Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
It clearly is "classism". There no denying it. If you read the Clayton County Blog on the AJC website, you should see and read how the people refer to the people who ride and use the bus, its disgusting seeing other people talk down on people like that. Just cause you do not see it, doesnt mean that it is not their. Do you really think that destroying and canceling a service that actually has high ridership not classism. It would be diffierent if the system was failing the people that it serves, but it doesn't, it makes almost 2 million trips a year which is pretty good for 5 routes. It clearly is classism.
The AJC has more bile and vitriol than most of the forums and blogs I'm on, and that seems to be true regardless of the area of the metro or the subject matter being discussed.

It makes me wonder how representative the folks who participate on the AJC forums really are. Some of those folks seem to be there mainly to get attention and push other peoples' buttons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:32 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
I read three or four newspapers online on a regular basis and they all seem to attract the headcases. I typically don't read the comments because most of them are so foul and vile. I wouldn't consider them representative of the people in the county, because anyone can access them. Forums of all kinds attract trolls--people who just like to spew mean-spirited invective.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I read three or four newspapers online on a regular basis and they all seem to attract the headcases. I typically don't read the comments because most of them are so foul and vile. I wouldn't consider them representative of the people in the county, because anyone can access them. Forums of all kinds attract trolls--people who just like to spew mean-spirited invective.
Sure, some people are just out to get attention or to start up trouble. Granted. Maybe you include me in that category...don't know. Is your definition of "mean spirited" or a "troll" someone who disagrees with you?

I still haven't read any facts or a case made that what's happening in Clayton County is "classism" as you charge. Are the Commissioners all rich and so any decision they make affecting the poor is a classist decision?

Again, the people of Clayton County can hold their elected officials to account for their decisions and have the power to influence those decisions before they're made. Being poor isn't an excuse.

Where is the evidence of this classism? What exactly has been said that shows that this decision was made strictly on the basis of "class" and not due to fiscal or other factors? Maybe what you say is correct, but I've not seen any evidence to substantiate it and a lot of rhetoric tossed around. I will say again that I bet had this same decision been made by a majority white group of commissioners, the race card would be tossed around. Because the commission is mainly black in its makeup, "class" is being substituted, since we all know that no decision can be an honest one, there always has to be an ulterior motive.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Interesting. It is a lot of money on the table as far as fares go. 1.50 x 55 riders x 2 routes x 38 trips = $$$ Who doesnt want that money?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:12 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
What are you talking about? I know it's hard to believe, dude, but I wasn't talking about, or even thinking about you. Most of the posts on those newspaper boards would never be allowed in this forum. I was merely telling the OP that she shouldn't judge the people in Clayton county by what's posted on those boards. Anyone can post there, and usually do. Mainly to start up trouble. And I have no idea why you directed the rest of your post to me. I have no dog (or even interest) in this fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sure, some people are just out to get attention or to start up trouble. Granted. Maybe you include me in that category...don't know. Is your definition of "mean spirited" or a "troll" someone who disagrees with you?

I still haven't read any facts or a case made that what's happening in Clayton County is "classism" as you charge. Are the Commissioners all rich and so any decision they make affecting the poor is a classist decision?

Again, the people of Clayton County can hold their elected officials to account for their decisions and have the power to influence those decisions before they're made. Being poor isn't an excuse.

Where is the evidence of this classism? What exactly has been said that shows that this decision was made strictly on the basis of "class" and not due to fiscal or other factors? Maybe what you say is correct, but I've not seen any evidence to substantiate it and a lot of rhetoric tossed around. I will say again that I bet had this same decision been made by a majority white group of commissioners, the race card would be tossed around. Because the commission is mainly black in its makeup, "class" is being substituted, since we all know that no decision can be an honest one, there always has to be an ulterior motive.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:22 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
I agree.

The irony is that the AJC has long been accused of having a leftwing bias & not showcasing enough... how do I put this... "diverse" opinions. When a person look at the opinions written by some of these presumed Atlantans on online public forums on articles concerning Metropolitan Atlanta...wow.

That person will see an entirely different world. But for my part at least I get to know what some of my fellow Georgians are REALLY thinking about. It's definitely NOT the sanitized "we are the world" P.C. stuff that's put out by the media, that much is for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The AJC has more bile and vitriol than most of the forums and blogs I'm on, and that seems to be true regardless of the area of the metro or the subject matter being discussed.

It makes me wonder how representative the folks who participate on the AJC forums really are. Some of those folks seem to be there mainly to get attention and push other peoples' buttons.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 PM

63 posts, read 143,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obanks View Post
Shame on you Clayton County Government and the State of Georgia,... Shame on you...After the little bit of good news posted in my previous post this Past Christmas day a report came out that Clayton County commissioners failed to take up the resolution that would have extended Ctran and would have given them 2.1 million dollars in federal dollars. Not only that they will have to repay over 2 million dollars...Either its me or some somebody over there wants that transit system gone asap....Now this is a story to watch and the closer to shut down it gets an up roar will probally come out of this...This is a major civil right issue and i think metro atlanta is about to hit radar in a major way with negative press all over clayton county and it commissioners....Sorry to say it but i hope it hits them hard and a lot of commissioners are probally going to lose their jobs and not be re elected...Very deserving of a State and County that does not care about people... very in humaine...
Less than a month from schedule shut down and it's hitting the fan....Great!!! Hope this goes national and the media stays on it...... Clayton county and the state of Georgia are a disgrace to our united states and our citizens...those representatives need to be kicked out
of office if they talk about another road.....

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Atlanta needs a consolidated government.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Atlanta needs a consolidated government.
I agree, There does need to be one government working for the well being of the Metro Area.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I agree, There does need to be one government working for the well being of the Metro Area.
They could start small. At least the 5 main counties, All the police, fire & rescue and Transportation should be under the same leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta