so you did not see these separate towns popping up and siphoning resources from the city. Charlotte was pretty segregated spatially, it's just that the "city" kept expanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
can also point to places like Charlotte, and the Raleigh/Durham area where white flight wasn't as pronounced because they were less populated in the 60s and 70s, yet people still want single family homes

white flight was really just an acceleration of a trend that started in the 20s with cars, Atlanta would probably be just as sprawling today, although there might be more white people in the south suburbs, either way have a hard time believing lifestyles now would be all that different

Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 AM

2,582 posts, read 2,453,016 times
Overgeneralization. Some neighborhoods in cities are rough, yes. Obesity rates are lower in a lot of cities cause people walk more. And in my experience, there are A LOT more drug issues with kids in suburbs than cities. My cousin in NY would not raise her kid in the burbs because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
It would have been the same I think. I'm not sure I believe in white flight, I think that sprawl was more of a seeking the American dream of owning a home. Not everybody wants to live in a city, I'm very thankful I grew up in suburbia where I go anywhere and everywhere I wanted alone with little to worry about. You'd have to be insane to let your kid out in any city alone.

You end up with a lot of fat children like is happening today. They aren't allowed outside because it's too dangerous.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 AM

8,135 posts, read 7,455,377 times
Quote:
look at Portland, they never had white flight, people there still send their kids to city schools, and there's a vibrant downtown

but most people (of all races) there still want single family homes, and will move a good distance to get one they can afford, whether they're black, Vietnamese, white, or otherwise

can also point to places like Charlotte, and the Raleigh/Durham area where white flight wasn't as pronounced because they were less populated in the 60s and 70s, yet people still want single family homes

white flight was really just an acceleration of a trend that started in the 20s with cars, Atlanta would probably be just as sprawling today, although there might be more white people in the south suburbs, either way have a hard time believing lifestyles now would be all that different
In Portland they did not have anyone to FLEE from.LOL

Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 AM

27,550 posts, read 22,892,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if here is anything like there, it is the affluent members of AA that are equipped to remove the criminal elements from their community without hesitancy remorse or any guilt. it is black flight that truely hurts our urban areas not white flight.
Interesting you mention that. Alot of people always leave out the affluent African-American population, as if to say there wasn't any. Affluent anyone who leaves the city also takes away an important tax base. Places like Detroit lost alot of tax base when Whites left. When alot of affluent African-Americans left, things continued to downward spiral. It is often easier to leave than to stay and fight to make things better.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM

775 posts, read 856,097 times
Quote:
look at Portland, they never had white flight, people there still send their kids to city schools, and there's a vibrant downtown

but most people (of all races) there still want single family homes, and will move a good distance to get one they can afford, whether they're black, Vietnamese, white, or otherwise

Thats not true. Portland's population declined from 1950 to 1980 despite annexing 60% more land area during that time period.

Race was a component, in some cities more than others obviously, but it was not the ONLY factor. The term "white flight" would be more accurately called middle class flight.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Thats not true. Portland's population declined from 1950 to 1980 despite annexing 60% more land area during that time period.

Race was a component, in some cities more than others obviously, but it was not the ONLY factor. The term "white flight" would be more accurately called middle class flight.
Race indeed a component. I have a friend who is an elderly white woman from Oregon. She told me that most areas in Oregon outside of Portland were "sundown" areas. Even middle class blacks were not allowed to live in certain areas. People moving out of Portland to areas that blacks weren't allowed to move to. It has some racial overtones from what I can see.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM

925 posts, read 1,598,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Tim Wise is a guilt-dripping, anti-white, self-hater. He's also delusional and rather ignorant about the true social phenomena that occur within our country. If he's not delusional, he's simply harping such ideas to make money in this anti-common sense, anti-rational thinking, anti-white, pro-politically correct mainstream society, pushed by individuals and their lackies who own the media, control the politicians via business campaign dollars, and who have taken over academia.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Don't Democratic presidential candidates normally get 90% of the black vote?

I've heard that well over 90% voted for Gore, for example, and he is undeniably white. And Kerry got 89% or something like that.
The argument was made that blacks generally have different points of view, and you are pretty much confirming that they don't with their continuous voting for the Democrat Party candidates, in such lock-step order.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Tim Wise is a guilt-dripping, anti-white, self-hater. He's also delusional and rather ignorant about the true social phenomena that occur within our country. If he's not delusional, he's simply harping such ideas to make money in this anti-common sense, anti-rational thinking, anti-white, pro-politically correct mainstream society, pushed by individuals and their lackies who own the media, control the politicians via business campaign dollars, and who have taken over academia.
No he is not. He isn't about "white guilt". In fact, everything I hear from him has historical importance. Europeans didn't refer to themselves as "white" until colonial times and it was a trick. European indentured servants and African slaves got together and rebelled. This scared the elite, so they convinced the poor and indentured persons of European descent that their skin color was more important than their economic issues. It worked and it has continued to work. Tim Wise isn't telling lies. He is telling the truth. Alot of people just don't want it to be true, so they don't listen to it, calling him a proprietor of "white" guilt. If you don't want any African-Americans around you whether they be rich or poor, then that is your problem. The fact is, the concept of "white privilege" has been used and that is one of the big problems with this nation. No one wants to admit that the problem is the fact that this system in the USA was designed to prop up one ethnic group and to oppress another. So what if the USA has an African-American president? This system is still flawed. Sure, Obama got to the top, but he also had some advantages. He had the benefit of a good education, courtesy of his white grandparents and mother, in Hawaii. Believe it or not, alot of African-American children don't have that benefit. Alot of people are born into a system that isn't equal. What scares people about Tim Wise is that he basically says this system isn't equal.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
No he is not. He isn't about "white guilt". In fact, everything I hear from him has historical importance. Europeans didn't refer to themselves as "white" until colonial times and it was a trick. European indentured servants and African slaves got together and rebelled. This scared the elite, so they convinced the poor and indentured persons of European descent that their skin color was more important than their economic issues. It worked and it has continued to work. Tim Wise isn't telling lies. He is telling the truth. Alot of people just don't want it to be true, so they don't listen to it, calling him a proprietor of "white" guilt. If you don't want any African-Americans around you whether they be rich or poor, then that is your problem. The fact is, the concept of "white privilege" has been used and that is one of the big problems with this nation. No one wants to admit that the problem is the fact that this system in the USA was designed to prop up one ethnic group and to oppress another. So what if the USA has an African-American president? This system is still flawed. Sure, Obama got to the top, but he also had some advantages. He had the benefit of a good education, courtesy of his white grandparents and mother, in Hawaii. Believe it or not, alot of African-American children don't have that benefit. Alot of people are born into a system that isn't equal. What scares people about Tim Wise is that he basically says this system isn't equal.
Europeans peoples, white people, whatever you call them, didn't call themselves white because the world was closed off, by and large, to the average person. Hence, they didn't see much of the outside world, and had no reason to distinguish themselves from others, as there were no others.

Tim Wise is a guilt-dripping, anti-white buffoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta