Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 PM

117 posts, read 254,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Walter Washington was APPOINTED before D.C. had home rule. You fail, again.

And I wouldn't be calling out anyone's schooling. You have obvious shortcomings in that area.

Name another majorority black major City that elected an out white lesbian as City Council President.

Oh wait, you can't.
Whatever you can twist & turn it however you like Walter Washington is still listed as a mayor. You fail!

Name another majorority black major City that elected an out white lesbian as City Council President. What the hell are you saying?????????????????? Are you trying to spell MAJORITY???? LOL!!

YOU FAIL AGAIN! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:00 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
It's not twist and turn. Atlanta does have a longer tradition of electing minority mayors. The first being Sam Massell who is jewish in 1970, then four black mayors after that. Technically speaking, Ivan Allen who became mayor in 1962 was jewish too (by his maternal grandparents) but he didn't identify as such, so I did not include him.

Like johnatl said, D.C. couldn't even elect mayors until 1975. If you aren't aware how different the political climate was in 1975 as opposed to 1970 Atlanta, well you don't know much about history.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's not twist and turn. Atlanta does have a longer tradition of electing minority mayors. The first being Sam Massell who is jewish in 1970, then four black mayors after that. Technically speaking, Ivan Allen who became mayor in 1962 was jewish too (by his maternal grandparents) but he didn't identify as such, so I did not include him.

Like johnatl said, D.C. couldn't even elect mayors until 1975. If you aren't aware how different the political climate was in 1975 as opposed to 1970 Atlanta, well you don't know much about history.
Ok so Atlanta has the longest history of Black mayors, the confederate flag was redesigned in 2004. So having black mayors did what for Atlanta??

Georgia be it Atlanta or Buford is still the south. Anybody that's moved here from Cali, NYC, Miami, Chicago etc will tell you they have never seen so much emphasis put on race.

In Atlanta or Georgia its always a black and white thing, I have never experienced anything like this until moving here. Other people that have moved here will agree. So trying to use the point of Atlanta has the longest history of black mayors so how can we be racist down here is ludacris.(Not the rapper)

Who wanted to be black in Atlanta much less Georgia pre 1975????

Old 10-18-2009, 02:51 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
Ok so Atlanta has the longest history of Black mayors, the confederate flag was redesigned in 2004. So having black mayors did what for Atlanta??

Georgia be it Atlanta or Buford is still the south. Anybody that's moved here from Cali, NYC, Miami, Chicago etc will tell you they have never seen so much emphasis put on race.

In Atlanta or Georgia its always a black and white thing, I have never experienced anything like this until moving here. Other people that have moved here will agree. So trying to use the point of Atlanta has the longest history of black mayors so how can we be racist down here is ludacris.(Not the rapper)

Who wanted to be black in Atlanta much less Georgia pre 1975????
Your ignorance is REALLY showing, big time.

You need to stop before you embarrass yourself further.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:51 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
So trying to use the point of Atlanta has the longest history of black mayors so how can we be racist down here is ludacris.(Not the rapper)
The word is L U D I C R O U S...if you had spelled it correctly in the first place, you wouldn't be having to make this distinction LOL.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:

Honestly...who is the only one harping on and complaining about race? Who is putting "so much emphasis" on race? It seems to be the person who is claiming to be enlightened.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I haven't seen a Confederate Flag in YEARS...but I don't go around looking for them either. There is a small minority of people all over the U.S. that loves to display this and similar other symbols of hate - that doesn't make the entire U.S. a bad place. A few backwards people don't define an entire area...but most of us are mature enough to understand things like this.
You guys must not live in Atlanta metro I assume. I've only been living here since 2007 ands see some about every day as the front license plate on somebody's car. Either that or a bumper sticker on the back. So it's hard to miss them and you don't have to be looking for them if you drive around often.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
You guys must not live in Atlanta metro I assume. I've only been living here since 2007 ands see some about every day as the front license plate on somebody's car. Either that or a bumper sticker on the back. So it's hard to miss them and you don't have to be looking for them if you drive around often.
I do live in the metro, the Northeastern quadrant ITP. I simply don't see them, but like others have said, I don't search for them either.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Whatever you say ask anybody you know from the states I mentioned and see what happens. You're in denial its ok fight for your world class city!

Atlanta is not what you think it is. Its a cool place and that's as far as it goes

Old 10-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The word is L U D I C R O U S...if you had spelled it correctly in the first place, you wouldn't be having to make this distinction LOL.
I knew you would jump on that again so predictable! That's why I did it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta