U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Dekalb County
1,045 posts, read 1,499,519 times
Reputation: 336

Advertisements

Hypothetically speaking, how would Atlanta be different today if white flight had never happened?

 
Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,429 posts, read 2,270,421 times
Reputation: 1182
I have a feeling its gonna happen again before too long if things dont start shaping up and it wont be just whites leaving this time.
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,555 posts, read 6,876,702 times
Reputation: 3717
Well let's consider the fact that White Flight happened every where in America. However, I do believe it was more of a flight to the suburbs than anything else. It just so happened that more white people were middle and upper middle class in the 70s and 80s.

I don't think Atlanta would be much different than it is today, with the exception a few extra thousand people.
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,825 posts, read 2,391,094 times
Reputation: 1498
Asking this question is almost like wishing for peace on earth! That being said, I would wager that if white flight never happened there would be:

1. No sprawl
2. Resources are shared
3. Less duplication of the same government services, i.e., Creating new cities/counties for practically no reason other than greed and spite
4. Atlanta would essentially be Sweden or Norway with cleaner air, better education, longer life span, and a greater balance between work and leisure
5. People are not so caught up in trying to move away from everything which leads to buying unrealistically expensive houses on "at-will employment" salaries leading to today's subprime mortgage meltdown and resulting depression
6. People are HAPPY

Now I'm dreaming. Someone wake me up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Hypothetically speaking, how would Atlanta be different today if white flight had never happened?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-09-2009 at 10:36 PM..
 
Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 PM
 
925 posts, read 1,599,385 times
Reputation: 502
You wouldn't have areas as highly loaded with crime.

However, this question needs to be pinned on who is to blame.

"What would Atlanta have looked like had hood rats not forced white people to move"?

In answering that question, I can honestly say that Atlanta would be wealthier. It wouldn't have a budget shortfall. Crime rates would be substantially lower. Atlanta would have a vibrant downtown area, and you'd be more apt to see people walking alongside the streets. Downtown Atlanta wouldn't have a stigma, and there'd be greater investment in the area.

It would also have likely meant that blacks would have never come to control the city government, and, in not doing so, they wouldn't have been able to push their agenda of promoting the city to blacks around the rest of the country as a "black mecca" through black media, such as JET magazine or B.E.T. This would mean that you'd likely have never seen the emergence of the Atlanta rap industry, which has put a stain on the image of Atlanta, as an everyday person seeing a hoodrat with gold caps on his teeth, with a super-size gold-colored chain doesn't impress anyone. As such, this encourages less than professional individuals to this region, and it has discouraged some individuals from moving to this region.

Overall, the region would be better.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Searching n Atlanta
745 posts, read 1,082,089 times
Reputation: 275
^ this is one of the most horrible post I have ever read in my life. I keep trying to comment on this post but I can't because this is just ignorant and I dont wont to attack your character. Your probally a good person with messed up ideas.

but that whole post you typed was just dumb. What politician doesnt have an agenda, be it good or bad? This city is great, how could a city that was a second tier American city win the olympics against world cities like Toronto and Athens.

If white flight never happened Atlanta would of never grown to be a Top Tier American city that it is. Atlanta would not be one of the hubs of emerging Megalopis along I-85.

So if white flight never happened Atlanta would be nothing but a interstate stop to fill up your tank like Greenville SC. And nobody wants Atlanta to be like that.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,741,668 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
^ this is one of the most horrible post I have ever read in my life. I keep trying to comment on this post but I can't because this is just ignorant and I dont wont to attack your character. Your probally a good person with messed up ideas.

but that whole post you typed was just dumb. What politician doesnt have an agenda, be it good or bad? This city is great, how could a city that was a second tier American city win the olympics against world cities like Toronto and Athens.

If white flight never happened Atlanta would of never grown to be a Top Tier American city that it is. Atlanta would not be one of the hubs of emerging Megalopis along I-85.

So if white flight never happened Atlanta would be nothing but a interstate stop to fill up your tank like Greenville SC. And nobody wants Atlanta to be like that.
Didn't you know? The "hood rats" are totally to blame! All of the scared sheep who abandoned their neighborhoods and their city were simply victims!

I very much place at least part of the blame on people like my parents...at the first sign of trouble (back in 1973), they sold their house in the city and fled to the outer burbs. Granted, it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight, but I still think that people should have stayed and fought for their homes and neighborhoods rather than running away. Too many white people were afraid of black people during that time.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,738 posts, read 10,018,914 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Creating new cities/counties for practically no reason other than greed and spite
Huh? I'm assuming you're referring to Sandy Springs, Johns Creek, Milton, Chatahoochee Hills, and Dunwoody? Do you not think those folks have the right to more local representation and government, if that's what they agree to have? If you're making this racial, the citizens of South Fulton County had a similar choice to make and they made it. The population in S Fulton happens to be a black majority.

Why is it greed for someone to want to have more local control over the zoning, taxes, and direction of their neighborhood? I'll never understand this kind of thinking...it's not greed for others to want to take your money and do with it what they want or to make decisions on what development takes place in your neighborhood, but it's greed for you to want to have more of a say in the process.
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
858 posts, read 532,342 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
It would also have likely meant that blacks would have never come to control the city government, and, in not doing so, they wouldn't have been able to push their agenda of promoting the city to blacks around the rest of the country as a "black mecca" through black media, such as JET magazine or B.E.T.
With comments like this I'm assuming you're just trolling like you do in most of your other racist posts but if you really do have such a problem with black people then why in the world do you live in a city that's mostly black? Go to Portland or something and spare us your intolerance
 
Old 10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,825 posts, read 2,391,094 times
Reputation: 1498
Spiritually speaking Neil you are correct. Government at its most basic core is to serve the will of the people. If the people deem that government to be unresponsive to the needs of the people they should have a right to disband that government and form some other form of collective association or agency that respond better to their needs.

That being said, I am not comfortable with the way these new governments formed given the history of this country, the way in which resources are accounted for and divvied up and the way in which the dominate forces of this society always seem to ultimately have the final say. By that I mean the way in which some people were forced to pay taxes and get substandard service, if any at all, at the barrel of the gun right up until the 1964 Civil Rights Act, and then the way in which resources were traditionally denied and confiscated unfairly. Up to this day STILL there is resource inequality.

My ancestors were not even considered people, let alone Americans for a long time, and then the moment folks like me are actually CONSIDERED Americans(to varying degrees of course), the rug is prematurely snatched from under us in terms of learning to grips with how to properly govern a city, a county, or a state. After all there was never truely a coming together of minds in inviting people of all colors, nationalities, and creeds to make government work for all. Nope, it was simply "here's the keys, good luck, and you're on your own buddy."

How can any government function given those circumstances? Sandy Springs and the City of Dunwoody was able to incorporate only AFTER those areas benefitted from the many decades of wealth and resource hoarding.

Non-minority owned Businesses that contract with the various governments of Georgia are large ONLY because they benefitted from decades of lack of competition due to free-market UNFRIENDLY mechanisms like segregation. Now they want to complain about Affirmative Action in city contracts. What sham that is...

Also I have to ask my myself how did the Perimeter CID in North Dekalb become so prosperous in the first place? Dunwoody gets to enjoy all of the tax money because it was able to become "free". Hypocrisy, I say to that situation...

So yeah, it is my conclusion that these new cities were born out of greed and spite. But that's okay though. He who owns the gold makes the rules, and this society does a very good job unfortunately in many ways of reminding some people more than others of that fact.

My opinion, take it or leave it...


Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Huh? I'm assuming you're referring to Sandy Springs, Johns Creek, Milton, Chatahoochee Hills, and Dunwoody? Do you not think those folks have the right to more local representation and government, if that's what they agree to have? If you're making this racial, the citizens of South Fulton County had a similar choice to make and they made it. The population in S Fulton happens to be a black majority.

Why is it greed for someone to want to have more local control over the zoning, taxes, and direction of their neighborhood? I'll never understand this kind of thinking...it's not greed for others to want to take your money and do with it what they want or to make decisions on what development takes place in your neighborhood, but it's greed for you to want to have more of a say in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top