U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2009, 04:21 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,410,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
Whatever you say ask anybody you know from the states I mentioned and see what happens. You're in denial its ok fight for your world class city!

Atlanta is not what you think it is. Its a cool place and that's as far as it goes
I guess someone needs to educate you.

We aren't AFRAID to talk about race here. We argue, fight, bit*h, moan and **** about it. It is part of our fabric.

Other places shove crap under the rug and play lip service. We talk things out and get things done.

Other, more Northern cities WISH they had our openness and will to face things head on.

Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 04:21 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,758,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
You guys must not live in Atlanta metro I assume. I've only been living here since 2007 ands see some about every day as the front license plate on somebody's car. Either that or a bumper sticker on the back. So it's hard to miss them and you don't have to be looking for them if you drive around often.
Well, I guess if my neighbor had one on his car I would see it everyday too. But it's not a common thing to see Confederate Flags displayed around the city - at least not in my 20 years of experience here. It's more common in people's minds.

I see many more Gay Flags than Confederate Flags.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM

103 posts, read 134,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I do live in the metro, the Northeastern quadrant ITP. I simply don't see them, but like others have said, I don't search for them either.

I don't search but they are out there. Like I said 2004 is when the took that flag down 2004 again 2004 again 2004!!!! Why were the people of Atlanta the world class diverse city allowing this to go on????? Explain That?? I'll wait......................................

Old 10-18-2009, 04:24 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
I don't search but they are out there. Like I said 2004 is when the took that flag down 2004 again 2004 again 2004!!!! Why were the people of Atlanta the world class diverse city allowing this to go on????? Explain That?? I'll wait......................................
Why don't you take it up with the Olympic selection committee?

Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM

103 posts, read 134,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I guess someone needs to educate you.

We aren't AFRAID to talk about race here. We argue, fight, bit*h, moan and **** about it. It is part of our fabric.

Other places shove crap under the rug and play lip service. We talk things out and get things done.

Other, more Northern cities WISH they had our openness and will to face things head on.

Think about it.
Boy I never knew I few High-Rise Buildings, Gucci store, PF Changs and paved roads could make people so cocky not used to things ha??

Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 PM

305 posts, read 633,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Wow. Someone actually used the term "The A". I was hoping that was one of those things that someone said once, then it disappeared from everyone's vocabulary forever. It is by far the dumbest city nickname I've ever heard. Just like IMISSNY's term, DH. Blech.

Tell me about it who could believe that I would use DH (Darling Husband) that is just so silly.

I am so glad that I dont live with people like you anymore, and franklin I am even more glad people like you are glad to see me gone.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:51 PM

8,153 posts, read 7,478,295 times
Quote:
Ok so Atlanta has the longest history of Black mayors, the confederate flag was redesigned in 2004. So having black mayors did what for Atlanta??

Georgia be it Atlanta or Buford is still the south. Anybody that's moved here from Cali, NYC, Miami, Chicago etc will tell you they have never seen so much emphasis put on race.

In Atlanta or Georgia its always a black and white thing, I have never experienced anything like this until moving here. Other people that have moved here will agree. So trying to use the point of Atlanta has the longest history of black mayors so how can we be racist down here is ludacris.(Not the rapper)

Who wanted to be black in Atlanta much less Georgia pre 1975????
Lets be real.The truth is race has always been tested here in Atlanta and the South.Historically its always been in your face.The same has been true in all of America.Except in places like LA or NYC is gets hidden really well behind all of its "diversity".Bensonhusrt(Brooklyn NYC),Miami tensions between the Cubans and everyone else from different Carribean countries.Especially the Cubans and Hatians.Maybe you should visit the LA forums and listen how people complained about growing up with tensions between blacks,and Latino's.

Just because it's not black and white does riot make it better.Who wanted to be black before 1975?Now you are really sounding ignorant.You could have easily said :"who wanted to be white before 1975?"Who would want to think that they could live their lives with evil hateful thoughts or watch innocent people become victimized?You either sound like you are a white so called liberal(or other) person who says:"but I have black friends,I can't be racist" or a black person who knows nothing more of his history but servitude and oppression.Blacks accomplished much in South without loosing much of their dignity.In fact I would dare say you should have asked who would want to be black in the South or anywhere TODAY?These small number of idiots that are ignoring the legacy of greatness that our forefathers gave us by drug dealing,killing and stealing make it seem as if they are the majority of us.

Oh yeh:"how can this city be racist,its so diverse?".That sounds "ludicrous" to me.When was the last racial riot in Atlanta in the last 40 years?NONE!The last one was in 1906.
In L.A.1992,2007
Miami-1980,1982,1989
D.C.-1991
NYC-1988,1989,1991

And you are upset about a flag?Truth is you are just looking for an excuse to not like it here.So stop trying to act as if it's Atlanta, when it would be almost any other city that you probably called home at some time.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Tell me about it who could believe that I would use DH (Darling Husband) that is just so silly.

I am so glad that I dont live with people like you anymore, and franklin I am even more glad people like you are glad to see me gone.
If you are gone,why are you still in the Atlanta rooms?LOL!!That is really crazy to me.When I leave something behind I leave it,I do not dwell.I lived in the NYC briefly.I loved it at first,but after 2 months I grew to HATE it.I never once after I left started telling everyone how "NYC claims to be the mega city of dreams'Even though I got my car ticketed and towed a couple of times because I forgot to move on the other side of the street on street cleaning days,or that I had to pay $6 each way to get on the Verrazano Bridge on may way home to crappy, racist, Staten Island where people seem to have very little class and taste but with lots of money.Or how rude people were when I told them I was from Georgia and they acted like I should be ashamed or something,or how many people I met that had NEVER even been to the West Coast,Midwest or the South yet had all kinds of opinions about it based on their "Cousin Viinny''s" road trip to Panama City for spring break.

Thing is you don't even see that it works both ways.So if you are gonna get on here and insult people about where the call home,you should be willing to accept the fact that most people are not gonna take it lying down!

Last edited by afonega1; 10-18-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Boy I never knew I few High-Rise Buildings, Gucci store, PF Changs and paved roads could make people so cocky not used to things ha??
Is that what you think world class is?Obviously you do since you brought it up

Old 10-18-2009, 07:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 19,600,032 times
Quote:
I knew you would jump on that again so predictable! That's why I did it!
Oh, yeah...I should have known that someone with your writing skills would be pulling a ruse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta