Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Asking this question is almost like wishing for peace on earth! That being said, I would wager that if white flight never happened there would be:

1. No sprawl
2. Resources are shared
3. Less duplication of the same government services, i.e., Creating new cities/counties for practically no reason other than greed and spite
4. Atlanta would essentially be Sweden or Norway with cleaner air, better education, longer life span, and a greater balance between work and leisure
5. People are not so caught up in trying to move away from everything which leads to buying unrealistically expensive houses on "at-will employment" salaries leading to today's subprime mortgage meltdown and resulting depression
6. People are HAPPY

Now I'm dreaming. Someone wake me up!
Urban sprawl beats smaked up urban condo/appartment living any day. Better yet, a few acres of space between McMansions would be even better.

Urban sux. And if no one left the city, it would just be a denser mess than it currently is.

The sub-prime meltdown, no matter what anyone says, was the fault of the supposed experts in the finance industry. They were the supposed *experts* and they allowed it to happen. Then of course AIG did the rest, LOL!

Anyway, cities basically suck, that's why people who can, often do their best to avoid them.

People bought all those "sprawled" out places for a reason. Dense living sux.

Shared, resources. That's a laugh. People are territorial animals, at least in part. Don't think so? Throw one pretty girl between two guys and watch what happens. Give one dime to two kids and see what happens.

Personal ownership is part of how people think, by and large. Some cultures are different on that I suppose, and I suspect dope smokers in communes see it differently, but private property and space between you and the next guy makes for a happier existance IMHO.

All the most dangerous areas in the U.S. are largely dense, black cities. What more needs to be said?

People take flight from things that suck, and that's the bottom line. You don't run from things that are great. DOH!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Scraper Enthusiast = City Fanatic...The Resident Racist is BACK!!!
We knew this some time ago.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Urban sprawl beats smaked up urban condo/appartment living any day. Better yet, a few acres of space between McMansions would be even better.

Urban sux. And if no one left the city, it would just be a denser mess than it currently is.

The sub-prime meltdown, no matter what anyone says, was the fault of the supposed experts in the finance industry. They were the supposed *experts* and they allowed it to happen. Then of course AIG did the rest, LOL!

Anyway, cities basically suck, that's why people who can, often do their best to avoid them.

Shared, resources. That's a laugh. People are territorial animals, at least in part. Don't think so? Throw one pretty girl between two guys and watch what happens. Give one dime to two kids and see what happens.

Personal ownership is part of how people think, by and large. Some cultures are different on that I suppose, and I suspect dope smokers in communes see it differently, but private property and space between you and the next guy makes for a happier existance IMHO.

All the most dangerous areas in the U.S. are largely dense, black cities. What more needs to be said?

People take flight from things that suck, and that's the bottom line. You don't run from things that are great. DOH!

I would rather live in a crowded urban center than in urban sprawl. It works for my personal benefits. At least cities are more walkable than a sprawling mess and transit options are usually better than in the suburban sprawl. IN the city, I get stared at less than I do in the suburbs. For some reason, I feel like I am treated a little better in the city than in some suburban areas. Other suburban areas are cool, but the city is where I function best. I don't have a car and for that reason, the city is best for me. As a single person, why do I care if I have a backyard? If I want some open spaces, I can go to the park.

As for the most dangerous cities being populated by blacks, well, I'm black and you don't see me going out and killing people. Furthermore, those same cities populated by large black populations, well, those same cities also have high poverty rates and high jobless rates. I have seen other posts by you and I know you are only saying this because you don't like black people, nor do you wish to know any, whether they be criminals or good decent people like the people I go to college with. And what about the everyday black people who have to deal with the crime in their own neighborhoods? I hardly see anyone express concern for them. I know what I see on the news. Most of what I see is black people committing crime. Do I ever hear that most of the crime committed by blacks is often against blacks. Statistically, most crimes are intraracial, not interracial.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yep, we did.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Centennial Place isn't even all that close to Tech...it's at least a couple of blocks away, with Coca-Cola in between. I wonder why Coke employees aren't getting robbed by all those "hood rats"?

Centennial Place is actually very nice.

Flickr Photo Download: Centennial Place & Coke (http://www.flickr.com/photos/paytonc/85706680/sizes/l/ - broken link)
Actually, it's right across the street from Tech campus. I used to live in the North Ave apartments, and right next to them are Centennial Place. Now, as for them "being garbage," nuh uh. Those are NICE apartments. I sat down in front of my friend's place, and a security guard (this was at 12AM) came up to me and told me I couldn't do that, even though the friend said it was okay. NO ONE was allowed to sit down on their porches. It "attracted the wrong people," and they stated they were keeping certain people out. It was like Nazi Funland with all the rules, LOL. However, I never felt unsafe.

All of the robberies at Tech have been happening on the North Campus, which is nowhere near CP.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:36 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

Wow, someone doesn't know anything about finance or macroeconomics.

The cause of the sub-prime meltdown was over-leverage of banks caused by... MORTGAGE LENDING! People used ARMs, Alt-As, and other financial instruments to purchase homes larger/more expensive than they could afford. These types of mortgages were attractive because the Fed lowered their rate to 1% after the stock market crash to introduce more money supply to the economy and boost demand. People were also convinced that they could sell their homes or refi them if they ever wanted to get out. However, the Fed funds rate rose, people's ARMs reset, and home prices reached a point where demand elasticity finally made people say "hey, that's a ripoff." People dumped their homes on the market, causing excess inventory to lower prices below what people bought originally. They couldn't sell nor could they afford their new mortgage payments, so many abandoned their homes and foreclosed. The mortgage backed securities that bundled these loans into nice packages and labeled them as AAA started to become negative equity, resulting in the collapse of large banks that bought them due to OVER-LEVERAGING. These loans weren't given by EXPERTS, they were given by BANKERS wanting COMMISSION and PROMOTIONS. The rating system was arbitrarily made by Moody's and other companies, not economists. So, yes, this was caused in part by greedy people who wanted a McMansion in the subburbs, or a condo in Midtown.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Thumbs up Si, Claro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Just wanted to send a little reminder to everyone else who was unaware and back it up with a little hard data...I'm happy that your informed though

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Excellent Post BizChick86...You sound like a well put together woman! Bravo! Cobain keeps striking out...smh.
Thanks...I see by the way this thread has progressed that there are a loud crazy few, but reason will always hold up against the madness.

And I suppose New York City is the most sought after city in the country (world?) because of urban sprawl .

Who wants comprehensive, functioning, relatively inexpensive transit, nightlife, cultural activities, and restaurants within a central vicinity, places where you can actually run and walk outdoors without the risk of getting run over, and the ability to have your basic needs met and without having to waste gallons of gas on just getting there? Urbanity-smurbanity. I'll take obesity and isolation any day of the week!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:38 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Thanks...I see by the way this thread has progressed that there are a loud crazy few, but reason will always hold up against the madness.

And I suppose New York City is the most sought after city in the country (world?) because of urban sprawl .

Who wants comprehensive, functioning, relatively inexpensive transit, nightlife, cultural activities, and restaurants within a central vicinity, places where you can actually run and walk outdoors without the risk of getting run over, and the ability to have your basic needs met and without having to waste gallons of gas on just getting there? Urbanity-smurbanity. I'll take obesity and isolation any day of the week!
Sarcasm, I like that.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
And again the only "fact" in this article is what a handful of people allege in a law suit against one person who was an elected official. So someone writes an article (an opinion piece no less which requires no fact checking or citation) about one person, and you feel that justifies the statement that Black Atlantans are racist? What happened to treating people as individuals?

Vernon Jones' actions (all of which were alleged, and some of which was furthered by white administrators as well) is hardly a paper cut in the "cuts" of race relations in Atlanta. To point to these isolated events that are all murky and have been deliberately sensationalized to be deceiving and innacurate are horrible examples compared to the ongoing, institutional, and overt acts of racism, including lynching, segregation, legal descrimination, arson, and terror that have plagued Black communities by racist whites for several decades in the past and the continued institutional racism and discrimination against blacks today in the metro area.
Did you even read the article? It gave many facts, including the "award by a federal jury of $26 million to white librarians fired and reassigned by the Atlanta-Fulton County Library system..." just because they were white.

The “Black Leadership Forum” allegedly disseminated an email that essentially calls for a unified front among blacks to vote for their preferred (black) candidate to ensure the defeat of Norwood.

And you don't think this is racist? That is startling.

Here is another great article about reverse racism in Atlanta.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/thewide...cism_20090831/

Racism definitely cuts both ways in atlanta. I would even argue that recently the pendulum has swung the other way and blacks being racist toward whites is more common, especially in atlanta.

Also, if you could please find some recent examples of "ongoing, institutional, and overt acts of racism, including lynching, segregation, legal descrimination, arson, and terror that have plagued Black communities by racist whites for several decades in the past and the continued institutional racism and discrimination against blacks today in the metro area." And since claims made by individuals in a court of law dont count for you as evidence, make sure you dont include those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta