U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
927 posts, read 1,911,527 times
Reputation: 737

Advertisements

I don't talk about things that I don't know about, unlike some on this board. The only black person mentioned in that article was Vernon Jones about allegations that are still unresolved. As for the librarians, that article says nothing about who was actually discriminating against the librarians, only that it was white librarians who made the case. This again does not speak to some broad claim that Blacks in Atlanta are racist. Further, if you actually read about the case, no one was fired at all.

Regarding a unified front, who on earth would support a candidate that does not address their concerns? That's the purpose of democracy for those who don't remember. Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and support someone who does not want to improve my community.

That memo was in fact a full research project conducted by two prominent Atlanta poltiical scientists who were asked to assess Atlanta's political landscape. They made an analysis and emailed the parties who asked for the assessment. The media, instead of issuing the full report, tacked together bits and pieces of the report and made sensationalized remarks that the authors were racist. The whole report actually said that whoever could best serve the community should be supported, regardless of race. Most people don't know that because most people rely on news broadcasts that have made their bread and butter being sensational. Most news outlets, first of all reported the wrong person as authoring it, and two misreported the actual information in the analysis. You're going to lack the journalistic integrity as a professional news organization and be so quick to make headlines you don't even do the basic research to determine the correct author?

Being the research-minded, independent thinker that I am, I decided to wade through the mess and talk to one of the authors himself, who forwarded me the report and a letter he wrote to the AJC (below). Of course, they did not publish this letter (why get facts from the source when you can make up your own story to sell papers?):

"The recent suggestion that it is somehow racist to highlight an agenda that promotes the interests of African American voters is patently false. It is a red herring that polarizes debate about electing the most qualified candidate for Atlanta’s next mayor. The need for African American voter and taxpayer interests to be addressed by all candidates is just as legitimate as it is for candidates to respond to issues raised by the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, Georgia Stand-Up, Central Atlanta Progress or any Neighborhood Planning Unit (NPU).


News coverage to date of an analysis presented to the Black Leadership Forum has been incendiary and misleading. To correct the record, Aaron Turpeau is not the author of the memo, nor is anyone associated with the Black Leadership Forum. We are the sole authors and we stand by our academic analysis, with the exception for the error regarding the political affiliation of Mr. Spikes and Mr. Thomas, for which we have apologized.


Furthermore, the reported assertion that our statement was written on behalf of any candidate or to instruct African Americans how to vote is flatly wrong. African Americans in Atlanta have been voting for decades and are quite capable of making up their own minds.

Make no mistake, we do not work for any of the candidates. We have held no formal discussions with any of the campaigns and have made no contributions to any of the campaigns.
In our statement we presented views that have been articulated in various parts of the community. As we argue in the statement, African Americans should “critically evaluate all candidates” because “we have arrived at a place in time where we can no longer afford to just look at race in the Mayor’s race or individual council races.” However, these key quotes from our document have been excluded from media coverage and by individuals who apparently have not read the document.

We stand by our belief that “a black agenda would enable African American interests to be respected by any administration.” The interests of African American voters are just as legitimate as other Atlanta voters, and the notion that we must apologize for highlighting those interests is absurd.

William Boone, PhD
Keith Jennings, PhD"

If you really want to know the facts, call up the professors and ask your questions on current examples of racial discrimination. Especially considering this role you seem to covet as the defender of discrimination, you should be more than happy to get at the root of this.

While you're at it, ask them to brush you up on your history and current events. Clearly you missed the lesson on how the 300 year era of slavery, Jim Crow laws, grandfather clauses, and segregation in Atlanta prevented black people from acculmulating wealth and limited their political power today, with the affect being that Blacks nationally have 1/10 the net wealth of whites and suffer from numerous other economic disparities that affect their ability to get the best education, healthcare, and housing (i.e. institutional racism) in the year 2009. Of course, this still does not include persistent employment discrimination that result in black people being fired more than any other race when there are layoffs (2006 census statitics), lends to white men with criminal records having a better chance of landing a job than a black man without a record (2004 study), and the consistent manner in which white families left neighborhoods because of their stereotyping of black families and other families of color (1970s-2000s), which then leads to less economic resources being available to fund schools properly (since y'know, the decades in which we were subjected to no-paying hard labor and menial jobs post-slavery prevented most blacks from accumulating wealth and becoming economically stable).

As per your request, FYI, most blacks didn't even have legal rights to even take things to court (being hardly citizens and all). So basically, every act of discrimination prior to 1954 was disregarded by America's court system and was never brought to justice through legal action.

I mean, I could provide a whole history lesson, publish, and podcast it (since some are apparently averse to reading) but it might just be more resonant if you do it yourself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Did you even read the article? It gave many facts, including the "award by a federal jury of $26 million to white librarians fired and reassigned by the Atlanta-Fulton County Library system..." just because they were white.

The “Black Leadership Forum” allegedly disseminated an email that essentially calls for a unified front among blacks to vote for their preferred (black) candidate to ensure the defeat of Norwood.

And you don't think this is racist? That is startling.

Here is another great article about reverse racism in Atlanta.

So-called “reverse racism” is after all … just plain old racism | The Wide Angle | Jewish Journal

Racism definitely cuts both ways in atlanta. I would even argue that recently the pendulum has swung the other way and blacks being racist toward whites is more common, especially in atlanta.

Also, if you could please find some recent examples of "ongoing, institutional, and overt acts of racism, including lynching, segregation, legal descrimination, arson, and terror that have plagued Black communities by racist whites for several decades in the past and the continued institutional racism and discrimination against blacks today in the metro area." And since claims made by individuals in a court of law dont count for you as evidence, make sure you dont include those.

Last edited by bizchick86; 10-13-2009 at 11:47 AM..

 
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,163,154 times
Reputation: 5697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I don't talk about things that I don't know about, unlike some on this board. The only black person mentioned in that article was Vernon Jones about allegations that are still unresolved. As for the librarians, that article says nothing about who was actually discriminating against the librarians, only that it was white librarians who made the case. This again does not speak to some broad claim that Blacks in Atlanta are racist. Further, if you actually read about the case, no one was fired at all.

Regarding a unified front, who on earth would support a candidate that does not address their concerns? That's the purpose of democracy for those who don't remember. Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and support someone who does not want to improve my community.

That memo was in fact a full research project conducted by two prominent Atlanta poltiical scientists who were asked to assess Atlanta's political landscape. They made an analysis and emailed the parties who asked for the assessment. The media, instead of issuing the full report, tacked together bits and pieces of the report and made sensationalized remarks that the authors were racist. The whole report actually said that whoever could best serve the community should be supported, regardless of race. Most people don't know that because most people rely on news broadcasts that have made their bread and butter being sensational. Most news outlets, first of all reported the wrong person as authoring it, and two misreported the actual information in the analysis. You're going to lack the journalistic integrity as a professional news organization and be so quick to make headlines you don't even do the basic research to determine the correct author?

Being the research-minded, independent thinker that I am, I decided to wade through the mess and talk to one of the authors himself, who forwarded me the report and a letter he wrote to the AJC (below). Of course, they did not publish this letter (why get facts from the source when you can make up your own story to sell papers?):

"The recent suggestion that it is somehow racist to highlight an agenda that promotes the interests of African American voters is patently false. It is a red herring that polarizes debate about electing the most qualified candidate for Atlanta’s next mayor. The need for African American voter and taxpayer interests to be addressed by all candidates is just as legitimate as it is for candidates to respond to issues raised by the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, Georgia Stand-Up, Central Atlanta Progress or any Neighborhood Planning Unit (NPU).


News coverage to date of an analysis presented to the Black Leadership Forum has been incendiary and misleading. To correct the record, Aaron Turpeau is not the author of the memo, nor is anyone associated with the Black Leadership Forum. We are the sole authors and we stand by our academic analysis, with the exception for the error regarding the political affiliation of Mr. Spikes and Mr. Thomas, for which we have apologized.


Furthermore, the reported assertion that our statement was written on behalf of any candidate or to instruct African Americans how to vote is flatly wrong. African Americans in Atlanta have been voting for decades and are quite capable of making up their own minds.

Make no mistake, we do not work for any of the candidates. We have held no formal discussions with any of the campaigns and have made no contributions to any of the campaigns.
In our statement we presented views that have been articulated in various parts of the community. As we argue in the statement, African Americans should “critically evaluate all candidates” because “we have arrived at a place in time where we can no longer afford to just look at race in the Mayor’s race or individual council races.” However, these key quotes from our document have been excluded from media coverage and by individuals who apparently have not read the document.

We stand by our belief that “a black agenda would enable African American interests to be respected by any administration.” The interests of African American voters are just as legitimate as other Atlanta voters, and the notion that we must apologize for highlighting those interests is absurd.

William Boone, PhD
Keith Jennings, PhD"

If you really want to know the facts, call up the professors and ask your questions on current examples of racial discrimination. Especially considering this role you seem to covet as the defender of discrimination, you should be more than happy to get at the root of this.

While you're at it, ask them to brush you up on your history and current events. Clearly you missed the lesson on how the 300 year era of slavery, Jim Crow laws, grandfather clauses, and segregation in Atlanta prevented black people from acculmulating wealth and limited their political power today, with the affect being that Blacks nationally have 1/10 the net wealth of whites and suffer from numerous other economic disparities that affect their ability to get the best education, healthcare, and housing (i.e. institutional racism) in the year 2009. Of course, this still does not include persistent employment discrimination that result in black people being fired more than any other race when there are layoffs (2006 census statitics), lends to white men with criminal records having a better chance of landing a job than a black man without a record (2004 study), and the consistent manner in which white families left neighborhoods because of their stereotyping of black families and other families of color (1970s-2000s), which then leads to less economic resources being available to fund schools properly (since y'know, the decades in which we were subjected to no-paying hard labor and menial jobs post-slavery prevented most blacks from accumulating wealth and becoming economically stable).

As per your request, FYI, most blacks didn't even have legal rights to even take things to court (being hardly citizens and all). So basically, every act of discrimination prior to 1954 was disregarded by America's court system and was never brought to justice through legal action.

I mean, I could provide a whole history lesson, publish, and podcast it (since some are apparently averse to reading) but it might just be more resonant if you do it yourself.
Bravo!

As an addendum for everyone, can we also agree that terms like "reverse racism" and "the race card" are idiotic?

Racism is racism no matter who perpetrates it. The same goes for bigotry. And any one who says something is racist or bigoted to avoid supporting their own argument or to divert attention away from their issues is just, well, stupid.
 
Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,615,764 times
Reputation: 550
As for the letter, if you do not see it as racist, then I cannot change your view. Even Mayor Franklin called the letter "bigoted."

I don't need to do any research on white on black racism. I know it exists today, and I know its history. And you make good points in regards to it, but they are points I already know. That you refuse to even entertain the fact that black people could be racist against whites shows your closemindedness. Just because of the long history of white racism does not mean black racism does not exist.

Instead of me doing some research on the history of white racism, which I already know, and that occurred 40 years before I was even born, why dont you do some research on the racism that exists between all groups in 2009, including blacks against whites.
 
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
As for the letter, if you do not see it as racist, then I cannot change your view. Even Mayor Franklin called the letter "bigoted."

I don't need to do any research on white on black racism. I know it exists today, and I know its history. And you make good points in regards to it, but they are points I already know. That you refuse to even entertain the fact that black people could be racist against whites shows your closemindedness. Just because of the long history of white racism does not mean black racism does not exist.

Instead of me doing some research on the history of white racism, which I already know, and that occurred 40 years before I was even born, why dont you do some research on the racism that exists between all groups in 2009, including blacks against whites.
There is obviously racism existing in some form against every race...but black on white racism is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to white on black racism. I think that white folks, with all of the current and historical advantages that we have enjoyed in every aspect of life, can handle it without crying about it.
 
Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,047 posts, read 3,964,851 times
Reputation: 959
HERE! HERE! Can we put this on a T-shirt? Or better yet Mt. Rushmore? Can we carve it on the Washington Monument? For the love of all things chocolate can we just bury it altogether?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Bravo!

As an addendum for everyone, can we also agree that terms like "reverse racism" and "the race card" are idiotic?

Racism is racism no matter who perpetrates it. The same goes for bigotry. And any one who says something is racist or bigoted to avoid supporting their own argument or to divert attention away from their issues is just, well, stupid.
 
Old 10-13-2009, 01:12 PM
 
13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There is obviously racism existing in some form against every race...but black on white racism is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to white on black racism. I think that white folks, with all of the current and historical advantages that we have enjoyed in every aspect of life, can handle it without crying about it.
Beautifully said.
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
927 posts, read 1,911,527 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
As for the letter, if you do not see it as racist, then I cannot change your view. Even Mayor Franklin called the letter "bigoted."
Nope, an analysis that asserts that black people should support a candidate that addresses their particular community issues is not what I'd consider racism.

Quote:
I don't need to do any research on white on black racism.
You asked for examples and I provided them.

Quote:
That you refuse to even entertain the fact that black people could be racist against whites shows your closemindedness.
I didn't refuse any thing of the sort. You made a very broad statement that Black Atlantans are racists and I analyzed your paltry examples.

Quote:
There is obviously racism existing in some form against every race...but black on white racism is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to white on black racism. I think that white folks, with all of the current and historical advantages that we have enjoyed in every aspect of life, can handle it without crying about it.
Amen.
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,262 posts, read 2,517,977 times
Reputation: 966
I can honestly say that one day I hope when every person goes to vote, that they do not consider race a factor. We as a people, and society are not to that point. One day we can all vote for the person who will help us, and everyone they serve more than the next person.

I personally do not think that if I voted for a white person, that he/she would be more apt to understand and help me. However, my experiences are limited, and I can understand why someone would think otherwise. I don't blame any group of people that wish to vote for someone that they believe will look out for them and what they believe in. That's democracy!
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I can honestly say that one day I hope when every person goes to vote, that they do not consider race a factor. We as a people, and society are not to that point. One day we can all vote for the person who will help us, and everyone they serve more than the next person.

I personally do not think that if I voted for a white person, that he/she would be more apt to understand and help me. However, my experiences are limited, and I can understand why someone would think otherwise. I don't blame any group of people that wish to vote for someone that they believe will look out for them and what they believe in. That's democracy!
That's a nice thought, but it will never happen. We'll never see every person vote, much less every person vote without regards to race. We saw a lot of that in the last election...a lot of white voters went with Obama. Black voters have really never had a viable black candidate to vote for until 2008, but I think in the future the race of a candidate will become less important.

But there will always be some people who will only vote for a candidate who is their same color...
 
Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Reputation: 15309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's a nice thought, but it will never happen. We'll never see every person vote, much less every person vote without regards to race. We saw a lot of that in the last election...a lot of white voters went with Obama. Black voters have really never had a viable black candidate to vote for until 2008, but I think in the future the race of a candidate will become less important.

But there will always be some people who will only vote for a candidate who is their same color...
I read a book by Tim Wise called "Between Barackk and a Hard Place" and after listening to one of his speeches in person, I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top