U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 PM

156 posts, read 375,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have a feeling its gonna happen again before too long if things dont start shaping up and it wont be just whites leaving this time.
Well the whites I know are staying and fighting this time.

It's too bad this town is so racist.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 PM

156 posts, read 375,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Sure you can call it sad, racist, whatever, but that's life. Racism comes from all races. You can't pin it on just one.
I thought that Ohio was racist (whites against blacks) until I came to Atlanta (where it's the blacks against the whites). It's really unbelievable.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 PM

12,888 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
But that's no excuse for it. It's like you're saying "Well, they're racist, so I can be racist too." Two racists don't make it right.
Yep!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,443,780 times
My grandparents built their first house in 1946 on Alexander Dr., which is essentially at the corner of Candler and Glenwood in Decatur. They moved from that house and built another one on Lullwater Rd in 1950. In 1967 they fled the city because of the changes. Apparently my uncle was hanging with a 'bad crowd' and wanted to get out. Now, obviously the area around Lullwater never went into that much of a decline, but the area around their first house saw a HUGE change. It still isn't a place that I would like to call home.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM

926 posts, read 1,861,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidsnake View Post
you could be right. But still, i'd think that most of the petty stuff that comes out of southern politics like "states rights", the confederate flag, and the back-and-forth struggling over how to properly fund & deal with schools, healthcare, and other various "wedge" issues would be moot and none-existent.

I'm tired of seeing so many in this state fighting the same battles that should have been decided 30, 40, or 140-something years ago. It is standing in the way of tomorrow.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,113,545 times
I'm curious. Can you name me an instance of black on white racism? Because I'm pretty sure that the two groups' approaches to race relations are NOT similarly motivated, which is not to say that it doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
I thought that Ohio was racist (whites against blacks) until I came to Atlanta (where it's the blacks against the whites). It's really unbelievable.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,119,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I'm curious. Can you name me an instance of black on white racism? Because I'm pretty sure that the two groups' approaches to race relations are NOT similarly motivated, which is not to say that it doesn't happen.
Just to name a few things. The campaign from Atlantas black college professors against a white mayoral candidate and the racist art work that was in Atlanta city hall stating "it's ok to hate white people" and the ongoing lawsuits against county/city govt entities for reverse racism throughout the metro area. You are always hearing how open and tolerant Atlanta is which is a big reason for me moving here from Ohio as well. When I got here I was really surprised with how backward the thinking was. I don't know if a lot of people move here from smaller areas in the south and think this is as good as it gets but it's really not. Racism exists in every part of this country but to be so blatant about it like folks are here is just rude and unnecessary.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 AM

826 posts, read 2,733,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
If white flight never occurred the middle class whites and blacks would live closer to the city center, and the poor blacks and whites would live out in the suburbs.
THIS.
PS, this post is not going to end well.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 PM

12,888 posts, read 20,969,336 times
I really think everyone involved with thread should read the following book...

White Flight by Kevin Kruse

Kruse, K.M.: White Flight: Atlanta and the Making of Modern Conservatism.

Kevin Kruse, White Flight: The Strategies, Ideology, and Legacy of Segregationists in Atlanta (http://www.southernspaces.org/contents/2005/kruse/1a.htm - broken link)

*it gives a house by house, block by block, neighborhood by neighborhood account of the history, roots, and consequences of white flight in Atlanta. It also bridges modern southern politics to the white flight phenomenon of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Atlanta was very unique in its "white flight-ness" due to it being a Southern city, with a large robust, active, relatively prosperous black population--but also exhibiting white flight patterns similar to Northern urban cities.

A must read...I think for every Atlantan (native and new...urban and suburban).

Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 PM

926 posts, read 1,861,374 times
Read this for a history class in undergrad. Good read indeed. This helped when I did research on the marta ordeal in the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or